Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
The problem with Armia is still his consistency. He scores 2+1 today and then doesn't do anything in two weeks. I really hope he'd improve that as the season goes along.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
The problem with Armia is still his consistency. He scores 2+1 today and then doesn't do anything in two weeks. I really hope he'd improve that as the season goes along.

This post is from the future.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Can you get me next week's lotto numbers while you're gazing into that crystal ball?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I don't get all the hate on urho's post.
Yeah, it's a bit of broken English so it comes across weird, but the point is still the same: Armia's history says he is consistently inconsistent and he hasn't done much to prove otherwise.
For me, it's the biggest determining factor when looking at his future potential.
If he doesn't start putting it together consistently, he'll just be a project that never fully progressed.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't get all the hate on urho's post.
Yeah, it's a bit of broken English so it comes across weird, but the point is still the same: Armia's history says he is consistently inconsistent and he hasn't done much to prove otherwise.
For me, it's the biggest determining factor when looking at his future potential.
If he doesn't start putting it together consistently, he'll just be a project that never fully progressed.

Armia's certainly off to a much better start this year than last. Already a step in the direction of proving he can put it together for a full season. IMO, there hasn't been nearly enough hockey yet this season to say he's been inconsistent like in years past. I mean, the kid's 2nd on his team in goals (4th in the league, I think) and T-2nd on his team for points. He's hardly off to a slow start.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I mean, the kid's 2nd on his team in goals (4th in the league, I think) and T-2nd on his team for points. He's hardly off to a slow start.

He's scored 6 of his 8 points in 2 games (8gp). I know my English isn't fluent but my argument is still valid. I watched him in the first game of the season and he was absolutely brilliant, making fools out of his opponents. Five days later he showed nothing to write home about. His good games are so far from his worse performances that you wouldn't even think it's the same player.

He's still young, tho, and lots of snipers seem to be inconsistent. I just hope it's not his attitude what causes this because that's hard to fix.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I haven't watched him as much as others, but you can tell he's the type of player that shows up in flashes. He'll be invisible all game, even to the point of looking lethargic, then boom, he'll make a brilliant play that nobody else could make. It's a frustrating game to watch because you know the ability to dominate for stretches is in there somewhere, but how do you pull it out? I think Armia will benefit immensely in Buffalo from a high energy guy like Girgensons down the road.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I haven't watched him as much as others, but you can tell he's the type of player that shows up in flashes. He'll be invisible all game, even to the point of looking lethargic, then boom, he'll make a brilliant play that nobody else could make. It's a frustrating game to watch because you know the ability to dominate for stretches is in there somewhere, but how do you pull it out? I think Armia will benefit immensely in Buffalo from a high energy guy like Girgensons down the road.

Giirgensons-Grigorenko-Armia definitely looked like a potential top line in development camp, and it definitely fits Ruff's new fondness for grit/energy guy-playmaker-shooter lines.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He's scored 6 of his 8 points in 2 games (8gp). I know my English isn't fluent but my argument is still valid. I watched him in the first game of the season and he was absolutely brilliant, making fools out of his opponents. Five days later he showed nothing to write home about. His good games are so far from his worse performances that you wouldn't even think it's the same player.

He's still young, tho, and lots of snipers seem to be inconsistent. I just hope it's not his attitude what causes this because that's hard to fix.

I don't think it's an attitude problem. He can be a little lazy but he does take hockey like prof. athlete should, from what I've seen and heard. He can and will improve, he's still young. He's a shy kid, so kind of hard to tell.

But I d do think your criticism is valid.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I don't think it's an attitude problem. He can be a little lazy but he does take hockey like prof. athlete should, from what I've seen and heard. He can and will improve, he's still young. He's a shy kid, so kind of hard to tell.

But I d do think your criticism is valid.

Sure is. The same criticism for grigs is valid. They're young players, though. It's not uncommon to see them lose focus. That's why it's so important for teams to develop players correctly.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

He's 19 years old, are people really expecting him to dominate every single night playing in a mens league??

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Armia's certainly off to a much better start this year than last. Already a step in the direction of proving he can put it together for a full season. IMO, there hasn't been nearly enough hockey yet this season to say he's been inconsistent like in years past. I mean, the kid's 2nd on his team in goals (4th in the league, I think) and T-2nd on his team for points. He's hardly off to a slow start.
Sure it it's a small sample size, but he's still wildly inconsistent from game to game.
The gap between peaks and valleys with him has to start closing at some point.
His peak has gotten better since he was drafted, but he still has that low valley where he's completely terrible and it looks like he's not even trying.

He's 19 years old, are people really expecting him to dominate every single night playing in a mens league??
Well, this is now his third season as a regular.
He has to start differentiating himself somehow soon.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Joel Armia downside -> Niklas Hagman

Joel Armia topside -> Ilja Kovalchuck or better

Damn this kid has been good. The media here would be raving about him if it weren't for Barkov and the lockoutees.

Nov 25, 2011
Edmonton

Damn this kid has been good. The media here would be raving about him if it weren't for Barkov and the lockoutees.

Woah, Armia does not have that kind of upside, he's a really good prospect, but just no.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009

This has been the problem with the whole team. The first two games they looked solid and Armia was a big part of that. After that the team thought it was going to be easy and every player lacked pretty much everything (the game that you are talking about). Last week Armia played well just like to whole team, but just like the rest of the gang he couldn't make it count on the scoreboard. He sometimes tries to do too much by himself and it doesn't work, but that's just him as a player.

I know that there are still other flaws in his game, but I don't think there are any major attitude problems to be worried about.

Sure it it's a small sample size, but he's still wildly inconsistent from game to game.
The gap between peaks and valleys with him has to start closing at some point.
His peak has gotten better since he was drafted, but he still has that low valley where he's completely terrible and it looks like he's not even trying.

Well, this is now his third season as a regular.
He has to start differentiating himself somehow soon.
So far this season he has not been terrible other than in their third game about which I talked about already. To be honest he hasn't had a whole lot of terrible games in 2012.

Would a bigger Semin be an apt comparison? Deft puckhandler with an elite shot, but so far, not entirely consistent.
Would say that a slightly more physical Semin is pretty darn accurate. Both own a great shot, soft hands in general and are dangerous in 1on1-situations. On the other hand both have a weak defencive game and are inconsistent.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Woah, Armia does not have that kind of upside, he's a really good prospect, but just no.

He does have the tools to be a Kovalchuck-lite, however unlikely that outcome may be. I think whoever said Semin is probably closer with their comparison though. Wicked shot, very deadly one-on-one, pretty uh underwhelming from center ice to his own net. I think Armia differs from him a bit though, IMO, in how he uses his size -- Armia, from what I've seen, has good to great puck protection skills because of how he angles his body and uses his reach. I've also seen him take advantage of smaller d-men by just going through them.

Kershaw

LOL!

Talk about being overrated!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad