OT: Jets Lounge: Winds of Winter (no Star Wars spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Just came back from Star Wars: Rogue One, and I have to say I think it's a much better movie than The Force Awakens. I wasn't bored throughout the entire second act, the action was amazing, and it was brutal as hell (as far as Star Wars goes that is).

Go see it!

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Just came back from Star Wars: Rogue One, and I have to say I think it's a much better movie than The Force Awakens. I wasn't bored throughout the entire second act, the action was amazing, and it was brutal as hell (as far as Star Wars goes that is).

Go see it!

Can I take a 6 year old to it?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Can I take a 6 year old to it?

I think you can. There's still no blood or swearing, but it is a bit less hopeful and some parts portray the rebels a bit less kindly than the original trilogy.

There's only two parts that might be questionable in my eyes. There's a tentacle alien that could be a little scary (although this part is very brief).

It's tough to describe the second part without spoilers but, I will say that some NAMELESS rebels meet an unkind end. But like I said, no blood, swearing, or dismemberment.

Overall, if you've seen Revenge of the Sith and would let your kid see that, Rogue One is fine. Now that I think about ROTS was probably more intense in some places.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I normally would have been at the first screening last night, but I was watching the Enstrom brainfart fest at the MTSC last night. But going to see Rogue One tonight. I'm glad to hear all of the rave reviews about it though. At first I was resistant to the idea of a Star Wars movie released during winter but I realized this is a great way to actually get THROUGH winter and have something to look forward to :yo:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wtf did you guys know Eric Comrie's dad is the owner of The Brick and has a net worth of 415m?! Just learning this now and that's insane. Can't wait till he's our starting goaltender so we can start calling him the brick wall :laugh:

You also know he has 2 brothers, both of which played for the Oilers, and one was married to Hillary Duff, right??

Don't want to blow your mind or anything :laugh::laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not much of a trekie starwarzy but I did take my 8 year old to the last one so I guess if we get the time over the holidays we might check this dealeo out too......I have friends that just eat this stuff up???

As always movies are in the eye of the beholder and I will make the best out of it but I doubt I will enjoy it nearly as much as "Hell or High Water" which was a masterpiece IMO of coarse.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But imagine if it were built.

No way anyone could ever take it down.

Will be pretty crappy sequel then, cos of course they're gonna build it alright, just for the visuals.

Assuming of course that this one does well enough in the box office.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Star Wars Rogue 1 = ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Gee I wonder if they'll be able to get the plans back to the rebellion.

dude, you ever try to write a sci-fi movie script?
it's hard.
imagine having to write a movie about outer space and it NOT involving:
a Death Star
rebels
a dark side
daddy issues

impossible, i say!

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
it's hard.
a Death Star
rebels
a dark side
daddy issues

impossible, i say!

Yeah well "happily" in this case there's nooo hope that Rogue One 2 is going to be anything but a by-the-numbers sci-fi flick.

The Empire gets the Death Star done by some logistical miracle, we'll be introduced to a new heroine, some resourceful gal who's gotten herself somehow tangled into the rebellion. If they only could they would go full Frozen and make her a honorary Disney princess and slap some well-meaning but not too bright hunk of a farmboy there with her.

Anyway, they'll learn of some super-secret vulnerability from her long-lost dad who's surprisingly found in the service of the Empire as a low-lever tech and spend the two final hours of the film pulling off some genious Ocean 11 type of scheme to get to the vulnerability that renders the Death Star somewhat inoperational. The daddy if course dies heroically covering their escape or something.

A tire fire so. They'll need some pretty seriously cool quirky alien character to salvage any of it.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I am not much of a trekie starwarzy but I did take my 8 year old to the last one so I guess if we get the time over the holidays we might check this dealeo out too......I have friends that just eat this stuff up???

As always movies are in the eye of the beholder and I will make the best out of it but I doubt I will enjoy it nearly as much as "Hell or High Water" which was a masterpiece IMO of coarse.

But Star Wars has laser beams, and cute little critters and things blowing up right and left! I looked up that Hell or High Water on Rotten Tomatoes and there was a comment there that it "eschews mindless gunplay", and I thought to myself, hey this sounds pretty good, till I looked up what eschews means. Then it just sounded boring. I guess you're one of those artsy types that sit through those 3 hour foreign films with the words at the bottom where all they do the whole time is smoke and brood and have flashbacks. ;)

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I guess you're one of those artsy types that sit through those 3 hour foreign films with the words at the bottom where all they do the whole time is smoke and brood and have flashbacks. ;)

Stop slagging on Reservoir Dogs.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
it's hard.
a Death Star
rebels
a dark side
daddy issues

impossible, i say!

I just watched the 1971 Andromeda Strain.

It was a full movie about following proper scientific procedures. It was so boring.

I loved it.

EDIT: and I'm one of those dirty millennials.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
All the SW movies on even years are filler movies. They are like the SW Movie version of the old EU books. For that, I thought Rogue 1 was pretty good... but not special. I wasn't expecting IV, V, or even VI quality. Just wanted a decent movie set in the SW universe.

I liked that it was more actiony and more original. The movie isn't going to have any twists or surprises given where it is placed in the timeline, so I just wanted something that had a good pace, original, and had characters that were real people with arcs.

I got 2/3. The characters weren't dull or flat like the prequels, which is nice, but weren't strong enough to give 3/3.

As for Ep VII I thought it was good, with some flaws, but played extremely safe. My opinion on the the whole newer movies will be heavily contingent on Ep IX. Ep VII was essentially a soft reboot of Ep IV... but if they make IX basically a rewrite of Ep V instead of taking new directions I'll snap my lid.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I agree. I don't understand the Star Wars hype either (only saw the new ones due to pressure from friends). As someone who has not seen the Star Wars movies other than this new batch, even I thought the storyline is predictable as hell. Frankly, they are on the same level as the glut of superhero movies where there are zero surprises for you as the audience. It's a shame that this class of movies has taken over Hollywood.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I agree. I don't understand the Star Wars hype either (only saw the new ones due to pressure from friends). As someone who has not seen the Star Wars movies other than this new batch, even I thought the storyline is predictable as hell. Frankly, they are on the same level as the glut of superhero movies where there are zero surprises for you as the audience. It's a shame that this class of movies has taken over Hollywood.

it is 100% not for every viewer. there are a ton of movies to view that come out every month from independents, to Hollywood to the artsy type films. I am sure you can find something that fits your bill more than an action sci-fi movie as it seems that is not your thing.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Did anyone get to see Arrival?

I'm not sure what I thought about it. The linguistics would have been easier if the aliens used case marking in their language :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Did anyone get to see Arrival?

I'm not sure what I thought about it. The linguistics would have been easier if the aliens used case marking in their language :laugh:

I liked arrival. Mostly well done but something just didnt click to make it a favourite of mine. I think as a big sci fi fan i figured out the twist far too early. But very good overall.

Wont respond to comparing star wars to superhero drivel. Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad