Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Looks like a pretty good prospect for sure. He made the Under-17 WHC all star team with five goals and three assists in five games last year and had two goals and four assists in four games at the Ivan Hlinka this year. I assume he'll continue his strong international career as a member of the Under 20 Finnish team this year in Buffalo?

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I assume he'll continue his strong international career as a member of the Under 20 Finnish team this year in Buffalo?

Hopefully. Team Finland is pretty stacked this year (first time in years) so there are very few "obvious choices". I really hope Armia makes the team.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

For Finland people really need to watch out for

Last|First|Position|Team|League|G|A|P|GP|GAA|S%|W|GP
Armia|Joel|Forward|Ässät|SM-Liiga Sr|2|2|4|5
Gibson|Christopher|Goaltender|Chicoutimi||||||1.78|0.941|4|5
Granlund|Markus|Forward|HIFK|SM-Liiga U20|1|2|3|4
Kokkonen|Jesper|Forward|Ilves|SM-Liiga U18|3|2|5|5
Partanen|Mika|Forward|Mississauga|OHL|2|1|3|4
Salminen|Sami|Forward|HIFK|SM-Liiga U20|0|1|1|2
Salomäki|Miikka|Forward|Kärpät|SM-Liiga Sr|1|1|2|5

Can we get more for this list? :handclap:

EDIT: This is Chris Gibson?
103183-christopher-gibson.jpg

:help:

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
This guy deserves his own topic!

It is just amazing how quickly this guy has developed. One year ago he played in U18, now he plays in SM-liiga. Last spring I was concerned about his skating and didn't believe that he would make it to SM-liiga because of that. He looked slow with juniors. Now he's doing just fine against men!

He has size and skill and he can use both. He hits when he has the chance and his shot is very good for someone at his age (not in the level of Pulkkinen though).

Yesterday he was amazing. The best player on ice for sure! I was impressed by him before he got any points. In the end he got three including great pass and huge goal. It also seemed that Armia is quickly becoming new favorite player for the fans.

If he continues like this, he will be chosen to WJC and after that he might be Finland's next first round pick.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
This.

This.

This.

This.

If he continues like this, he will be chosen to WJC and after that he might be Finland's next first round pick.
If he continues playing like he has for the five first games and continues getting icetime in the 1-2 lines he will be Finland's next first rounder (I would seriously doupt 30 other youngsters would have more interest than Armia at that point after a solid year in SM-liiga from this 17-year old, 6'4 tall attacker with great skills and a right-handed shot), we would only have to worry about how high would he go in the first round.

...and with some more muscle, oh man.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
EDIT: This is Chris Gibson?
103183-christopher-gibson.jpg

:help:

Yes. He's actually originally from the Espoo Blues organisation(Jäähonka, to be precise) but decided early on to move to NA because of hockey. I guess his dad is possibly American/Canadian?

Apparently he's off to a very solid start with Chicoutimi in the Q.

As of Armia, I expect him to be a serious contender for Pulkkinen in the race of the rookie of the year. He has all the tools to be a great player and that's something very special in Finland these days...

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
I was going to make thread about Armia but you did first! :handclap:

I believe he will be in U20 WJC team. Huge size, sniper, right, soft hands... Let's hype like mid first rounder and see Armia going in 4th round like Pulkkinen :shakehead

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
I believe he will be in U20 WJC team. Huge size, sniper, right, soft hands... Let's hype like mid first rounder and see Armia going in 4th round like Pulkkinen :shakehead
I really think the injury Pulkkinen suffored the year just before the draft was the big factor why he fell in it, even though to us Finns the hugeness of the drop was almost pretty funny. It would be just mind-boggling, if he would stay healthy the whole season and continues his good play and just being solid in SM-liiga and A-juniors (knock on wood) and still would fall like crazy. Well anything is possible in the draft.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He has an assist today against Blues.

Another Finnish '11 Draft-prospect to watch this season is JyP goalie Samu Perhonen. Central scouting's director of European scouting Göran Stubb seems to be very high on this kid.

Born in march -93, he has good size (6'03) and has started the season with JYP U20-team very well.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43533

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Another Finnish '11 Draft-prospect to watch this season is JyP goalie Samu Perhonen. Central scouting's director of European scouting Göran Stubb seems to be very high on this kid.

Born in march -93, he has good size (6'03) and has started the season with JYP U20-team very well.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43533
It's good to see Perhonen (great name for a butterfly goalie :nod:) doing so well after the difficult season he had last year. The kid definately has potential; great size, awareness and quickness.

It'll be interesting to see which goalies will be chosen to U18 National team for the upcoming 4 nations tournament next month. Ullberg's status as a number one goaltender might be in danger by the good start that Perhonen and Edelmann have had.

Name|DOB|H.|lbs.|L/R|Team|GPI|GAA|Pct
Mikael Edelmann|01-JUN-93|6'0|154|L|Tappara Jr.A|5|1.79|0.939|
Samu Perhonen|07-MAR-93|6'3|161|L|JYP Jr.A|6|2.86|0.911|
Richard Ullberg|16-JUL-93|6'3|176|L|HIFK Jr.A|2|3.53|0.857|

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
It'll be interesting to see which goalies will be chosen to U18 National team for the upcoming 4 nations tournament next month. Ullberg's status as a number one goaltender might be in danger by the good start that Perhonen and Edelmann have had.

Name|DOB|H.|lbs.|L/R|Team|GPI|GAA|Pct
Mikael Edelmann|01-JUN-93|6'0|154|L|Tappara Jr.A|5|1.79|0.939|
Samu Perhonen|07-MAR-93|6'3|161|L|JYP Jr.A|6|2.86|0.911|
Richard Ullberg|16-JUL-93|6'3|176|L|HIFK Jr.A|2|3.53|0.857|

As a Jokerit fan I'm rooting for Kaskisuo, even though it's quite clear he won't make it... :D

Armia looked great again today!

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Joel will have a bright future. He has a great size and compared to for example Jesse Joensuu better overall skill set. It has been a positive surprise that he has claimed a spot in the league team roster at this young age.

It is good that Finland is back on the track on producing bigger players. We had a period when people thought that Saku Koivu is the prototype of future hockey player and teams started to favor stamina over size/strength. Jesper Kokkonen is another name to keep in mind.

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
It is good that Finland is back on the track on producing bigger players. We had a period when people thought that Saku Koivu is the prototype of future hockey player and teams started to favor stamina over size/strength. Jesper Kokkonen is another name to keep in mind.

I know that Kokkonen is big and he was MVP of the Pohjola camp but he's not that promising anymore. He has played only 5 game in A-juniors and got one goal. Also 4 game in U18 tournament in finnish jersey and 0 points.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
I love this! Not long ago we were desperate because Finland wasn't producing any good youngsters and now all of a sudden we have bunch of kids doing great in men's games; Armia, Granlund, Pulkkinen, Rajala, Rask, Vatanen... but wait! Is that a good thing? Or does it just mean that SM-liiga sucks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad