Post-Game Talk: Jets win 4 - 3

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You maybe right on your main point. But I really don't believe Wheeler was trying to score. The guarantee win was anything but a block and that is what he made sure didn't happen.
Maybe, but he also had plenty of room to skate it deeper into the Red Wings' zone and kill time.

My main point was that I didn't want him or Scheifele taking anything positive out of that game other than a team win.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Games I would sit Helle...
Rags or Devils
Preds
Ducks
Hawks
Habs

I can agree with that, but I think if he is chasing 40 wins and very close. He will play some of those games, if not all.

If Mason is back soon, I also think POMO will give him enough start down the stretch. So we don't know for sure.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Would be curious how Wheeler and Little could work together. One would hope that there is someone on this team who can waken Little from his flat and extremely unimpressive play this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe, but he also had plenty of room to skate it deeper into the Red Wings' zone and kill time.

My main point was that I didn't want him or Scheifele taking anything positive out of that game other than a team win.
I just don't believe they think that way. They will analyze there game for what it was. Neither are so immature in their games to believe an empty net goal would make up for any short comings. I just believe that sells 2 top NHLers short on what they are as hockey players.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'll take the 2 points but I hated how they played defensively, did not look like a contender tonight. Myers has to be one of the softest men for his size in his own zone. Really need Trouba back soon.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I can agree with that, but I think if he is chasing 40 wins and very close. He will play some of those games, if not all.

If Mason is back soon, I also think POMO will give him enough start down the stretch. So we don't know for sure.
I don't think 40 means anything to anyone.

Reactions: Jets2point0

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'll take the 2 points but I hated how they played defensively, did not look like a contender tonight. Myers has to be one of the softest men for his size in his own zone. Really need Trouba back soon.
Myers has always been soft. If he was as ornery as Buff or Trouba, he would be mentioned in Norris conversations. At 5.5m caphit, buh-bye this summer. Chevy should be able to fleece someone for Myers. I bet he brings back more than Kaner did...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just don't believe they think that way. They will analyze there game for what it was. Neither are so immature in their games to believe an empty net goal would make up for any short comings. I just believe that sells 2 top NHLers short on what they are as hockey players.
You're probably right - it's probably more about how I feel as a fan about their play.

Reactions: Evil Little

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Wow, it appears any game that isn't a 10-0 win is nit picked into the ground. This was nearly a 60-40 possession game for the jets!!

Since Minnesota got blown out by Colorado, Nashville is losing to the Canucks right now, and Vegas is down to Ottawa, they must all suck too....

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
It means nothing to a vet like Wheeler. He is actually one of the few players who wouldn't have scored in that situation putting it out further wide than he needed to to avoid the only chance of losing, a block and a quick up ice pass by the Wings. The little things that no one ever notices.

So you actually think he intentionally tried not to score an empty netter and put the shot two feet wide instead? Hoo boy. I've heard it all now.

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Wow, it appears any game that isn't a 10-0 win is nit picked into the ground. This was nearly a 60-40 possession game for the jets!!

Since Minnesota got blown out by Colorado, Nashville is losing to the Canucks right now, and Vegas is down to Ottawa, they must all suck too....

Shot attempts are deceiving. Many of them were Ehlers dumping the puck in for an o-zone faceoff. xGoals pretty much a tie.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Anytime the Jets win I'm happy, did they play a perfect game tonight, not even close but it 2pts. closer to the playoffs and we beat a team we are supposed to beat, were the coaches happy well no handshakes at the end of the games tell all I need to know and the players will probably hear about it all the way to Raleigh. Big road trip coming up

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You're probably right - it's probably more about how I feel as a fan about their play.
I just try to avoid the wild swings up and down. I have no doubts Scheifele and Wheeler will be there front and centre in the playoffs. An off game here or there happens. The last 2 guys I worry about come playoff time is Scheifele and Wheeler.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets need Toby back in a big way for this trip as we will have a hard time sheltering the Chariot/Morrow pairing on the road. Myers/Kulikov have also been a mess the last few. I hate to do it but we may need to put Morrissey back with Myers to stabilize him until Trouba gets back.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
So you actually think he intentionally tried not to score an empty netter and put the shot two feet wide instead? Hoo boy. I've heard it all now.
I think what he means is, he is trying to aim at the net but his priority was to make sure he didn't just shoot it right into defenders shin-pads and have it go back the other way with 10 seconds left in the game. He basically just skated out wide a bit to change the angle.

Not sure why we are even nitpicking this play. All started from someone saying they were glad Wheeler didn't score on the empty net, which is pretty petty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Robinson2187

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
b1e5b6c94adca68130485ddbcfd9e401--talladega-nights-quotes-nascar-quotes.jpg

Or, as Ricky's dad said "You can be second."

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Helle with a few game saving stops in the third. We should have had a fifth or sixth goal to create a bigger buffer. Still too many odd man rushes and guys open in the slot when we are trying to protect a lead. But we closed out the game. Good win. Good practice for the playoffs

The Wings speed lines gave us a lot of trouble. Could be a playoff weakness for the Jets. But hard to tell because the Chairot/morrow pairing doesn't belong in the NHL. Trouba and Toby will make a big difference I hope. Will help reduce 57 ice time as well. I don't know if it is conditioning or what, but he can't handle the ice time he is getting now.

A lot of good Buf lately. Like really good Buf. Morrissey is steady good.

Laine / Ehlers are better with Stastny.

Still can't wait for Lowry to get back. Really tired of Hendricks to be honest. He plays with heart, but he doesnt belong on the ice on a playoff bound team. Todays game is too fast for him.

Great win. Go Jets Go.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Laine was beasting tonight, him and Ehlers connected well, and Stastny, while quiet, was good. Dominated their match up yet again.

CSW are so off and on, and tonight was an off game. PLR were good, much better than last game for sure. 4th line was good, Armia played really well.

Can't wait for Trouba and Enstrom to come back because the defense is bad in the defensive zone without one of Buff or Morrissey on the ice.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Is it just me or was the gap control by Morrow and Chipet off all game? Anyone know why they're playing bad gaps while JoMo/Kuli/Buff/Myers were playing better defensive gaps? Was it just the speed of the wings that the 3rd pair was scared of?
The gap control is always off by Chiarot. Morrow hasn't looked capable of much better.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad