Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Armia could develop into a Semin type or maybe a Satan type. Inconsistent but talented and deadly at times. It would be a shame if he topped out as a decent 3rd liner.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Joel Armia downside -> Niklas Hagman

Joel Armia topside -> Ilja Kovalchuck or better

Damn this kid has been good. The media here would be raving about him if it weren't for Barkov and the lockoutees.

First of all, how the hell is Armia's downside Hagman when he clearly has much better tools and doesnt even play the same style? Secondly stop overhyping our prospects. Armia is currently my favorite finnish prospect but there's just no way he can become as an explosive skater as Kovy and its pretty much a safe bet that he wont score 50 goals.

The Semin comparison is pretty good. Armia doesnt have quite the shot arsenal Semin has but he has the size advantage.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
When think of big goalscorers who are not exactly powerforward, I think of Dany Heatley. Although Armia is more skilltype player, than Heatley.

Semin comparision is good, but Armia is bigger and Semin is even more about skill and skating. Armia is somewhere between Heatley and Semin.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
When think of big goalscorers who are not exactly powerforward, I think of Dany Heatley. Although Armia is more skilltype player, than Heatley.

Semin comparision is good, but Armia is bigger and Semin is even more about skill and skating. Armia is somewhere between Heatley and Semin.

Yeah, agreed. Armia is more like Heatley, es. what Heatley was some years ago. Nowhere to be seen but then suddenly puck is in the net and Heatley was the man to do it.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Did a shift by shift video of his last game (10/6 vs. TPS):

Sorry if it's a little pixelated, I would have down a two pass render but it would have taken five hours instead of two and a half. :laugh:

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
I would say that inconsistency is the main issue with his play. Otherwise, he has all the tools of becoming NHL superstar. If that issue gets fixed, the hockey world will be amazed.

I also loved the report from HF about Armias strengths: big power forward with some scoring ability, future grinder. I mean for real, if Armia has little goal scoring ability, I would like to see those prospects with a lot of goal scoring abilities. As Armia scored as 17-year old with pace of 0,33 GPG at FEL, these guys should bomb like 40-45 goals seasons in FEL/SEL and over 80 in OHL.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
I would say that inconsistency is the main issue with his play. Otherwise, he has all the tools of becoming NHL superstar. If that issue gets fixed, the hockey world will be amazed.

I also loved the report from HF about Armias strengths: big power forward with some scoring ability, future grinder. I mean for real, if Armia has little goal scoring ability, I would like to see those prospects with a lot of goal scoring abilities. As Armia scored as 17-year old with pace of 0,33 GPG at FEL, these guys should bomb like 40-45 goals seasons in FEL/SEL and over 80 in OHL.

Haha that is a terrible scouting report by hf. Armia is a total skill player with a terrific shot and enviable explosiveness. My biggest problem with Armia is that at 6'3 he plays quite undersized and loses quite a few puck battles. He is definitely a dangler.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
My biggest problem with Armia is that at 6'3 he plays quite undersized and loses quite a few puck battles.
I mean he isn't the most physical guy out there hitting all the time, but he actually has done well in puck battles so far this season from what I've seen.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Haha that is a terrible scouting report by hf. Armia is a total skill player with a terrific shot and enviable explosiveness. My biggest problem with Armia is that at 6'3 he plays quite undersized and loses quite a few puck battles. He is definitely a dangler.

I agree with terrible scouting report. Absolutely a skill forward, not a grit guy by any stretch of the imagination. The only way in which he resembles a powerforward at all is when he's decided he really, really wants a goal and just fights his way to the front of the net to get it. But it looks like this year he's done much better winning puck battles, and he does use his size pretty darn well when it comes to protecting the puck.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
I agree with terrible scouting report. Absolutely a skill forward, not a grit guy by any stretch of the imagination. The only way in which he resembles a powerforward at all is when he's decided he really, really wants a goal and just fights his way to the front of the net to get it. But it looks like this year he's done much better winning puck battles, and he does use his size pretty darn well when it comes to protecting the puck.
Puck battles have been a bit of a problem. What I mean is that instead of passing the puck from the corner when he has had the chance, Armia has more often than not just tried to battle there with a couple of guys and not being that successful. A bigger problem for Armia right now is his line's center Mika Niemi, who has literally slowed down after the great start and right now Joel isn't really getting into those 1on1-situation where he really shines.

Got a great pass from other linemate Michael Ryan yesterday and scored a goal with a nice little tap in near the goal. Only played a bit under 11 because of all the penalty killing.

Armia got outplayed badly by 2 years younger Barkov. Wasn't impressed on Armia. Loved Joensuu, he's beast.
Edit. Barkov outplaying most forwards in SM-liiga at the moment.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Armia got outplayed badly by 2 years younger Barkov. Wasn't impressed on Armia. Loved Joensuu, he's beast.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
This, getting outplayed by some soft kid who just turned 17 few weeks ago. Embarrassing. He should just quit hockey and do something else.

Yeah, I don't think the Sabres will ever bring over Joel Armia at his point. Maybe he can acquire a vocation, carpentry perhaps. Maybe a bus painter, something like that.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Got some small hit to his head in the first period and just to be safe won't play for the rest of the game today.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad