Post-Game Talk: Jets win 4 - 3

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
When Lowry comes back and we again have a solid checking line, do they become the third line to play against the other teams best?
If so, doesn’t the Little line become our new fourth line?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Shot attempts are deceiving. Many of them were Ehlers dumping the puck in for an o-zone faceoff. xGoals pretty much a tie.

My man. Is it safe to assume when you say xgoals were pretty much tied that means the Jets did in fact win in this department?

I understand and appreciate your analysis but do you ever feel like you go reaching into the bag pretty deep to come up with reasons to be fearful?

You used Corsi in single or small samples to demonstrate your concern for how the Jets were playing at the start of the year despite a few of us saying that it wasn't a good indicator at the time considering some of the other stuff going on (like the Jets having a ridiculous time spent in the lead)....

Now your going going to discount the same numbers you were using at the start of the season because you don't like them for this game and using Xgoals which we still won.... You seem to purposely only use the stats that support your arguments and kinda toss other ones you weren't happy using at the start of the year when they made us look better than Corsi.

Reactions: Calendal and Jimby

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
I believe posters are letting some of the past numbers and prejudices cloud their judgement on Cheerios and Morrow.

Don't get me wrong the eye test does indicate they have some serious deficiencies but they weren't bad last night.

They might have ridden Stastny to some of those but they seemed semi competent most of the night.

Myers on the other hand in the 3 hole is not good and it's showing on a nightly basis.

Myers has been good all year what team do you watch

Reactions: Ippenator

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
When Lowry comes back and we again have a solid checking line, do they become the third line to play against the other teams best?
If so, doesn’t the Little line become our new fourth line?
Nope the Stastny line become Our New 4. Line ;) Best 4 line in the league! This roster is insane.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I LOVE Myers, but even I have to question this statement.

I fully understand why people dislike the Condor. I also understand his play fluctuation because I feel like it happens to me a lot as a player too. I think every player's game is impacted by confidence, but some are simply more unwaveringly confident, and some minimize that impact that confidence has.

I feel like Myers struggles with confidence. He very obviously has some great talent and ability, but his limitations are between his ears. I found as I got older, that part of my game improved vastly, and though I am not nearly as quick or agile as I was when I was younger I am a much better player overall.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Is this a joke?

Myers has been good offensively all year but he is an absolute train wreak in his own end and unless he has a strong D partner he is pretty much an anchor.

I like Myers in the 5/6 hole playing with another actual NHL Dman but don't kid yourself he is nowhere near a 1/2 caliber Dman and he is not great as a 3/4 either.....

His career numbers support this for the last 8 years.

Reactions: Jimby

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What ? Myers makes mental mistakes every game and it's showing up even more now because he isn't paired with our best defensemen Morrissey . We must be watching a different player . Or did you forget the :sarcasm: after ?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Also for the segment of the board lamenting Little being invisible and his new 5 mil contract I'd just like to point out that the shiney new toy everyone loves (as do I) Paul Statsny has been putting up nearly similar point totals the last 4 years on a 7 million AAV contract.

Little actually comes out ahead in p/g.

Biases everywhere!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Plenty of guys sucked last night.,... But I recall numerous moments where Buff was beyond impressive. When he is "on" nobody can do what he does. This coming from one of the Buff haters. The man is simply a phenom
Buff is a enigma wrapped up in a riddle and he is all ours . :laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I believe posters are letting some of the past numbers and prejudices cloud their judgement on Cheerios and Morrow.

Don't get me wrong the eye test does indicate they have some serious deficiencies but they weren't bad last night.

They might have ridden Stastny to some of those but they seemed semi competent most of the night.

Myers on the other hand in the 3 hole is not good and it's showing on a nightly basis.
Cheerios was better than Myers last night but that's a low bar.

Things I saw Chiarot do poorly.

Typical deep gaps

Not move the puck quickly enough to open areas, slow reads.

Poor breakout passes and often moved away from supporting player.

Things I saw Chiarot do well

Maintain position on his check for the most part, he's good at separating guys from the puck and he's strong when not allowing a guy to get between him and the net.

Hold the offensive blueline, he's was good at pinching along the wall.

Shoot.

Having said all that, he's a 7th D, so expectations should be lower. With the more he plays it just limits what the Jets are able to do, that's his downside.

More is expected of Myers and the Jets are relying on it, with that his poor play is costing the Jets much more.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Jets play poorly defensively - blame 3 defensemen.

Defense is a team sport. What the forwards do has huge impact on how the D plays.

Chia, Morrow, Kuli and Myers all had their warts this game for sure but the forwards sure as hell didn't do them any favors. I love it when your forwards sit back and let the other team attack and back you into your goal and then when they score they look at you like you did something. Or when the opposition has the puck, you are tracking and marking them and the forward keeps putting back pressure on them instead of looking for the wide open player in the slot. That's your fault somehow too :). I'm not saying those things specifically were happening, it's just an example of how what the forwards are doing on the ice has huge impact on the defense. The Jets have been miles better at this this year, which has made the D better and by extension has helped the goaltending. We've been godawful as a TEAM the past few days.

Man, if Chiarot managed to find a way to get that shot off more often, and more often accurately, he could score some goals. What a cannon.

Forwards sucked. It’s hard to tell how much they are affected by no Enstrom for breakouts but I don’t think this game can be sugar coated. The neutral zone was a disaster.

Reactions: Tommigun and Jet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Forwards sucked. It’s hard to tell how much they are affected by no Enstrom for breakouts but I don’t think this game can be sugar coated. The neutral zone was a disaster.
The D contributed to a lot of the neutral zone problems. There were too many ill-advised passes to covered forwards, or passes that were inaccurate and hard to pick up, or just dumb passes that were picked off. Myers was the worst culprit. Buff and Morrissey were the best.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The third goal involved 6 or 7 keystone cop errors. Bad passes, bad pass reception, fumbled pucks, failed clears and poor decisions.

Reactions: Ducky10 and Duke749

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Also for the segment of the board lamenting Little being invisible and his new 5 mil contract I'd just like to point out that the shiney new toy everyone loves (as do I) Paul Statsny has been putting up nearly similar point totals the last 4 years on a 7 million AAV contract.

Biases everywhere!

I haven't seen this much love for a new player acquisition since the Bombers signed Jim Zorn. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018

Biases everywhere!
You can’t just straight up compare two players based on point totals, expecially when they are centres. There is all more aspects to their games that need to be analyzed. Also there are many reasons as to why there point totals are they why they are. Such as the blues play a heavy defence shut down strategy where they don’t score a lot of goals a game.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The D contributed to a lot of the neutral zone problems. There were too many ill-advised passes to covered forwards, or passes that were inaccurate and hard to pick up, or just dumb passes that were picked off. Myers was the worst culprit. Buff and Morrissey were the best.
Myers is agonizingly slow to recognize and make a pass much of the time. It was painful last night.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The third goal involved 6 or 7 keystone cop errors. Bad passes, bad pass reception, fumbled pucks, failed clears and poor decisions.
Lol, look at this gong show in front of the net, wtf? In the end two Jets sprawled on the ice, puck in net, unsurprisingly. You're right though, a lot more led up to this point.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
You can’t just straight up compare two players based on point totals, expecially when they are centres. There is all more aspects to their games that need to be analyzed. Also there are many reasons as to why there point totals are they why they are. Such as the blues play a heavy defence shut down strategy where they don’t score a lot of goals a game.

He also played with one of the best shooters in the game in Tera.

Little's underlying numbers for the most part are pretty excellent as well.

Little and Statsny are 2 different players with different skill sets but a side by side comparison between these guys works out a nearly an identical impact in the long run.

Check the side by side table comparisons in the Statsny thread!!

Let's just be honest with ourselves....

If we had been paying Stastny 7 Million dollars for the last 4 years for the kind of production Stastny has had we would be shitting ourselves and on the GM Chevy for having this contract on our books.

We have gotten similar production from Little at a huge discount on his last contract and his new one is not a bad deal in any way even if he continues to produce at the same level he has this year.

If Little shits the bed and continues with a sharp decline in play it won't look great but it's nowhere near the albatross it's being made out to be.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Both this game and the game against the Preds were similar to my eye in that it really seemed like a massive number of the common random puck events ended up landing in our opponents favor. It was at times maddening to watch as pucks that bounced/deflected off several sticks and other assorted obstacles/body parts and flipped around seemed to so often land right on an opposing players stick creating a scoring chance. I've sort of come to recognize over the years of watching hockey that that's just something that happens - puck luck goes in your favor for a while, then it doesn't. Of course sometimes good or bad "luck" is a result of good or bad plays too..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad