GDT: Jets @ Sens | Home (not so) Sweet Home? | Nov. 5th | 7:30PM | TSN5, RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let me make this easier - is there anyone AGAINST swapping out Weirdcock for Wideman?

The only concern I would have with Wideman coming in is that while the offence should improve, the defensive side could get worse & the goals against go up even higher than they are now which is in the bottom of the league. We already have Karlsson being passed consistently by opposing players for shots on goal at least once a game it seems & maybe the coach doesn't want that increased with Wideman in there too. While getting out of our own end improved with Wideman in the game, he is just as weak defensively as Karlsson & he also gets beat.

I think Cowen plays better with Wideman & that should be a consideration & I think Ceci would play better with Boro & that too should be a consideration & hopefully there would be more O-time & less d-time with those combinations. I think it's a tough call for the coach considering the number of shots on net this team allows now & the number of penalties this team takes.

I guess that's the debate, would an offensive defenceman be better for this team OVERALL if we were able to get the puck out of our end quicker & with more efficiency OVER a defensive defenceman who is so much better at blocking shots & keeping the puck out of our net. Karlsson is a good example of both sides of that debate & Wideman could be a Karlsson lite version of that.

Last edited:

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
That sequence was pretty hilarious. D-men have to realize that if you dont' move it quickly, then the forwards get caught too far up in the neutral zone standing still... and then there are no good options.

Other thoughts on the game:

- Sens were really outclassed in the 3rd, but still managed to get 3 or 4 top notch scoring chances.
- I've never been a Chiasson fan, but I'll admit that he's looked good the past couple games.
- Good to see the Zibanejad / Ryan / Prince line generate some chances. I am liking Prince's game, hope he scores soon.
- Not a good game for Hoffman. I love the guy though.
- The Karlsson turnover on the Jets 2nd goal was brutal. The TSN announcers tried to put it on Zibanejad, but I'm not buying it. Karlsson had time to see he was being challenged.

I thought he was fine and generated chances.

Just didn't show up on the score sheet.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Loving that others use this as well... nothing against Patrick, but my friends and I only use this as his name. Stemmed from originally not knowing how to pronounce his name at first, now it's just hilarious.

If they only half switched places it would be Weirdman and Widecock
ATT00002.gif

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Cowen and Boro exiting the zone, starting up the offence. Brilliant.

As terrible as that sequence is I consider that improvement from last year's Cowen. Last season he'd have gifted it to to Stafford for a breakaway or to Byfuglien for an odd man rush.

Just a testament to how bad he was last season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only concern I would have with Wideman coming in is that while the offence should improve, the defensive side could get worse & the goals against go up even higher than they are now which is in the bottom of the league. We already have Karlsson being passed consistently by opposing players for shots on goal at least once a game it seems & maybe the coach doesn't want that increased with Wideman in there too. While getting out of our own end improved with Wideman in the game, is just as weak defensively as Karlsson & he also gets beat.

I think Cowen plays better with Wideman & that should be a consideration & I think Ceci would play better with Boro & that too should be a consideration & hopefully there would be more O-time & less d-time with those combinations. I think it's a tough call for the coach considering the number of shots on net this team allows now & the number of penalties this team takes.

I guess that's the debate, would an offensive defenceman be better for this team OVERALL if we were able to get the puck out of our end quicker & with more efficiency OVER a defensive defenceman who is so much better at blocking shots & keeping the puck out of our net. Karlsson is a good example of both sides of that debate & Wideman could be a Karlsson lite version of that.

Wideman competes way harder than Karlsson defensively lets get serious. He doesnt stick check or puck watch. His gap control is also really strong because of his mobility.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It was a bit akward, but I like the fact Cowen decided not to force a pass up the ice and instead curled around back and passed back to Boro. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

Of course, when Karlsson does the same thing a couple times in a game, he is "controlling the play" and all that jazz. When the third pairing does it, it's suddenly a bad thing. :dunno:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wideman competes way harder than Karlsson defensively lets get serious. He doesnt stick check or puck watch. His gap control is also really strong because of his mobility.
Agreed ,i like what i saw .He is pretty aggressive in the corners ,and cuts off attackers along the boards well .His speed ,puck skill would allow us to exit the dzone much quicker .And help prevent us getting pinned down there as much

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
As terrible as that sequence is I consider that improvement from last year's Cowen. Last season he'd have gifted it to to Stafford for a breakaway or to Byfuglien for an odd man rush.

Just a testament to how bad he was last season.

Being at the game and being able to see the whole ice i felt the forwards weren't in the right position to recieve a pass and a turnover would have been likely if said pass was attmpted. No problem with a guy playing it safe in this situation.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just finished the game. This game is a prime example why the shots count don't tell the whole story. 40-31 but the scoring chances were heavily in the Sens favor. Jets didn't have a lot of great scoring chances, easy game for Anderson.

Even the OT, 7-3 lol, looked like the opposite.

A bit more finish and the Sens could have won that game pretty easily

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I want big Buff in an Ottawa jersey so badly.

He would be so amazing on the PP with Karlsson.

The big shot, the mobility to sneak in for the back door play, the monstrous size and strength to play in front of the net. I can easily imagine starting a PP with him on the point and if its not working halfway through the PP rotate him to the front of the net with Hoffman or Zibanejad rotating to the point.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Im a big fan of Byfuglien but I dont see the fit unless he can play LW and LD.

Also not sure I want him signed to a 7 year contract. He doesn't come off as a player that will be effective later into his 30's.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Just finished the game. This game is a prime example why the shots count don't tell the whole story. 40-31 but the scoring chances were heavily in the Sens favor. Jets didn't have a lot of great scoring chances, easy game for Anderson.

Even the OT, 7-3 lol, looked like the opposite.

A bit more finish and the Sens could have won that game pretty easily

That is a pretty poor analysis. Jets had plenty of excellent chances. Shots did tell the story. Anderson was stellar, it wasn't an "easy" game.

Both teams played well. The First 2 periods were relatively even. The third was heavily tilted in Winnipeg's favour until the last 5ish minutes when Ottawa got a lot more pressure and scoring opportunities, still the Jets had some good pressure of their own in the last 5 minutes. 3-3 OT both teams had chances with Ottawa having more of them.

Shootout. Hutchison was terrible. After a very good game by him he really played bad on the Ottawa shooters. Anderson was great in the shootout.

Anderson was so clearly by far the star of the game. Both teams coaches are (and seemed to be in post game interviews) probably overall happy with their teams effort and performance.

The chances Ottawa did create ended up with often less then great actual shots on the goalie. Hutchison did not have to make quite the same quality of saves Anderson did. Because we often shot into the goalies chest and such things after making a few brilliant plays to get a good scoring chance.

I don't know how you can watch this game and seem to think Ottawa kinda rolled Winnipeg. They didn't. Winnipeg probably played a slightly better game them we did. Both teams having a good effort overall and the difference was Anderson coming up with an incredible game.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It was a bit akward, but I like the fact Cowen decided not to force a pass up the ice and instead curled around back and passed back to Boro. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

Of course, when Karlsson does the same thing a couple times in a game, he is "controlling the play" and all that jazz. When the third pairing does it, it's suddenly a bad thing. :dunno:

You like the fact he didn't give it to Hoffman who had time and space along the wing?

I was yelling "just hand it to Hoffman" as Hoffman curled around with speed.

Also I always get on karlsson for taking his sweet time instead of forcing the play up ice. Especially how he kills half the power play behind our net waiting for something he likes.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Im a big fan of Byfuglien but I dont see the fit unless he can play LW and LD.

Also not sure I want him signed to a 7 year contract. He doesn't come off as a player that will be effective later into his 30's.

Who cares, we could all be dead by then!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You like the fact he didn't give it to Hoffman who had time and space along the wing?

I was yelling "just hand it to Hoffman" as Hoffman curled around with speed.

Also I always get on karlsson for taking his sweet time instead of forcing the play up ice. Especially how he kills half the power play behind our net waiting for something he likes.

Well, Cowen obviously felt he couldn't make that pass (or he felt the linesman was in the way for a bounce pass using the boards). Would you rather he tried to force the pass and have it intercepted by that Jets (#12) player....so make the safe play and pass to his defensive partner?

Baby steps.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If Buff was on this team, he'd spend his entire time between the penalty box and on suspension. He wouldn't get the same league leeway with us as he does with Canada's little darling team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg