Post-Game Talk: Jets win 4 - 3

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I don't like it,
I can't defend Laine anymore with all this goals :)

Kidding

Go for 40!!!

Go JETS GO

Most team without their 2 of their better "defense"men will suffer.
Try removing 2 of Trouba and Enstrom comparable from Tampa and Nashville and insert their 7th and 8th guy in their DCHART.

Little line is not producing.
I wish Maurice try Little and Wheeler together, for a few games or shift. See how it will go.

Schiefele in 1 line
Wheeler in another line
Laine in another line

is match up problem with other teams.
Not that JETS line up now is not a match up problem.

Funny how every line with Little stops producing. He was given far too much money and term, we could have had Stastny with that money. I’m very worried he will regress fast and hard, leaving us with a horrible contract.

First line was also bad tonight, they need to up their defensive game. Never really realized what a turnover machine Wheeler is.

We still won against a desperate team, so that’s great! Imagine how dominant we’ll be when Trouba and Lowry are back.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
There was one play where Larkin was trying to blow past him and create an odd man rush and Buff just leaned on him until he was pushed against the boards. Larkin was pissed but there was nothing he could do about it other that skate back to the bench and go for a line change LOL

I think it was the same play -- after Buff turned him into a crumbled ruin, he played the puck while standing over him and helped the Jets get out of the zone. I LOLed.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
A few thoughts about tonight’s game:
• Laine and ehlers seemed to have a good chemistry going and stasney is making plays to these two players so they can work their magic. It’s nice to see a center who understands how these players think and move on the ice.
• Morrisey is quietly showing the league that he is becoming one of the best young defenders in the league. It would be hard to imagine what this team would be like without him.
• Wheeler and matty p need to simplify their game a bit. They are just using to much effort on plays that is not needed. They need to pick and choose when a play needs full effort, therefore so that they aren’t gassed halfway through their shift. Many times matty forchecks when it isn’t needed and becomes the last backchecker. Quite frustrating when he forechecks and blows a tire and does a full spinorama on the ice way after the play has left. As for wheeler in the defensive zone he tries to help someone else in their matchup and leaves his defender open. They are the types of players who want to give everything every shift but need to understand that they can’t do everything.
• Also it’s nice to see chariot with some confidence in his game. He seemed to make some strong plays and played a solid game.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Best game in a long time for the 4th line, Copp led that line tonight, really engaged with some big hits, worked hard, Armia was noticeable tonight for the first time in a long time, Hendricks made it down the ice and back a few shifts without heading to the bench.
Not true and not true. [mod]

Never go full Maurice.

Maybe Scheifele and Wheeler are doing half-assed job on d-zone, because they're simply playing too much and allowed to have these ridiculous "back and forth - back and forth - back and forth" shifts ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
1st line not good , 2nd line not a whole lot better , 3rd line , awesome , 4th line very good , 1st D pair , awesome , 2nd D pair horrible , 3rd D pair , not very good and we still win the game . :vhappy: That is how good the depth of this team is , Go Jets Go !!!

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Great to get the 2 points
Start sheltering our 1st line in the d zone
3rd line awesome...Stats a nice fit.
TOI times reflected Armias better play and 4th line pressure, good eye PMo.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine += Ehlers is a deadly combo .

Just let them keep gaining confidence playing together.

Man Jets have so much line combo options.
Maurice must be drooling with that top 9.

When Lowry gets back. I hope soon.

The 4th line

Copp Lowry Tanev/Armia
Will be a great 4th line.

They can even go

Laine Schiefele Ehlers ;)
Connor Little Wheeler
Perrault Stastny Roslovic/Armia

GO Jets Go!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
laine will likely finish this season with over 40 goals.
all of this has been done without a hat trick.
all of this has been done with what many posters, including me, said to be a regression in his play.
last night, he looked a lot better.
Trying to imagine this team with Laine playing one level higher and that's a scary, scary thing.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Detroit was out-goalied and it is too bad that Armia needs Tanev knocking at the door to have another good game.
Keep the Stastny line as is but change the other ones to...
MP Scheif Roslo
Connor Little Wheeler
Separating Wheeler and Scheif is about as likely as taking Hendricks out of the lineup when Lowry returns! File under: Mo.

But hey... his team is winning!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
laine will likely finish this season with over 40 goals.
all of this has been done without a hat trick.
all of this has been done with what many posters, including me, said to be a regression in his play.
last night, he looked a lot better.
Trying to imagine this team with Laine playing one level higher and that's a scary, scary thing.

Laine is suffering through one of the best sophomore jinx seasons ever! Lol...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Not the greatest game, but you can tell we're starting to miss Lowry and Trouba (and Enstrom). Our defensive line-up is what concerns me the most, but when those two players return that'll resolve itself.

E-St-L is looking very good - I love the Stastny pickup. IMO: I think you have to find a way to keep him - having Scheifele, Stastny, Little and Lowry as your depth down the center would be an incredible luxury.

Laine's board play is what's impressing me most the last 5 games or so. He's figuring things out, protecting the puck better, and making decisions more quickly. Good stuff.

Laine's shot? Well: that's never in question. :D

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
BUFF he is incredible this year! You dont notice him that Much but he is just a ROCK!! This year it feels Safe with him Out there.. You can just See how Much Buff wants to win :) !!!! Maurice dont Play Scheif and Wheels too much.. We Need them fresh in playoff!
Plenty of guys sucked last night.,... But I recall numerous moments where Buff was beyond impressive. When he is "on" nobody can do what he does. This coming from one of the Buff haters. The man is simply a phenom

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Laine += Ehlers is a deadly combo .

Just let them keep gaining confidence playing together.

Man Jets have so much line combo options.
Maurice must be drooling with that top 9.

When Lowry gets back. I hope soon.

The 4th line

Copp Lowry Tanev/Armia
Will be a great 4th line.

They can even go

Laine Schiefele Ehlers ;)
Connor Little Wheeler
Perrault Stastny Roslovic/Armia

GO Jets Go!
Actually, I think the Jets might need to consider shuffling the lines around a bit to get better defensive balance. Scheifele and Wheeler aren't great defensively this season, and it isn't Connor's strong suit. Now that they have Stastny for Ehlers / Laine, they don't need to shelter them much.

A couple of options that I think we might see...

Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler (Perreault provides the additional defensive presence to drive possession forward).
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine (can't break this line up at this point).
Connor-Little-Armia (Armia gives defensive prowess, and Connor a bit of offensive snort).
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic (A shutdown line that will sting opponents with some offense at times).

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Not that Stastny hasn’t complimented Ehlers and Laine quite well, but both, particularly Laine, were playing much better over the past few games, prior to Stastny joining us.

I don’t like the narrative that the center position was holding them back, when Laine wasn’t skating well, and Ehlers was holding and forcing the play to much.

They are both playing a faster more efficient game, that has improved their play, and Stastny has complimented that quite well.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think it was tough emotionally on the team after the huge emotional game rpthey just played. They managed to get ramped up for the 2nd period but couldn't sustain it.

Myers is back to making me cringe every time he comes over the boards

He has been unbelievably bad the last two games, just a train wreck in his own end.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jets play poorly defensively - blame 3 defensemen.

Defense is a team sport. What the forwards do has huge impact on how the D plays.

Chia, Morrow, Kuli and Myers all had their warts this game for sure but the forwards sure as hell didn't do them any favors. I love it when your forwards sit back and let the other team attack and back you into your goal and then when they score they look at you like you did something. Or when the opposition has the puck, you are tracking and marking them and the forward keeps putting back pressure on them instead of looking for the wide open player in the slot. That's your fault somehow too :). I'm not saying those things specifically were happening, it's just an example of how what the forwards are doing on the ice has huge impact on the defense. The Jets have been miles better at this this year, which has made the D better and by extension has helped the goaltending. We've been godawful as a TEAM the past few days.

Man, if Chiarot managed to find a way to get that shot off more often, and more often accurately, he could score some goals. What a cannon.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Laine is the once again the Laine of last year. Every time he touches the puck you think he's going to score, and often he does.

The terrifying thing (for other teams) is I really think we are just scratching the surface of what this kid is going to do. He is starting to use his size more, but we aren't really seeing his skill game much. By that I mean maneuvering in traffic, controlling the puck more, etc.

Right now he is just making good on his chances with the puck in high scoring areas (and some medium and low ones too :) ). His shooting percentage is disgusting, but seemingly sustainable. Once he starts controlling the puck more and using his skill he could end up being the best player in the NHL. I know that's bold but I believe it.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I believe posters are letting some of the past numbers and prejudices cloud their judgement on Cheerios and Morrow.

Don't get me wrong the eye test does indicate they have some serious deficiencies but they weren't bad last night.

They might have ridden Stastny to some of those but they seemed semi competent most of the night.

Myers on the other hand in the 3 hole is not good and it's showing on a nightly basis.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Good game. Opposing goalies must be wary now of his 100mph wrist shot to the upper left corner without looking.

Crazy thing is he can put that shot in the upper right corner or right above the pad below the glove/blocker post and in too.

Goalies can't cheat him.

Laine has been beasting lately. Simply beasting. The puck looks like it's sticking to him as well which wasn't happening earlier....

Last edited:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Crazy thing is he can put that shot in the right upper left corner or right above the pad below the glove/blocker post and in too.

Goalies can't cheat him.

Laine has been beasting lately. Simply beasting. The puck looks like it's sticking to him as well which wasn't happening earlier....
Yes his accuracy is crazy. You literally couldn't throw the puck in the net better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad