Value of: Johnny Hockey

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
"It's hard to say cause I'm right in the middle of a contract right now and Calgary's been so great to me but obviously, playing in your own country and playing close to the East Coast and playing close to your family is something that sounds really great at times. I think a lot of players like to play in their own country."

"It would be a lot easier for my family and friends to be able to watch a few games in their own time zone instead of two time zones away. I remember last year in the playoffs, my parents are like, ‘We're getting to bed at 1 and 2 in the morning, we're so jacked up from the game. How are we supposed to go to bed when we don't fall asleep until 4 a.m.!’ I'm like, I'm sorry it's far, far away. But it was a great first few seasons and I know they enjoyed it."

Gaudreau talks on Philly sports radio.

Seem people like to twist things . He never said anything about a trade , or not signing with the Flames . He said he liked the Flames and the city of Calgary and him and Monahan talked about being there LT . I guess this is similar to the Leafs fans going on about McDavid face when the oilers won the lottery . Twisting anything to suit you point of view is easy . McDavid will be in Edmonton LT unless the coach or GM pisses him off , not likely and the same goes for Johnny Hockey .

Shaping up to be the real battle of Alberta again :handclap:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
basically me just saying he's not 2x the player when they are both elite LW's. But i know it might get him a little riled up to see them as comparable.

Different players . Hall will put up points Johnny will score more goals but point wise it will be close . I would be a little worry about Johnny taking a big hit from some of the hard hitters of the NHL at his size

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What kind of package are you talking? The Isles are one team that are close to his home and have some very nice assets.

Some combination of Hamonic, Strome, Barzal, Dal Colle possibly?

Idk but he's better than every other islanders forward not named Tavares. Isles have a deep prospect pool and could afford to make a move.

The only question is what would the flames want? Do they want more established players? Prospects? Future picks? A combination of the 3?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Idk but he's better than every other islanders forward not named Tavares. Isles have a deep prospect pool and could afford to make a move.

The only question is what would the flames want? Do they want more established players? Prospects? Future picks? A combination of the 3?

Well we are rebuilding, so really I'd say it would come down to the overall quality of assets being offered to improve the Flames long term.

We have a hole on our 2nd pairing. Hamonic and Dougie would give us the best top 4 in the NHL.

Personally I love Barzal, his skill would replace some of the gap moving Johnny would leave behind. To me, at the WJC's Barzal was Canada's best forward, better than Marner and Strome, I'm a HUGE fan.

Would Gaudreau, Backlund for Hamonic, Strome and Barzal be a deal that works?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I think Gaudreau is definitely a smarter player, a better offensive generator and will score 75-90pts for the next 5-7 years. I think Hall is a 70-80pt forward, who is lesser playmaker, less intelligent player, but is also terror to defend and is a dynamic goalscoring winger.

Like I said I'd take Gaudreau, but if Johnny ever had to be dealt we could do far worse than Hall.

Larsson?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
What's your beef with Hamonic? Why do you want to get rid of our best shutdown defender?

No beef at all. I just understand that in order to get, you need to give....and right now, Isles are deep enough on defense that they can get by without him. He also holds bigtime value.

Hammer is a solid solid dman, but man, Johnny Hockey is a stud. You ain't getting him for Thomas Hickey and a prospect.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
In the unlikely event he forces a trade to play on the East Coast (.0001% chance - won't happen):

Hanifin + Teravainen

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
For conversations sake, Schneider for Gaudreau

By 'conversations sake' you really mean 'to get a reaction'. It's well documented goalies do not have high value, even the elite, top tier goalies like Schneider.

I'd even hesitate to trade Johnny for Schenn + Provorov....and I am in love with Provorov. I think he has a great shot at ending up as a #1 D, but the risk trading someone like Johnny is so high.

There's no doubt he would get a massive return. The benefit of someone like Johnny is not just his performance on the ice, it's the $$$$ he brings to an organisation. Johnny on Philly would be a marketing dream.

Mackinnon, Ekblad, Forsberg are the sort of people you would expect in return. Hard to see any team giving up a player like that. The guys who haven't quite made it in the NHL yet, but are still top prospects (excluding Matthews and Laine) don't get it done without significant adds IMO.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
By 'conversations sake' you really mean 'to get a reaction'. It's well documented goalies do not have high value, even the elite, top tier goalies like Schneider.

I'd even hesitate to trade Johnny for Schenn + Provorov....and I am in love with Provorov. I think he has a great shot at ending up as a #1 D, but the risk trading someone like Johnny is so high.

There's no doubt he would get a massive return. The benefit of someone like Johnny is not just his performance on the ice, it's the $$$$ he brings to an organisation. Johnny on Philly would be a marketing dream.

Mackinnon, Ekblad, Forsberg are the sort of people you would expect in return. Hard to see any team giving up a player like that. The guys who haven't quite made it in the NHL yet, but are still top prospects (excluding Matthews and Laine) don't get it done without significant adds IMO.

Schneider already returned a 9th overall pick which turned in Bo Horvat. Schneider was a less established goalie at that point.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wouldn't move Couturier, but I would do Schenn, Schultz and a 1st. Doubt that's enough or that Calgary would do a quantity for quality deal. I think a fair trade is Simmonds + Sanheim, not saying I would do it.

I wouldn't go that far. I take Johnny over Hall, but not by too much. Both are PPG wingers.

Hall is a 62.5 point player over the last 2 seasons. He may have been a PPG player once but he hasn't been lately.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013

Well I got a conversation and a reaction I guess? I didn't intend on rustling anyone's jimmies, everybody's so hostile this time of year.

Schneider is the type of goalie/player that could bring a fringe team like Calgary to clinching an early playoff spot he's that good and criminally underrated.

Besides Ekblad the other two players are fair value to what Gaudreau brings skillset, vision, makes his linemates better. But lacks that playoff series changing drive, the physicality to overtake a game by sheer will like Ekblad will have Schneider does have.

New Jersey has no-one to fill the void left by Schneider and Calgary's offence would be in shambles without Gaudreau. It's not a trade that would work but the player for player value is definitely there.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
Schneider already returned a 9th overall pick which turned in Bo Horvat. Schneider was a less established goalie at that point.

Yeah no doubt. I think he is worth more than that now, maybe even a top 5 pick, but Johnny is worth signficantly more than that. I could be wrong, though.

nucksauce said:
Well I got a conversation and a reaction I guess? I didn't intend on rustling anyone's jimmies, everybody's so hostile this time of year.

Schneider is the type of goalie/player that could bring a fringe team like Calgary to clinching an early playoff spot he's that good and criminally underrated.

Besides Ekblad the other two players are fair value to what Gaudreau brings skillset, vision, makes his linemates better. But lacks that playoff series changing drive, the physicality to overtake a game by sheer will like Ekblad will have Schneider does have.

New Jersey has no-one to fill the void left by Schneider and Calgary's offence would be in shambles without Gaudreau. It's not a trade that would work but the player for player value is definitely there.

Fair play. Didn't mean to come across as a dick. Schneider is awesome, if the Flames could have any goalie in the league he would be the pick for me.

I disagree that Johnny does not have the playoff series changing drive to takeover a game. I think he is similar to Kane in the sense that his skill level is a gamechanger, whether it's in the regular season or playoffs.

Player for player I just don't see equivalent value. Schneider is a 30 yo elite goalie. Johnny is a 23 yo elite winger. We know that goalies of similar skill level(in this instance elite) are < players in other positions. Johnny is younger and has not hit his ceiling. I don't think I am reaching here to politely disagree.

When you consider players like Mac/Forsberg...Johnny is better then these guys right now. Sure, they may be better one day, but it's very possible they won't be....so is that fair value. Even Ekblad isn't as good right now, although I would not trade Ekblad for Johnny as a FLA fan. It's all about potential, eh? I would do it for Laine.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As much as I would love to see the Flames suffer, Johnny isn't going anywhere. He's a franchise player and special talent. He's loved in CGY and he's the most marketable athlete for that franchise.

A deal will get done, CGY will likely have to pay 7+ M per year but that's the going rate for franchise wingers (see: Tarasenko).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad