Value of: Johnny Hockey

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I dunno, I'm a neutral observer but given Gaudreaus importance to the franchise, his production now and in the future, etc. I'm thinking that he should command a 7mm avv contract over say 6 yrs. front loaded with bonuses so this will give him financial stability as well as the fact that he is young enough to cash in on a nice 2nd contract into his 30s if he is who he says he is.

That's a brutal contract for Calgary.

He'd be lucky to get 6.375 on a six year contract.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
If you're talking about 15-16 then yes Monahan and Gaudreau played most of the season together, but if you're talking about 14-15 then you are mistaken, besides power-play Monahan and Gaudreau didn't play with each other frequently until February. In the case that my eyes are deceiving me, please post the source as to where you got that they spent 50% of the season together.

Dobberhockey.com. Won't post the whole thing but here are the top Even Strength combinations.

14-15 Regular Season
37.88% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - HUDLER,JIRI - MONAHAN,SEAN
13.57% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - HUDLER,JIRI - JOORIS,JOSH
11.8% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - GRANLUND,MARKUS - HUDLER,JIRI
3.08% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - HUDLER,JIRI
2.9% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - JONES,DAVID - MONAHAN,SEAN
2.43% EV COLBORNE,JOE - GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - RAYMOND,MASON
2.32% EV COLBORNE,JOE - GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - MONAHAN,SEAN

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Dobberhockey.com. Won't post the whole thing but here are the top Even Strength combinations.

14-15 Regular Season
37.88% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - HUDLER,JIRI - MONAHAN,SEAN
13.57% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - HUDLER,JIRI - JOORIS,JOSH
11.8% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - GRANLUND,MARKUS - HUDLER,JIRI
3.08% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - HUDLER,JIRI
2.9% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - JONES,DAVID - MONAHAN,SEAN
2.43% EV COLBORNE,JOE - GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - RAYMOND,MASON
2.32% EV COLBORNE,JOE - GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - MONAHAN,SEAN

So 43% of the time with Monahan compared to 66.33% with Hudler.

Sounds about right. That's pretty much February.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
So 43% of the time with Monahan compared to 66.33% with Hudler.

Sounds about right. That's pretty much February.

Keep in mind (unless your last name is Sedin) it's not usually anywhere near 100%, even for players who are seemingly always together. Kane and Panarin, for example, we're pretty locked together the vast majority of the season in my mind, and they are at about 73%.

At even strength, 49% of his time was spent with Monahan as his center.
Jooris looks to be about 18%.
Granlund maybe 14%.
The rest is a mix of Backlund, Colborne, Stajan, or a hodge podge.
So it was stated that Jooris + Granlund were where he spent most of his time, but even combined it's 32% vs. 49%.

If Gaudreau only started spending significant time with Monahan in mid-Feb, I would think their total-season EV time together would be more like 20% tops.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Keep in mind (unless your last name is Sedin) it's not usually anywhere near 100%, even for players who are seemingly always together. Kane and Panarin, for example, we're pretty locked together the vast majority of the season in my mind, and they are at about 73%.

At even strength, 49% of his time was spent with Monahan as his center.
Jooris looks to be about 18%.
Granlund maybe 14%.
The rest is a mix of Backlund, Colborne, Stajan, or a hodge podge.
So it was stated that Jooris + Granlund were where he spent most of his time, but even combined it's 32% vs. 49%.

If Gaudreau only started spending significant time with Monahan in mid-Feb, I would think their total-season EV time together would be more like 20% tops.

They were at about 86% this year. Which is the same as they were from February onward.

Gaudreau's minutes also skyrocketed up after the first half of the year. They weren't on the same line until February. Trust me. People were outraged that we were wasting Gaudreau on the third line for 30 games.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He'd be lucky to get 6.375 on a six year contract.

Nonsense.

Points are what gets players paid in this league. And for the same reason Monahan got a little more than his comparables despite being tremendously overrated defensively, Gaudreau would get more given he put up more points, one less UFA year or not.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Nonsense.

Points are what gets players paid in this league. And for the same reason Monahan got a little more than his comparables despite being tremendously overrated defensively, Gaudreau would get more given he put up more points, one less UFA year or not.

That's not how it works at all. Barkov and Monahan pretty much got the same value contract. Monahan went for a 7th year so he got a raise. Gaudreau is about

7.20M for 8 years
6.75M for 7 years
6.35M for 6 years
5.90M for 5 years

Those are all roughly equal value when looking at RFA vs UFA years. $7M for 6 years is a bad contract. Horrible even when you consider it's only one UFA year.

RDubya

Jun 7, 2015
Did people on here overrate Jordan eberle this much after his first 2 seasons? Holy kamole.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
That's not how it works at all. Barkov and Monahan pretty much got the same value contract. Monahan went for a 7th year so he got a raise. Gaudreau is about

7.20M for 8 years
6.75M for 7 years
6.35M for 6 years
5.90M for 5 years

Those are all roughly equal value when looking at RFA vs UFA years. $7M for 6 years is a bad contract. Horrible even when you consider it's only one UFA year.

He's not getting less than 6, even if he takes a 4 year deal.

Expect a 7m a year for 5 year minimum.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Expect a 7m a year for 5 year minimum.

You voted here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=131439

That Hall > Gaudreau.

If Gaudreau is inferior to a player who signed for 6x6 (64.3M cap) then he should be paid less. Accounting for cap inflation that is a 6.8x6

The minimum would be below 6.8 x 6 if Halk > Gaudreau

If they are equal then only way Johnny gets over 6.8 is with more term.

He is not getting even 6.8M for less than six years term.

Jokerz1

Apr 28, 2015
Just a stupid Bruins fan here but maybe Krug, Pastrnak, Senyshn, 1st+ for Gaudreau

victor

Sep 6, 2003
You voted here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=131439

That Hall > Gaudreau.

If Gaudreau is inferior to a player who signed for 6x6 (64.3M cap) then he should be paid less. Accounting for cap inflation that is a 6.8x6

The minimum would be below 6.8 x 6 if Halk > Gaudreau

If they are equal then only way Johnny gets over 6.8 is with more term.

He is not getting even 6.8M for less than six years term.

Hall signed a contract extension on August 22nd, early into his RFA period, for 7 years at $42m. He still had an entire year left on his ELC at this point.

NHL.com

Gaudreau is coming up on the end of his contract.

Here's where they were in February.

Why is it taking so long? What does Gaudreau's agent (Lewis Gross) want?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hall signed a contract extension on August 22nd, early into his RFA period, for 7 years at $42m. He still had an entire year left on his ELC at this point.

NHL.com

Gaudreau is coming up on the end of his contract.

Here's where they were in February.

Why is it taking so long? What does Gaudreau's agent (Lewis Gross) want?

Johney hockey said he isn't talking about contracts until the world cup is done so until north America is out we won't see a contract

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Johney hockey said he isn't talking about contracts until the world cup is done so until north America is out we won't see a contract

So, what do you think the contract will be after the world cup?

Will Gaudreau's agent or Trevliving blink?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

He can't sign an offer sheet which is annoying to him but I think he can wait till the flames are about to start playing and get what he wants. Maybe less for short term or 7 ish long term.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

I think part of the wait is for Johnny and his agent to compare to others on the NA team as well as other teams at the tournament. If he can walk out of the tournament with top 5 in points, and a medal - it would be hard for BT and the flames to argue it was a fluke season last year (and that he projects to be a top 5-10 player and should be paid as such).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad