Post-Game Talk: Jets win in OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Not a good game... Helle did well to secure the 2 points here.

The Jets D were pretty bad in transition. Ottawa was sitting back in the neutral zone on Jets breakouts even down a goal in the 3rd but the Jets D kept trying to force passes through the Sens neutral zone scheme. Hard to say whether it was the forwards not giving them options but the puck repeatedly kept getting turned over in the neutral zone. I am ready for us to get someone to push Pionk down the lineup... the puck was getting turned over so much when he was trying to retrieve and break it out.

Pretty disappointed in the 4th line to be honest. This is the type of game where you could have used a bit of spark from that type of a line which they were getting when Barron-Toni-AJF was the 4th line but didn't get much from them today. Kupari looks so good skating out there but nothing seems to happen... hopefully he can put it together and atleast generate some chances even if they are not goals.

That 3rd line doesn't look too effective without Lowry. Move Nino on the top line and run a throwback to 2022-2023 3rd line of Barron-Lowry-Appleton. Tough 3 games coming up... this is not gonna fly against those upcoming teams. Bruins and Leafs are gonna put the Jets in another galaxy if they come out like this against them... Scheifele or not.
Let’s give Ottawa some credit it was one of their better games and they still lost.
Jets needed more traffic in front of the net and how many times was there a loose puck around the Sens net and the Jets could not get their sticks on it.
Jets may lose the next 3 games but they won’t be outplayed in all 3 games.
Maybe in the ST department :D:help: but 5v5 no way.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If they come out like this against the Bruins or the Leafs they are gonna get blown the f*** out of the building.
Totally agree with this, and I thought the same thing. We were really lucky to win that game, and the Sens hit 2 posts as well. There is a big hole at 1st line center with Scheifele out, and I hope he's back in the lineup vs Boston and Toronto, or we'll likely get blown out, if we play like we did today. Jets have to work on consistency, and bring out their best effort every game, and there was little effort today.

Like everybody else, it's nice that the Jets got the 2 points, but they really need to get their act together for these good teams. Hope Scheifele is back soon -- we need him badly.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers is HIM

Also
squirtle-sax.gif

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Totally agree with this, and I thought the same thing. We were really lucky to win that game, and the Sens hit 2 posts as well. There is a big hole at 1st line center with Scheifele out, and I hope he's back in the lineup vs Boston and Toronto, or we'll likely get blown out, if we play like we did today. Jets have to work on consistency, and bring out their best effort every game, and there was little effort today.

Like everybody else, it's nice that the Jets got the 2 points, but they really need to get their act together for these good teams. Hope Scheifele is back soon -- we need him badly.
Chevy has to be watching this and thinking he needs a 2C before the deadline. I hope they get someone ASAP so they can integrate faster with so much left on the schedule.

When the Jets lost 55 in the playoffs they looked lost and right now they're looking mediocre.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Over large sample sizes how a team plays the game matters IMO. Over a one game sample sized WGAF it really doesn’t matter. Today our best player won us a game when the skaters had an off day. We have been phenomenal at evens this season so embrace the outlier.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Over large sample sizes how a team plays the game matters IMO. Over a one game sample sized WGAF it really doesn’t matter. Today our best player won us a game when the skaters had an off day. We have been phenomenal at evens this season so embrace the outlier.

We are good enough that even an off game on the road is still within the realm of victory with only a moderate amount of luck. If you buy the MoneyPuck win percentage, we played like a +150 dog, and those win all the damn time.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Sens' game plan seemed to be: dump pucks deep and forecheck and try to force turnovers. They clogged up the neutral zone pretty good. The Jets didn't seem to have many answers for that. I think they were frustrated and worn down a bit. Also the ice along the boards seemed particularly bad. Lots of pucks fumbled there. Seems like the lines Bones is throwing out there are a bit of an unforced error...but tough night for everyone.

Anyway, the Jets better wake up for Boston and Toronto...

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Wonder why no Vilardi or Perfetti in OT ?
If I were to guess, it would be lack of speed and / or strength in possession - but that doesn't mean I agree with this reason.
Iafalo was out there so it kind of flattens my theory - but I don't know what else it could be.

There's a lot of space out there so if you can beat your coverage with speed or strength, you'll probably make good use of all that ice.
With Vilardi, it's likely a lack of speed - Perfetti likely a bit of both.

When you look at their strengths, they might not be well suited to OT - Vilardi is good around the net and a good stick for deflections and such.
Perfetti is a playmaker and really good at finding guys in the open. But when you look at OT, do you need a lot of net front, deflection, or playmakers when the game is usually just two groups exchanging chances off the rush or cycling for possession while they wait for a breakdown? Guys that will likely do well are good at protecting the puck, have a speedy transition game, or can do it on their own.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with the decision - just trying to answer the question on what I think Bones might be thinking.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Kupari probably shouldn't be out there in OT... he is a 4th liner on the team much better options ahead him. My guess is that he doesn't put Pefetti/Vilardi out in OT due to their lack of speed. I'd definitely put out Perfetti though with someone like Ehlers or Connor to compensate for a lack of speed... he has good vision.
This is a good post, as it seems Bones deciding factor in OT on who he plays is how fast they can skate, with the notable exception being Lowry who can be very dominant in controlling possession.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This is a good post, as it seems Bones deciding factor in OT on who he plays is how fast they can skate, with the notable exception being Lowry who can be very dominant in controlling possession.
I'm just now catching your response to the other poster - and already posted something similar before reading this.
I agree - looks like bones wants speed and probably guys that can protect the puck - some might say OT is all about possession and speed

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Jets played like poop. Hellebuyck is god. Ehlers is good. Bones needs to figure out his lines. I miss Fefe.

Ok. That's good. Points are good, but I care about the process. They need to be better. They must be better.
One year ago today we were one point behind division lead, then the decline happened. If jets keep playing like this we might see it again.

We played some crappy teams recently Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose, and barely squeaked by them.

Hopefully they wake up and back on track

Reactions: Nedarb

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm just now catching your response to the other poster - and already posted something similar before reading this.
I agree - looks like bones wants speed and probably guys that can protect the puck - some might say OT is all about possession and speed
Agreed. Bones seems to have his OT strategy based on speed and puck possession. I went to watching NFL playoffs after the game, so I don't know if Bones commented on player selection in OT in his post game interview.

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Watched the game with my mother. She was bored and fell asleep (and you guys wonder where I get that from). She woke up in the third period and really enjoyed the overtime. Both her and I cheered like crazy when Ehlers scored, causing one of the nurses to pop her head in and say, "I take it the Jets won." The Jets did not deserve to win this one, but in the past, there were lots of games that they deserved to win and didn't, so this was kind of a "make-up game". My Mom gives this game only two thefts out of five...

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Boston Bruins has been posted for your guesses. Don't forget to sign up to create a GDT, the one on Wednesday is still available, waiting for someone to mock the Maple Laffs. Maybe that someone is you...

See you guys on Monday! Good night all...

AsleepWatchingSportsnet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad