GDT: Jets @ Sens | Home (not so) Sweet Home? | Nov. 5th | 7:30PM | TSN5, RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Sad I wasn't able to stay up for this. Watched the first two and feel asleep when it went to 2-2.

Congrats boys! Solid Win for your lot!

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Last night really showed the need for Wideman. Cowen and Boro were just insanely brutal in our zone.

its a matter of sitting our worst defenceman (wier) and breaking these 2 up

i swear watching wier play and some of the plays that he makes im actually looking forward to phillips coming back and taking his spot

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago

i swear watching wier play and some of the plays that he makes im actually looking forward to phillips coming back and taking his spot

Whenever someone suggest Phillips I automatically respond with this:

GracefulBoringGhostshrimp.gif

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
PW was by far the worst D on the ice for either team.

It was a rare shift for Ceci and PW where they didn't struggle in the D-zone and most of the problem was due to PW's lack of mobility and strength.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. I'm at the point where I almost can't watch Weir play. Not only is he slow in skating, he's also extremely slow in his decision making with the puck.

I'm also in the camp who believes that being paired with Weir is hurting Ceci's development. He seems far more passive in the defensive zone than he did the past couple seasons.... I think he feels like if he gets caught slightly out of position he knows Weir will not be able to cover up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Count me in with the 'Wideman in' camp.

Seems logical...have a Boro-Ceci pairing. Let Ceci focus on playing his all-around game with a basic defensive defenseman as his partner. Then Cowen can stick to the basics with Wideman playing his game.

Too much sense not to do it.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa

Seems logical...have a Boro-Ceci pairing. Let Ceci focus on playing his all-around game with a basic defensive defenseman as his partner. Then Cowen can stick to the basics with Wideman playing his game.

The only thing I can think of is that GMBM is trying not to devalue his asset in Weir too much in hopes of swinging a deal with him involved... although any other GM watching the games sees that he's struggling, and nothing like that glimpse of awesome that came out of the World Championships last spring. If Sens brass scratches him, does it hurt his value in trying to move him?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Cowen and Boro exiting the zone, starting up the offence. Brilliant.

That sequence was pretty hilarious. D-men have to realize that if you dont' move it quickly, then the forwards get caught too far up in the neutral zone standing still... and then there are no good options.

Other thoughts on the game:

- Sens were really outclassed in the 3rd, but still managed to get 3 or 4 top notch scoring chances.
- I've never been a Chiasson fan, but I'll admit that he's looked good the past couple games.
- Good to see the Zibanejad / Ryan / Prince line generate some chances. I am liking Prince's game, hope he scores soon.
- Not a good game for Hoffman. I love the guy though.
- The Karlsson turnover on the Jets 2nd goal was brutal. The TSN announcers tried to put it on Zibanejad, but I'm not buying it. Karlsson had time to see he was being challenged.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Let me make this easier - is there anyone AGAINST swapping out Weirdcock for Wideman?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The only thing I can think of is that GMBM is trying not to devalue his asset in Weir too much in hopes of swinging a deal with him involved... although any other GM watching the games sees that he's struggling, and nothing like that glimpse of awesome that came out of the World Championships last spring. If Sens brass scratches him, does it hurt his value in trying to move him?

It might...but at this point I don't see him bringing back anything of substance in a trade (at least, not on his own). And, we do need to get Wideman in there soon. You can't let a young player rot on the bench.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The need for speed on the defense ,is real .Just by having some more of it will help both the offense and defense.Iam sure Boro and Cowen arent happy about playing together ,all the time .Both will be far better when paired with more mobile puck handling types .That can offset both of their weakness,s:cry:But we won 2 in a row so i suspect that bought Weircoch another 5 games:cry::cry::rant:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think the issue is that when Wideman is in, Cameron feels compelled to shelter the crap out of his pairing (like we used to do with Wier).

The problem is, this puts a lot more pressure on the top 4 which is less than ideal. I'd like to see it, but I understand why the team is hesitant to.

I think a more likely scenario is once they are comfortable with Cowen's game, to move him up with Ceci, and then Wier, Wideman and Boro will battle it out to see who gets the last two spots.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Let me make this easier - is there anyone AGAINST swapping out Weirdcock for Wideman?
The coach and probably GM ,the best players play .Only if we dont have to have a player making 2.7 in real dollars sit :cry:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Whenever someone suggest Phillips I automatically respond with this:

GracefulBoringGhostshrimp.gif

I'm suprised Phillips didn't get an interference penalty on that one. Once he lost the puck he tries to tie up his man. But once the other guy is on a full fledge breakaway, phillips keeps trying to drive this other guy into the boards several seconds after he had the puck.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'm suprised Phillips didn't get an interference penalty on that one. Once he lost the puck he tries to tie up his man. But once the other guy is on a full fledge breakaway, phillips keeps trying to drive this other guy into the boards several seconds after he had the puck.

This sequence ended with 2-on-0 rush by 2 defencemen while Phillips was busy with that forward. And a goal obviously.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Despite the struggles gotta tip my hat, this team has found ways to pick up points which i did not think they would do early on. Andy again with an outstanding performance. I noticed the wingers seemed to have a tough time getting the puck out of our zone from the half wall area everytime it was sent along to them from behind our net.....the D is struggling but this does not help and exposes all bigtime. didn't notice much of Weir last night myself but i know Sens fans always need a goat so im glad JCow is slightly out of the spotlight. Personally i see a noticeable change in his footspeed and confidence from last season and hope that continues!

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa

Loving that others use this as well... nothing against Patrick, but my friends and I only use this as his name. Stemmed from originally not knowing how to pronounce his name at first, now it's just hilarious.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I have been saying this all yr, DC won't listen to us. :laugh:

Last night really showed the need for Wideman. Cowen and Boro were just insanely brutal in our zone.

Did you also see Byfuglien blow right past Karlsson & score a goal last night? How about Gallagher the game before blow past Karlsson & get a good scoring chance on net? Or the game before that or the game before that? Those two aren't the only ones who are insanely brutal in our zone, the golden boy gets beat consistently & is responsible for a number of goals against too. :shakehead

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have been saying this all yr, DC won't listen to us. :laugh:

Did you also see Byfuglien blow right past Karlsson & score a goal last night? How about Gallagher the game before blow past Karlsson & get a good scoring chance on net? Or the game before that or the game before that? Those two aren't the only ones who are insanely brutal in our zone, the golden boy gets beat consistently & is responsible for a number of goals against too. :shakehead
Yeah, EK needs to get it in gear ,he is far better than what he has showed early.Weircoch,s weakness,s were, glaring ,against the habs last spring.Slow and weak. Are two things a nhl defender cant get away with

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
u

While I'm not gonna pretend wier was great he certainly wasn't the worst d man out there last night playing for the sens.

I just wanna see Wideman get in the lineup so no one is playing out of position. I don't care who comes out Wier Cowen or Boro.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The Wier hate is overblown, but he hasn't been playing well. He hasn't been the worst D every game, but he's up there. I'd be down to get Wideman in just so the pairing got broken up. Both the Wier - Ceci and Cowen - Boro pairs are not working. If Wideman comes in, that creates a Boro - Ceci second pairing and Cowen - Wideman. Wier then can come in for someone who might be struggling at a later time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Wier hate is overblown, but he hasn't been playing well. He hasn't been the worst D every game, but he's up there. I'd be down to get Wideman in just so the pairing got broken up. Both the Wier - Ceci and Cowen - Boro pairs are not working. If Wideman comes in, that creates a Boro - Ceci second pairing and Cowen - Wideman. Wier then can come in for someone who might be struggling at a later time.

The three of them on any given night seem to step up and go for the title of worst d man. When thats half your D core something has to change, atleast so there is some accountability. Have a terrible game then you sit upstairs for a night. This forward group is great off the rush, even when they were getting outplayed last night they were still getting glorious chances. If they had better puck movement from the back end this team could be lethal.

Methot Karlsson
Russell Ceci
Boro/Cowen Wideman

I honestly think this could make the sens contenders.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

......Phillips cowen and boro taking up 50% of a defense... Im not exaggerating when I say that just shuttered. Just thinking of that is making me sick.. lowest point in Sens history.
Wierciohc hasn't been good.. but I mean.... theres cowen and boro, that are an ABSOLUTE MESS. Wiercioch is simply there, not doing much. Cowen and Boro are actively screwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad