OT: Jets Lounge: Winds of Winter (no Star Wars spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Nothing wrong with superhero movies. They are fun, escapist, action-adventure fare.

Civil War was incredibly entertaining. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. :)

I wasn't super into civil war, but the Airport fight was worth the price of admission.

I was kinda dissapointed, because The Winter Soldier is my favorite marvel movie, and Civil war is basically Avengers 4.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Nothing wrong with superhero movies. They are fun, escapist, action-adventure fare.

Plenty wrong with superhero movies. They take a whole media/genre of entertainment that plays by completely different set of inner rules and mix n' match from decades of material and try condensing it into a ~2 hour flick and perverse it to the Hollywood rules where character's importance is hugely determined by how big a star they have gotten into the role and shun codenames and masks because codenames apparently are silly and the mask would cover the mug of their big star which they just can't have.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are Magneto's kids no matter what your stupid franchise-limited movie rights are trying to say about it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Civil War was incredibly entertaining. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. :)

Civil war had a chance to be a GREAT movie. It simply did not come together. It was allegory for ideas like government surveillence, freedom vs security, rights of citizens. Very very important modern issues that they set up very well. Then they said screw it lets fight this bad guy. That pissed me off so much about how bungled that movie was that i cant give it a good grade. Its like they hired a real writer for the first half then hired michael bay to write the 2nd. Terrible execution of a great idea.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Civil war had a chance to be a GREAT movie. It simply did not come together. It was allegory for ideas like government surveillence, freedom vs security, rights of citizens. Very very important modern issues that they set up very well. Then they said screw it lets fight this bad guy. That pissed me off so much about how bungled that movie was that i cant give it a good grade. Its like they hired a real writer for the first half then hired michael bay to write the 2nd. Terrible execution of a great idea.

... or alternatively, took and ran with the base idea of Marvel Comic's big event of 2006-2007 (which itself had been more or less burning slowly from the 80's Uncanny X-Men's Mutant Registration Act shenanigans) for which they used dozens of comicbooks for trying to portray both sides of the issues, and moved to condense it into ~2 hour flick that has a movie-appropriate ending.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
... or alternatively, took and ran with the base idea of Marvel Comic's big event of 2006-2007 (which itself had been more or less burning slowly from the 80's Uncanny X-Men's Mutant Registration Act shenanigans) for which they used dozens of comicbooks for trying to portray both sides of the issues, and moved to condense it into ~2 hour flick that has a movie-appropriate ending.

Yeah no. Other movies manage to have a consistent theme with a coherent ending without resorting to, who cares about our disagreements lets fight this bad guy together. It was such a ham fisted brutal second half. Particularly when they had a confirmed sequel before writing it.

Great sci-fi or superhero movies take themes from today and exaggerate to emphasis points within a storytelling medium. Thats how you get entertaining and great movies. Marvel has consistently failed to deliver in writing or plot. Civil War i find stings a little more since it had more potential than most of the drivel they put out. But they squandered it quite a bit.

And no i dont read comics so i care little for what happens in comics

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I'm not saying you should or you should, I'm just saying that awaiting for a magnum superhero sci-fi opus is probs going to get one disappointed because Marvel movies pretty much are, especially plot-wise, half-assing stuff that a) has already been done b) better, or the very least in more genre-appropriate way in more genre-appropriate medium.

Stuff like Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns rightfully shook the hell out of the comics world in the 80's, much because they're building on what the genre had been for nearly fifty years, but the 00's films cashing into the hype with corresponding titles are pretty much necessarily going to be but films among others.

That Darth Vader dude, though, a mutilated man behind a mask and an armor, with extraordinary scientific prowess and magic powers, who's peacocking around with his cape billowing harassing the good people of a despot-ruled nation, is totes Dr. Doom when you stop to think about it.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I agree on Civil War being decent than just turned into a superhero royal rumble. Which is ok to, because it's just meant to be big budget fun.

Marvel's story lines are and always have been simplistic. DC stories are deeper (darker). Unfortunately it has not translated well so far. BvS looks like a sign of things to come from DC (Zack Snyder).

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yeah no. Other movies manage to have a consistent theme with a coherent ending without resorting to, who cares about our disagreements lets fight this bad guy together. It was such a ham fisted brutal second half. Particularly when they had a confirmed sequel before writing it.

Great sci-fi or superhero movies take themes from today and exaggerate to emphasis points within a storytelling medium. Thats how you get entertaining and great movies. Marvel has consistently failed to deliver in writing or plot. Civil War i find stings a little more since it had more potential than most of the drivel they put out. But they squandered it quite a bit.

Big disagreement there. The committee designed nature of that movie, and the need to jam in every hero, and like, 5 different movie set ups was what held it down. Take out all those elements, and you might have room for a good story.

Civil war wasn't good as a movie, but it got me kinda hyped for Black Panther and Spiderman. I have no interest in Civil War 2 though. I reacted the exact same way to the first Captain America.

"Well that was kinda dull, with a weak ending, but at least Avengers is set up."

At least I think they're (Marvel) are doing spider man right. I'm so glad I avoided the Amazing series.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
yeah, was wondering if i could get away with a kegerator. guess not.

Why not just free the keg fridge from its dungeon and into the kitchen? That's where mine sits. Wife wasn't crazy about it at first, but she has since seen the benefit of the added cold storage it provides for her ice cream collection. :)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Why not just free the keg fridge from its dungeon and into the kitchen? That's where mine sits. Wife wasn't crazy about it at first, but she has since seen the benefit of the added cold storage it provides for her ice cream collection. :)

i don't think it would match the rest of the motif :)

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
All this talk about superhero movies. You guys sound like my kids...they always have to watch them, no matter how good or bad. But can i ask you guys this. How can i convince them to watch The sound of Music...seriously...It was playing last night and they left the room.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
All this talk about superhero movies. You guys sound like my kids...they always have to watch them, no matter how good or bad. But can i ask you guys this. How can i convince them to watch The sound of Music...seriously...It was playing last night and they left the room.

From what I remember Sound of Music was kinda boring as a kid. Always liked Mary Poppins though.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

How old are they?

I got sat through it at six and fell in love.

Maybe start with Mary Poppins, it don't think it's as long?? Or hell, start them on some other musicals. The Little Shop of Horrors movie is pretty good. :laugh:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

sorry man, but that's a fool's errand.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I watch everything. Doesnt matter the genre, the time period, the supposed quality of the film. My favourites range from M to 2001 to The Station Agent to A Dogs Breakfast to Guardians of the Galaxy.

I tend to skew towards sci-fi (note: superhero is NOT sci-fi) and towards critical favourites (ie slower better written/acted movies over cgi fightfests).But obviously i like movies opposite those characteristics.

I didnt like Sound of Music. I can see its well done for a musical for its time but id never sit down and watch it again. Does nothing for me. Ill be honest musical is probably my least favourite genre but theres a few i like. Burtons Sweeney Todd comes to mind.

Last edited:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I hate traffic. "Hey I want to go 30 under the speed limit cause it's scary out... but also, let's block up both lanes so nobody with winter tires and a lack of fear can get by and get to work on time."

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I hate traffic. "Hey I want to go 30 under the speed limit cause it's scary out... but also, let's block up both lanes so nobody with winter tires and a lack of fear can get by and get to work on time."

Calm down please :)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I love winter tires, but if you are driving around with a lack of fear, you are the problem.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I love winter tires, but if you are driving around with a lack of fear, you are the problem.

There is nothing to fear, especially today. I give myself plenty of space between me and any car in front of me and always tap my breaks if I'm out on the highway to get a feel for what stopping is going to be like. But people in this city are ridiculous.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
There is nothing to fear, especially today. I give myself plenty of space between me and any car in front of me and always tap my breaks if I'm out on the highway to get a feel for what stopping is going to be like. But people in this city are ridiculous.

yeah, so do i. And yet this morning at one particular intersection I gently applied my brakes like I had at every other intersection till then...and the ABS kicked in bigtime and I was sliding with zero traction. I slid about 4 car lengths with literally no control...sheer ice. I was going real slow, but if there'd been a car stopped at the intersection in front of me I'd have bumped it...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Someone came flying up behind me on the Osborne bridge during rush hour yesterday. I was the last one through the light before the bridge, so there was room behind me. I saw in my mirror a small black suv sideways heading for me. I braced and they skidded the other way at the last second and missed me, but just about hit the side of the bridge.....

what an idiot.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Try driving down here where people are shocked to see water falling from the sky in liquid form too.

Not that they drive safe enough not to crash. At least one of the bridges across the bay is blocked at least twice a week.:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad