GDT: Jets @ Sens | Home (not so) Sweet Home? | Nov. 5th | 7:30PM | TSN5, RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Im a big fan of Byfuglien but I dont see the fit unless he can play LW and LD.

Also not sure I want him signed to a 7 year contract. He doesn't come off as a player that will be effective later into his 30's.

Why? He is a billion times better then Ceci. And having Ceci on the 3rd pairing would make us have an infinitely better defence. We would still figure out a way to give Ceci about 20 mins a game. It is our 6th D that would see his icetime dwindle to maybe 10 mins a game due to Buff and Karlsson eating so many minutes.

If we did get Buff. It is kinda silly to think of Ceci being ahead of him and changing Buff's position. It would be like getting Giroux and saying... Well Giroux is gonna have to switch positions because we have Zibby... Not realistic at all.

Buff would take minutes on the PP from the forward we are playing on the point on PPs. And from
Probably Boro, who would get way less ice time. Ceci would end up on the 2nd PP, playing 3rd pairing, getting chances in OT, the PK and also likely moved up to play with Buff some shifts. He would still get plenty of minutes.

Assuming Wiercioch is gone:

Methot 22 Karlsson 26
Cowen 20 Buff 24
Boro 10 Ceci 20

Is probably how it would end up. Which would be a zillion times better then out defence now.

I doubt we get Buff. But every trade thread I see discussing Buff to Ottawa says we don't need him because of Ceci, or Buff has to change sides because of Ceci. Newsflash... Buff is WAY better then Ceci. And will remain so for many years. Also pushing Ceci down the lineup makes us way better because your 5th D is a hugely important position. That logs 20 mins a game. Upgrading that with a quality player like Ceci over Boro on his offside or Gryba or Wideman... Is a massive upgrade. Just like upgrading from Ceci to Buff on the 2nd pairing is.

If we could get Buff. I would give up Wiercioch and a huge amount of futures. Don't really want to give up Chabot or any of our better forwards.

Prince, Wiercioch, 1st this year, 1st next year. If we can resign him.

I kinda doubt Winnipeg does it but who knows. I think they would want a true offensive top 6 forward. And giving them that just makes another hole we need to fill. But if they were willing to take futures like 2 firsts. I would do it. It would make us one of the better teams in the league with 1 trade.

WhiteLight*

Why? He is a billion times better then Ceci. And having Ceci on the 3rd pairing would make us have an infinitely better defence. We would still figure out a way to give Ceci about 20 mins a game. It is our 6th D that would see his icetime dwindle to maybe 10 mins a game due to Buff and Karlsson eating so many minutes.

If we did get Buff. It is kinda silly to think of Ceci being ahead of him and changing Buff's position. It would be like getting Giroux and saying... Well Giroux is gonna have to switch positions because we have Zibby... Not realistic at all.

Buff would take minutes on the PP from the forward we are playing on the point on PPs. And from
Probably Boro, who would get way less ice time. Ceci would end up on the 2nd PP, playing 3rd pairing, getting chances in OT, the PK and also likely moved up to play with Buff some shifts. He would still get plenty of minutes.

Methot 22 Karlsson 26
Cowen 20 Buff 24
Boro 10 Ceci 20

Is probably how it would end up. Which would be a zillion times better then out defence now.

I doubt we get Buff. But every trade thread I see discussing Buff to Ottawa says we don't need him because of Ceci, or Buff has to change sides because of Ceci. Newsflash... Buff is WAY better then Ceci. And will remain so for many years. Also pushing Ceci down the lineup makes us way better because your 5th D is a hugely important position. That logs 20 mins a game. Upgrading that with a quality player like Ceci over Boro on his offside or Gryba or Wideman... Is a massive upgrade. Just like upgrading from Ceci to Buff on the 2nd pairing is.

If we could get Buff. I would give up Wiercioch and a huge amount of futures. Don't really want to give up Chabot or any of our better forwards.

I kinda doubt Winnipeg does it but who knows. I think they would want a true offensive top 6 forward. And giving them that just makes another hole we need to fill. But if they were willing to take futures like 2 firsts. I would do it. It would make us one of the better teams in the league with 1 trade.

Pretty harsh on Ceci here. Ceci was arguably the Sens best D-man last game.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I thought after the first that the Jets were lucky to only be down 1-0. This game should have been about 4-0 Senators by the halfway point but Hutchinson kept them in it.

The Sens were awful after that, especially in the 3rd period.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Methot 22 Karlsson 26
Cowen 20 Buff 24
Boro 10 Ceci 20

I think Ceci can become just as good as Byfuglien within the next 3 years. So trading for Buf and then signing him to a 7year/7mil contract will block Ceci from getting mins in the future and takes away from the money we can use to re-sign Ceci.

Obviously Ceci on the 3rd pair this season and maybe even next season is perfect. After that Ceci is ****ed unless he or Buf can learn to play LD.

I guess we could always trade Ceci for an LD or forward. I also wouldn't complain if we got Buf.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Pretty harsh on Ceci here. Ceci was arguably the Sens best D-man last game.

What it is harsh to say Byfuglien is way better then him? That is just reality.

Ceci is a very good defenceman. I like him fine. He isn't in Byfuglien's class. Buff was also a game star, scored a goal, played 28 minutes, was the Jets best player, and sat Lazar on his butt like he was a little boy.

Buff was the best player in that game except for the bald guy who had a goalie mask on.

Ceci is a top 100 defenceman in the league. Buff is a top 20, top 15 defenceman in the league. Probably a top 10 when he is really on his game, like he was last night.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You like the fact he didn't give it to Hoffman who had time and space along the wing?

I was yelling "just hand it to Hoffman" as Hoffman curled around with speed.

Also I always get on karlsson for taking his sweet time instead of forcing the play up ice. Especially how he kills half the power play behind our net waiting for something he likes.

Wpg was funneling the play to that side of the ice. Had Cowen moved it to Hoffman (an easy pass, sure) it would have likely resulted in the jets squeezing the puck carrier out of time and space along the boards. Had he made that pass, it forces Hoffman to have to beat 1 or 2 Jets players one on one or make a forced pass. Probably no worse than what happened but by no means a great option.

He tried to play it safe and wait for a better option rather than do exactly what Wpg was trying to pressure him to do. Boro then went for the deflection zone entry for a dump and chase.

I don't see the problem with it, though it's hard to clearly see what the jets are doing down ice which is integral to his decision making.

WhiteLight*

What it is harsh to say Byfuglien is way better then him? That is just reality.

Ceci is a very good defenceman. I like him fine. He isn't in Byfuglien's class. Buff was also a game star, scored a goal, played 28 minutes, was the Jets best player, and sat Lazar on his butt like he was a little boy.

Buff was the best player in that game except for the bald guy who had a goalie mask on.

Ceci is a top 100 defenceman in the league. Buff is a top 20, top 15 defenceman in the league. Probably a top 10 when he is really on his game, like he was last night.

All right, well if Ceci is as good as you're saying, which I agree he is, then there's no point in committing long term to Buff. I don't know how Karlsson can get 26, Buf 24 and Ceci 20. Doesn't seem to add to me

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
If Buff was on this team, he'd spend his entire time between the penalty box and on suspension. He wouldn't get the same league leeway with us as he does with Canada's little darling team.

That's a fact Mac!

Gryba admitted that the suspensions and penalties he got for being a punishing hitter affected his game. For Byfuglien, Quintal looks for the slightest reasons to excuse him (he brushed the guys glove before pounding his head) while Gryba and Cowen were suspended for near every major hit that involved full body and some part of the head. Look what happened to Stone compared to the others who did the same or worse. Even when they are not dirty hits, look how often Byf gets away with interference on the wall long after the puck is gone while our D often don't even get 1 Mississippi. They laughed at the hit on Lazar last night but really it was very late after the puck was gone and involved use of the forearm too. Put Byf with the Sens and name him Methot and he gets called for interference!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If the Sens can find a way to get Buff I think they have to do it.

He immediately makes that defense a hell of a lot better. The team can afford to lose a mix of quality picks and prospects for him. Plus a roster player

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If the Sens can find a way to get Buff I think they have to do it.

He immediately makes that defense a hell of a lot better. The team can afford to lose a mix of quality picks and prospects for him. Plus a roster player
We need another offensive threat ,back there. This much we all know,it will open up EK more ,he is so keyed on it,s not funny

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Wideman

- The 2nd highest scoring d-man has 2 points. 2 points! There is absolutely nothing being generated from the back-end outside of Karlsson. Bring in Wideman.

Karlsson
- It is quite obvious that his strategy is to conserve energy. He doesn't commit fully to anything either way. He knows how many minutes he will have to play this season, and he wants to still have something in the tank for the playoffs. Can you blame him?

Anderson
- Those since 2012 stats that show him as a top 10 goalie are expected. Someone should add his playoff stats. This guy is so slept on, it's hilarious.

Prattalot

Jan 11, 2009
Winnipeg
As a Winnipeger I see a lot of Buff and he's an entertaining player to watch. Right now he's a force and he'd make any team he's on much better...but he's on the wrong side of 30 and about to sign a big money long term contract. Sure he's better than any D the Sens have other then Karlsson but I'd rather the Sens (and Jets) not sign him long term. Neither team is in a win now or bust mode and neither teams should spend their money on older players for $$$.

Byfuglien is the kind of player that is going to decline rapidly...he's hardly in the best of shape now and IMO he's only going to get slower.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sorry, where do you see this? I just see that "High Scoring Chances For" is even for both teams. So even with the higher shot count, I think the quality of prime shots on was the same.
S.H. column. Have to select "ALL" in the Team Strength combo box.

Low danger saves - Medium danger saves - High danger saves:
Anderson: 23-10-5
Hutchinson: 12-5-12

On the "Event charts" tab you can see that lots of Jets shots were from the outside and they missed a ton from up close.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I guess that's the debate, would an offensive defenceman be better for this team OVERALL if we were able to get the puck out of our end quicker & with more efficiency

No debate, IMO... the answer is : YES!

OVER a defensive defenceman who is so much better at blocking shots & keeping the puck out of our net. Karlsson is a good example of both sides of that debate & Wideman could be a Karlsson lite version of that.

Who is the "defensive defenceman who is so much better at blocking shots & keeping the puck out of our net" that your referring to? Everyone is lobbying for Weir to come out, and he does not fit this description in the slightest.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Wpg was funneling the play to that side of the ice. Had Cowen moved it to Hoffman (an easy pass, sure) it would have likely resulted in the jets squeezing the puck carrier out of time and space along the boards. Had he made that pass, it forces Hoffman to have to beat 1 or 2 Jets players one on one or make a forced pass. Probably no worse than what happened but by no means a great option.

He tried to play it safe and wait for a better option rather than do exactly what Wpg was trying to pressure him to do. Boro then went for the deflection zone entry for a dump and chase.

I don't see the problem with it, though it's hard to clearly see what the jets are doing down ice which is integral to his decision making.

That's the problem with an isolated .gif like this and i agree with you 100%, also from my memory the right Wpg D out of frame was pinching up a bit expecting said pass to hoff, so he would have to get through two guys in tight space, pass back to Cowen or try to squeeze one through to another forward.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
As a Winnipeger I see a lot of Buff and he's an entertaining player to watch. Right now he's a force and he'd make any team he's on much better...but he's on the wrong side of 30 and about to sign a big money long term contract. Sure he's better than any D the Sens have other then Karlsson but I'd rather the Sens (and Jets) not sign him long term. Neither team is in a win now or bust mode and neither teams should spend their money on older players for $$$.

Byfuglien is the kind of player that is going to decline rapidly...he's hardly in the best of shape now and IMO he's only going to get slower.

Would be so tough to do but hard not to agree here, Wpg in an ideal world should trade the guy somewhat ASAP and maximize value unless a long term deal is wanted by both sides. Hope i am wrong but i feel when his game goes it will be soooo quick!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Wideman

- The 2nd highest scoring d-man has 2 points. 2 points! There is absolutely nothing being generated from the back-end outside of Karlsson. Bring in Wideman.

Karlsson
- It is quite obvious that his strategy is to conserve energy. He doesn't commit fully to anything either way. He knows how many minutes he will have to play this season, and he wants to still have something in the tank for the playoffs. Can you blame him?

Anderson
- Those since 2012 stats that show him as a top 10 goalie are expected. Someone should add his playoff stats. This guy is so slept on, it's hilarious.
This is something I would say about Hossa after a bad game.. when I was 10

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No debate, IMO... the answer is : YES!

Who is the "defensive defenceman who is so much better at blocking shots & keeping the puck out of our net" that your referring to? Everyone is lobbying for Weir to come out, and he does not fit this description in the slightest.

You're right Wiercioch is considered a PMD & the player most want replaced but some I have read have also said to replace Cowen or Boro but I think what most want is to break those two up & get Boro back on the left side. So basically replace Wiercioch with Wideman on the roster but shuffle the pairings around so everyone is playing their proper side. BTW I have been saying that for quite a while since preseason I believe to bench Wiercioch but it remains to be seen whether Wideman is a better replacement or whether that creates a whole new set of problems but IMO I think he will be fine.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You're right Wiercioch is considered a PMD & the player most want replaced but some I have read have also said to replace Cowen or Boro but I think what most want is to break those two up & get Boro back on the left side. So basically replace Wiercioch with Wideman on the roster but shuffle the pairings around so everyone is playing their proper side. BTW I have been saying that for quite a while since preseason I believe to bench Wiercioch but it remains to be seen whether Wideman is a better replacement or whether that creates a whole new set of problems but IMO I think he will be .

You think he will be a problem?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When in reality, the issue was?

He simply had a bad game

Karlsson is simply have a string of bad games.. for one reason or another.. just like he did last year.. only now people cant say its because of his partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad