Post-Game Talk: Jets win 4 - 3

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just try to avoid the wild swings up and down. I have no doubts Scheifele and Wheeler will be there front and centre in the playoffs. An off game here or there happens. The last 2 guys I worry about come playoff time is Scheifele and Wheeler.
My concern is that Scheifele and Wheeler have struggled in their own zone for much of the season. I thought they were a bit better lately, but tonight they looked like they did early in the season. It's not an accident that they are at the bottom among Jets' forwards in RelCF%. Part of that is line match-ups, but I have been expressing my concern about them since early in the season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think what he means is, he is trying to aim at the net but his priority was to make sure he didn't just shoot it right into defenders shin-pads and have it go back the other way with 10 seconds left in the game. He basically just skated out wide a bit to change the angle.

Not sure why we are even nitpicking this play. All started from someone saying they were glad Wheeler didn't score on the empty net, which is pretty petty.
This exactly. If you are able to catch the inside of the net great, but first and foremost you have to put it outside of any chance of the defenceman blocking it. The safest play is probably putting it too wide. Costs you a goal but guarantees the team a win. Not sure why people don't get team first plays? And this isn't at you Whileee :)

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
My concern is that Scheifele and Wheeler have struggled in their own zone for much of the season. I thought they were a bit better lately, but tonight they looked like they did early in the season. It's not an accident that they are at the bottom among Jets' forwards in RelCF%. Part of that is line match-ups, but I have been expressing my concern about them since early in the season.
So in other words a good coach should be able to this too and not have them on the ice late in the game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think you will see them adjust as necessary in the playoffs. That will be one of the interesting things to follow as we embark on a cup run.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I don't know anything about corsi but i'm guessing we rocked it from half-way in the first til the end of the second. Didn't care for the rest of our game. Bucky was solid but without Buff, Jomo, Ehlers and Patrik the Laine-Hearted; we get beat in that game.

Chiarot was really good too. Army with his nicest game in a while as well.

Why do pucks often bounce off our sticks when accepting passes in the neutral zone? Is it just me or does this happen a lot? Our precision in other areas can be deadly however.

That was a good win and I'm really looking forward to their performance on the trip.

Reactions: sipowicz

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
This exactly. If you are able to catch the inside of the net great, but first and foremost you have to put it outside of any chance of the defenceman blocking it. The safest play is probably putting it too wide. Costs you a goal but guarantees the team a win. Not sure why people don't get team first plays? And this isn't at you Whileee :)

Interviewer: "So tell me Blake, why did you shoot into the corner instead of at the empty net?"
Wheeler: "Well, as my old idol Al Iafrate used to say, ..."
*Wheeler clutches at side of neck, his eyes roll, and he collapses in a heap*
*Gary Bettman, blowgun still pressed to his lips, quietly fades back into the shadows*

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Big comeback game by Helle. Didn't let the Nashville game throw him off.
Buff has been playing like an all star for the past few weeks and Morrissey is not far behind. Thank goodness, because with Trouba and Enstrom out, the drop off is steep. Until they come back, Chiarot-Poolman please. Morrow is not NHL caliber.
Stastny, on the other hand, was an outstanding acquisition. I feel more confident with him out there defensively than any of our other Cs.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
zmxKbZ3.png

When your worst D-pairing is ~50% adjusted CF%, that's generally a good sign things went pretty well tonight.

That being said, Perreault-Little-Roslovic still looked off. Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler generated shots, but according to Corsica not a lot in terms of expected goals. Stastny just makes Ehlers and Laine so much better. (Morrow-Chiarot also rode that line for ~6ish of their 14 minutes which clearly shows.)

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Vancouver was no help to us tonight letting Nashville score a late 3rd period goal to tie the game to force OT and then of course the Predators had to win and stay 6 points up on the Jets. It seems like Nashville is unbeatable. Still upset we blew that game against them.

:jets

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Hendricks..........oh man, Lowry drink that protein juice and get back soon. Laine with a real center has been absolutely incredible. Helle showing us, that it was just a blip on the radar, we NEED trouba back cause man Chiraot is going to make me put my fist through a wall.

Still a win is a win and every 2 is super important right now.
The “real” Centre had zero to do with Laine’s goals.

Ehlers set one up, and Laine did the bulk of the work on the other. I am very happy with the Stastny pick up but he was mostly invisible tonight

Reactions: Georgetown Al

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
The “real” Centre had zero to do with Laine’s goals.

Ehlers set one up, and Laine did the bulk of the work on the other. I am very happy with the Stastny pick up but he was mostly invisible tonight

Statsny may very well be invisible due him taking the third man role and do the covering up. I would do that if I played with Laine and Ehlers, let them do the magic and you just support them

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Statsny looks invisible because he isn't a very fast skater...but he rarely makes mistakes. He'll send an aerial sauce pass 15 feet away from the target because he knows the target will make it there before the defender....noticed that a lot tonight. Instead of trying to force a perfect pass that gets picked off. He's a great center to play with two defensively suspect wingers. Really experienced.

In the past when Scheif and Wheeler were off the Jets had little chance of winning. Now the team is deep :)

btw the highlight of the game was Beyak awkwardly saying SCORES when the puck went over. Even the very best make mistakes. In this case the best of the best

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
A few thoughts:
GOOD ARMIA is back!
There’s something not quite right with Little. He’s certainly not making players around him better this year.
If Enstrom can’t go, we need to replace Morrow with Poolman. Poolman is far more steady back there.
Laine just wow. That shot!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jets hang on for the win as the Wings hung around all game, old Sip fell asleep immediately after this one!

Stastny line was solid, Ehlers with some nice skating and Laine with some nice goals!

Buff Morrissey solid, Buff engaged big time, Chariot okay

Good rebound game from Helly with a light workload.

Schief looked like pre-injury Schief of Dec. so really didn't do much, Wheeler looked like crap with more poor decisions, dude looks burnt out, Connor okay

Little line a bit better from last game debacle

Best game in a long time for the 4th line, Copp led that line tonight, really engaged with some big hits, worked hard, Armia was noticeable tonight for the first time in a long time, Hendricks made it down the ice and back a few shifts without heading to the bench. Tanev, Copp, Armia would be a much better pressure line, I give up on what Mo is thinking on Hendricks, kinda like Thorbs/Stuart nonsense!

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Detroit was out-goalied and it is too bad that Armia needs Tanev knocking at the door to have another good game.
Keep the Stastny line as is but change the other ones to...
MP Scheif Roslo
Connor Little Wheeler
I agree with this. Would be good to try these lines. The first two lines are not really looking too balanced. The 1st line has looked already long quite bad defensively, as Scheifele and Wheeler just simply don’t seem to be too good together defensively. And unfortunately any line that has Little as it’s center, just simply doesn’t seem to produce very efficiently, although they seem pretty solid defensively. I would just want to see better balance defensively and offensively for both of the Jets top lines, otherwise they will be pretty easy to match up by the top teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scheifelaine

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
BUFF he is incredible this year! You dont notice him that Much but he is just a ROCK!! This year it feels Safe with him Out there.. You can just See how Much Buff wants to win :) !!!! Maurice dont Play Scheif and Wheels too much.. We Need them fresh in playoff!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
These last 2 games have been a preview of what Jets D would be like next year if they don't re-sign Trouba and Enstrom.

I criticize Chiarot a lot but the goal he scored was one of the nicest goals I have ever seen from a dman.

I'll give Hendricks credit for being fully aware of what his limits are and trying to play within them so that when he has the puck in the neutral zone with any kind of pressure approaching him just dump the puck in and go for a line change or when he has the puck in the offensive zone just takes a shot on net even if from bad angle/position just to force an offensive zone faceoff and get a line change. That's fine by me.

BUFF he is incredible this year! You dont notice him that Much but he is just a ROCK!! This year it feels Safe with him Out there.. You can just See how Much Buff wants to win :) !!!! Maurice dont Play Scheif and Wheels too much.. We Need them fresh in playoff!

There was one play where Larkin was trying to blow past him and create an odd man rush and Buff just leaned on him until he was pushed against the boards. Larkin was pissed but there was nothing he could do about it other that skate back to the bench and go for a line change LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad