Pascal Vincent: Stay or Go?

Will the Jackets fire Pascal Vincent?

• Total voters

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not going to lie, Rierdon seems to be highly regarded as an assistant for his work with defensemen according to the athletic article.

Regardless of who is head coach here next year, I think he'd fill a need on our assistant staff and a big upgrade over McCarthy.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not going to lie, Rierdon seems to be highly regarded as an assistant for his work with defensemen according to the athletic article.

Regardless of who is head coach here next year, I think he'd fill a need on our assistant staff and a big upgrade over McCarthy.
Maybe I read a different Athletic article. Here's what the one I read said:

Twice an assistant coach with the Penguins — once under Dan Bylsma, and under Mike Sullivan for the past four years — Reirden came under fire from the fan base this season because of the power play’s staggering struggles. Despite coaching a unit that possesses a number of future Hall of Famers, Pittsburgh finished 31st in the NHL on the power play and led the league in shorthanded goals allowed.

Reirden, whose contract expired once the Penguins’ season ended, was also responsible for coaching the Penguins’ defensemen, many of whom struggled during the 2023-24 season.

:dunno:

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Twice an assistant coach with the Penguins — once under Dan Bylsma, and under Mike Sullivan for the past four years — Reirden came under fire from the fan base this season because of the power play’s staggering struggles. Despite coaching a unit that possesses a number of future Hall of Famers, Pittsburgh finished 31st in the NHL on the power play and led the league in shorthanded goals allowed.

Reirden, whose contract expired once the Penguins’ season ended, was also responsible for coaching the Penguins’ defensemen, many of whom struggled during the 2023-24 season.

Sounds like we wouldn’t miss a beat on the PP with him. :naughty:

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Sorry don’t like to be totally negative but McCarthy was a last minute replacement and I feel just isn’t good at either translating the message, teaching (to the players) or in game adjustments.

Again this is subjective on my account but switching him out for a veteran D coach has to merit some level of uptick in better defensive coverage.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

"Sullivan and Reirden have developed a very strong relationship over the years and despite what Dubas said in his statement, it is not believed Sullivan was in favor of Reirden’s dismissal. Reirden, the former head coach of the Washington Capitals, has long been regarded as one of hockey’s best assistant coaches with his specialty lying in his work with defensemen."
"Reirden’s situation was interesting in that he worked with the defensemen and with the power play. It’s somewhat unusual for a coach to oversee those two units. It could be that Pittsburgh will bring more than one coach in to handle those duties."

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Sounds like we wouldn’t miss a beat on the PP with him. :naughty:
It’s become acceptable in this org that it’s OK to have a brutal powerplay . You have the skilled players to have a damn good powerplay .. Unfortunately some players were penciled on the top powerplay that have no business being on that top unit . An outside perspective is needed here .. whole staff should not be brought back

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Just saying if the jackets don’t want to get left behind with premier candidates they better make a decision on Pascal in the next few weeks or so

(In the end I do believe pascal will be retained for at least one more year)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Just saying if the jackets don’t want to get left behind with premier candidates they better make a decision on Pascal in the next few weeks or so

(In the end I do believe pascal will be retained for at least one more year)

By default, they'd better get moving on a GM candidate first but I also think PV isn't going anywhere. I highly doubt a new coach is a package deal with a new GM and I doubt a new GM will be so quick to pull the trigger without taking the time to get to know everyone in the organization first.

The last thing I want is some guy with a quick trigger finger before doing his research first.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The longer the GM process goes, the more comfortable Vincent’s seat gets. IMO

Though now after posting this I have gotten word that on Jeff Mareks podcast and 32 Thoughts podcast yesterday Marek has said there will be a head coach opening in Columbus. I have not heard them myself yet, but I will be able to confirm over the weekend

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The longer the GM process goes, the more comfortable Vincent’s seat gets. IMO

Though now after posting this I have gotten word that on Jeff Mareks podcast and 32 Thoughts podcast yesterday Marek has said there will be a head coach opening in Columbus. I have not heard them myself yet, but I will be able to confirm over the weekend
I’m in the middle of listening to Marek now. He threw Columbus into a list of openings in passing. Unless more comes up in the rest of the podcast I think he just misspoke and didn’t realize or pay attention that we still have a coach.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

• There have been 19 head-coaching changes since last season, including Rick Bowness’ retirement, and 12 this season alone.

Leading the race to No. 20​

Columbus Blue Jackets, Pascal Vincent

It’ll be up to whoever takes over as Blue Jackets general manager to decide what happens with Vincent. He doesn’t have a ton to lean on, other than the fact that hiring a fourth head coach in 13 months would be a brutal look.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

• There have been 19 head-coaching changes since last season, including Rick Bowness’ retirement, and 12 this season alone.

Leading the race to No. 20​

Columbus Blue Jackets, Pascal Vincent

It’ll be up to whoever takes over as Blue Jackets general manager to decide what happens with Vincent. He doesn’t have a ton to lean on, other than the fact that hiring a fourth head coach in 13 months would be a brutal look.
Fourth? Did I miss something?

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
He means that there would then have been four coaches in the span of 13 months: Larsen, Babcock, Vincent and whoever would replace him.
I believe this reasoning to be extremely stupid, by the way. Don't keep a coach because you want to say you're a stable franchise. This is exactly what happened with the Browns and Hue Jackson when it was painfully obvious that Hue wasn't the guy.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I believe this reasoning to be extremely stupid, by the way. Don't keep a coach because you want to say you're a stable franchise. This is exactly what happened with the Browns and Hue Jackson when it was painfully obvious that Hue wasn't the guy.
And the browns couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Prioritising optics over the good of the team is always a mistake, I'd agree. Personally, I'm for giving Vincent another year, though. But not because it would look bad to fire him. Rather, there was improvement from Larsen's last year and I'd like for him to get a whole off-season as well as some input on the roster. Furthermore, I am generally skeptical of judging a coach on one season.

Reactions: VT and CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad