Value of: Johnny Hockey

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
With Contract talks broken off for the the WC, and rumours of Johnny wanting to be closer to home, what would your team give up for Johnny Gaudreau?
First off there are zero credible rumors, like none, zilch, nada, secondly, it would take at least any teams top young player and in most cases more than that. He is a special player that brings butts into an arena and makes them rise from their seats numerous times in a game. He is extremely valuable.

Think McDavid, MacKinnon, Barkov etc.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
First off there are zero credible rumors, like none, zilch, nada, secondly, it would take at least any teams top young player and in most cases more than that. He is a special player that brings butts into an arena and makes them rise from their seats numerous times in a game. He is extremely valuable.

I've been told that his long term asks are high. And that he'd sign for less out east.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
First off there are zero credible rumors, like none, zilch, nada, secondly, it would take at least any teams top young player and in most cases more than that.

"It's hard to say cause I'm right in the middle of a contract right now and Calgary's been so great to me but obviously, playing in your own country and playing close to the East Coast and playing close to your family is something that sounds really great at times. I think a lot of players like to play in their own country."

"It would be a lot easier for my family and friends to be able to watch a few games in their own time zone instead of two time zones away. I remember last year in the playoffs, my parents are like, ‘We're getting to bed at 1 and 2 in the morning, we're so jacked up from the game. How are we supposed to go to bed when we don't fall asleep until 4 a.m.!’ I'm like, I'm sorry it's far, far away. But it was a great first few seasons and I know they enjoyed it."

Gaudreau talks on Philly sports radio.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

One of those is not like the other, and that one, Gaudreau would not even come close to returning.

With that said Gaudreau is a very valuable piece. I'm sure he'll stay in Calgary and would feel bad for the fans there if he wanted out. I know the pain from Pronger, and wouldn't wish that on any fanbase, even if I hate the team.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
With Contract talks broken off for the the WC

Players don't like to play with distractions. That's not limited to the World Cup... some players won't negotiate extensions during the regular NHL season.

rumours of Johnny wanting to be closer to home

Exaggerated rumours.

"“One of the reasons I can stay in Calgary so long is because I can go home every summer and spend time with my family out east.”

Gaudreau said. "[Monahan and I are] really excited we’re in Calgary. It’s a great city that’s so passionate about hockey, and the fans are great to us. We both want to be there for a long time with how great that city’s treated us the past two years."

Yes Johnny would like to finish his career in a Flyers jersey. But that's not unlike Martin St. Louis finishing his career in a Rangers jersey. Doesn't mean he's looking to bolt during his prime.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
"It's hard to say cause I'm right in the middle of a contract right now and Calgary's been so great to me but obviously, playing in your own country and playing close to the East Coast and playing close to your family is something that sounds really great at times. I think a lot of players like to play in their own country."

"It would be a lot easier for my family and friends to be able to watch a few games in their own time zone instead of two time zones away. I remember last year in the playoffs, my parents are like, ‘We're getting to bed at 1 and 2 in the morning, we're so jacked up from the game. How are we supposed to go to bed when we don't fall asleep until 4 a.m.!’ I'm like, I'm sorry it's far, far away. But it was a great first few seasons and I know they enjoyed it."

Gaudreau talks on Philly sports radio.
That's still not a rumor of him wanting to leave :shakehead

He's talking on hometown radio, what's he suppose to say? yeah I would hate having my family see more live games or philly sucks?

He also says this: "It's a fun, fun city to play in for me."

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Here's the thing: Flames own his rights for 4 or 5 more seasons. He isn't going anywhere in the meantime.

Look at Stamkos, gets to UFA, realizes if he wants big money he's gotta go to some junk team. Hopefully the Flames will be a juggernaught in five years and then Johnny will have no reason to leave.

Can we wait at least three years before we perpetuate these ridiculous rumours?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's still not a rumor of him wanting to leave :shakehead

He's talking on hometown radio, what's he suppose to say? yeah I would hate having my family see more live games or philly sucks?

He also says this: "It's a fun, fun city to play in for me."

Exactly this. When Iginla was traded he was asked if he would like to end his career in Calgary, he said "it is very hard to leave and it would be easy to comeback".

Of course Johnny is gonna say those things, he's a bright guy. He's not gonna say, "I would never want to play here, I don't like the idea of playing in front of family and friends". No one knows how his career will unfold, but if Calgary is a contender every year and treats him well both personally and financially while fielding a competitive team, what reason does he have to leave?

In regards to OP, I'd want MacKinnon, Eichel, Barkov, Mathews, Laine, Kucherov, Forsberg, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad