Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He means Barkov. And it's pretty much true.

Comparing Barkov to Armia doesn't make any sense. Barkov will likely go top 5, probably top 3 in this year's draft. I think if he was from North America he would be labeled a franchise talent the way MacKinnon is. In fact on many lists during the year he will probably be listed #2 behind Jones and before MacKinnon from time to time. His age really doesn't matter when comparing him to Armia, everyone but Armia's mother knows that Barkov is the better player. That doesn't mean Armia can't have a good NHL career.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Comparing Barkov to Armia doesn't make any sense. Barkov will likely go top 5, probably top 3 in this year's draft. I think if he was from North America he would be labeled a franchise talent the way MacKinnon is. In fact on many lists during the year he will probably be listed #2 behind Jones and before MacKinnon from time to time. His age really doesn't matter when comparing him to Armia, everyone but Armia's mother knows that Barkov is the better player. That doesn't mean Armia can't have a good NHL career.
No, but it makes you question just how good his NHL career will end up being.

Barkov is out there competing every shift, making things happen, and is being trusted to be the most important player for his team as a young 17 year old and 19 year old Armia is most likely floating around waiting for an opportunity to pounce and subsequently turn the puck over.
They're fundamentally different players, but it's still disconcerting to see the gap between the two.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Barkov is out there competing every shift, making things happen, and is being trusted to be the most important player for his team as a young 17 year old and 19 year old Armia is most likely floating around waiting for an opportunity to pounce and subsequently turn the puck over.
They're fundamentally different players, but it's still disconcerting to see the gap between the two.

As someone who never really cared for the Armia pick to begin with it doesn't surprise me. He's never going ton win any coaches awards. I don't think he plays like Vanek as some people do but he has Vanek's demeanor to me. Some games he looks like he is giving 110% effort all over the ice but more often than not he doesn't wear his effort on his sleeve. When you are a player that doesn't hit, play amazing defense or take face-offs you can look like a very lazy player doing that.

I didn't like the pick because it felt much like the Zagrapan pick but at least Armia will be a perennial 20 goal scorer at the NHL level with his shot. I just know he is going to annoy the **** out of me doing it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

There's a reason Barkov is in top 5 discussion and Armia was a mid-first pick. It's because Barkov is a more impressive prospect. I don't really find it all that disconcerting. That there are better players than Armia doesn't mean Armia won't pan out.
I'd also bet good money Armia would look much better if he actually had a linemate who could set him up considering he's definitely a shoot-first kind of player. In the WJCs, for instance, he's been a significant player for Finland, only being outscored by Granlund and Pulkinen last year (5+2 in 7 games), and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a Fin who wouldn't slot him on their top line this year. But he's playing with Michael freaking Ryan.

Armia's game has flaws for sure. I'm not arguing otherwise. But I don't think there's a single Sabres fan that expects him to be the kind of player who carries an offense or, like, PKs. I expect him to be an effective goal-scorer and a strong presence on the forecheck, and I haven't seen anything from so far him that indicates he won't be able to do that.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Redirects a shot in front of the goal and now has one goal and one assist against Ilves with about 10 minutes left in the game.

Last edited:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Played a total of 22.32 today against KalPa, what is very likely the most he has played in a single game. Didn't have much going for him for the most part of the game, but was absolutely dominant in the final 10min or so when he also scored the last goal of the game to make it 3-4 for Ässät. Still kinda weird to see how much his level of play can fluctuate even during a single match.

Now in 17 games he has gathered 8 goals (3 on the pp), 4 assists and 12 penalty minutes while being +3.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Had a pretty good game today against Blues. Gave good passes, didn't try to do things too much by himself and in general this year has been drawing penalties for the other teams instead for himself. Could be a bit more patient on scoring chances though.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Im watching Ässät-Lukko game and it is very entertaining. These two themes are big rivalries in FEL. In the season opener Armia was in flames and scored two goals. Tonight he has played very well too in the first period which is over now. He was unlucky to not get an assist. He can really cover the puck well and shoot fast.

Im really looking forward to second period, i have this feeling in my ass that he scores tonight.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
He served a perfect scoring opportunity to Pihlman, who decided to shoot it a mile wide. Armia couldn't have played that 2-on-1 better.

3-3, 6 mins to go

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Scored with a wrister with 5 minutes left in the game and Ässät now leading Jokerit 3-2.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I always get the same feeling watching this kid play. He oozes potential but somehow he just doesn't give it all-.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Also gave a pass to Jesse Joensuu to a breakaway, but he didn't score on it.
Kilpeläinen... :facepalm:
Didn't actually see the game this time so had to watch the highlights afterwards. :laugh:
I always get the same feeling watching this kid play. He oozes potential but somehow he just doesn't give it all-.
The team around him is feeding him with that mentality.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
What's wrong with Armia? His point totals are not impressive, has he regressed or is it just that he hasn't had much luck go his way? IIRC he suffered a concussion earlier in the season, is that affecting his play?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What's wrong with Armia? His point totals are not impressive, has he regressed or is it just that he hasn't had much luck go his way? IIRC he suffered a concussion earlier in the season, is that affecting his play?

No, no, as you said above he is just 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00