OT: Jets Lounge: Winds of Winter (no Star Wars spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Did you get a property disclosure statement when you made your offer to purchase?

I recently bought a house as well and was told while it's always good to get a property disclosure statement it's not really something you use in a legal battle. My agent told me straight out that they will probably lie on it. The house I bought was built in '85 and so far hasn't had anything come up that I wasn't already aware of. /knocks on wood

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I recently bought a house as well and was told while it's always good to get a property disclosure statement it's not really something you use in a legal battle. My agent told me straight out that they will probably lie on it. The house I bought was built in '85 and so far hasn't had anything come up that I wasn't already aware of. /knocks on wood

As someone who is starting as an agent in January from my literature this is exactly correct.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure I would agree that Property Disclosure Statements are as ineffectual as people are saying. I'm sure Shakey has a better idea than I.

A quick look found a number of instances in Manitoba where they played a role in litigation. Here is a case which could mirror LadyJet's situation.
A lot of it will come down to representations made above and beyond simply the disclosure statement.

http://www.canlii.org/en/mb/mbqb/do...autocompleteStr=Wiebe v. lo&autocompletePos=3

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
People lie on them all the time. See it lots in the legal field. And you can only go so far with a PDS. Asked one of our litigation lawyers today and she said it only survives for so long

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No doubt people lie :laugh:
I'm just not convinced that they are ineffective tools per se.

Yes i agree. From sellers perspective it protects you if you are honest. As a buyer they only matter if they lied and you can PROVE they lied. Thats not easy. In terms of legal cases. In the end it wont be any kind of smoking gun, because the big problems (latent material defects) are already required to be disclosed beyond pds.

That was a case of a moron who lied while bring easily provable, problem was severe, AND they noticed before moving in. Not the most common of cases.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And litigation obviously is good only for the limitation of the amount of financial damages you suffer in the best of cases. You've already lost when the matters go to court.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
And litigation obviously is good only for the limitation of the amount of financial damages you suffer in the best of cases. You've already lost when the matters go to court.

Small claims court (amounts <$10,000) is available here in Manitoba and the cost for filing isn't prohibitive. It can be used for situations such as this, though I'm not sure how a judge would view proof. There is always a chance you will lose the case but at least with small claims the cost of filing is relatively small. Generally no lawyers are involved so no fees that way either, just the cost of filing and your time.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Small claims court (amounts <$10,000) is available here in Manitoba and the cost for filing isn't prohibitive. It can be used for situations such as this, though I'm not sure how a judge would view proof. There is always a chance you will lose the case but at least with small claims the cost of filing is relatively small. Generally no lawyers are involved so no fees that way either, just the cost of filing and your time.

I'm of the school that legal system is like the safety net for the air acrobats. When you find yourself relying on one you may avoid the worst kind of splat but the fancy trick you were trying to do is irreparably ruined.

In the very best case there is still the hassle, and even if you're legally entitled to 100 % of damages, for example to the full estimated monetary value of your used car that got totaled, you'd be hard-pressed to actually find an equal replacement for the one that you know the quirks of and that you just had the rear brakes completely repaired for.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Wtf did you guys know Eric Comrie's dad is the owner of The Brick and has a net worth of 415m?! Just learning this now and that's insane. Can't wait till he's our starting goaltender so we can start calling him the brick wall :laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Wtf did you guys know Eric Comrie's dad is the owner of The Brick and has a net worth of 415m?! Just learning this now and that's insane. Can't wait till he's our starting goaltender so we can start calling him the brick wall :laugh:

Yes, I knew. And I agree it's insane that you're just learning this now. ;)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

:laugh::laugh:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Hey guys, let's see what: CLIPPED What about you?

1. book you're reading - Peter Cozzens' The Earth Is Weeping

2. album you're listening to - rotating through Paloma Faith's three albums - cannot stop listening to this singer

3. game you're playing - cribbage? no video games, other than helping my nephew with Skylanders and Paper Mario

Ladyjet - get a terrier; much better than cats for ridding property of rodents. Ours wasn't even 6 months old when she cleared out the mice living under the little shed in the dog run. Since then she's managed to clean out the rest of the mice that had set up shop under our big shed, and then dealt with the neighbour's prairie dog problem by killing one and severely wounding a couple of others, then moved onto the pesky bluejays that kept flying in the yard (caught and killed two immature jays and now the bluejays avoid our yard) Apparently Corgi, Jack Russell, West Highland White, Scottish and Border terriers are all particularly good at rodent elimination.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
1. book you're reading - Peter Cozzens' The Earth Is Weeping

2. album you're listening to - rotating through Paloma Faith's three albums - cannot stop listening to this singer

3. game you're playing - cribbage? no video games, other than helping my nephew with Skylanders and Paper Mario

Ladyjet - get a terrier; much better than cats for ridding property of rodents. Ours wasn't even 6 months old when she cleared out the mice living under the little shed in the dog run. Since then she's managed to clean out the rest of the mice that had set up shop under our big shed, and then dealt with the neighbour's prairie dog problem by killing one and severely wounding a couple of others, then moved onto the pesky bluejays that kept flying in the yard (caught and killed two immature jays and now the bluejays avoid our yard) Apparently Corgi, Jack Russell, West Highland White, Scottish and Border terriers are all particularly good at rodent elimination.

I live there too. We will NEVER have a dog. Will not happen.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He says he doesn't like them. Frankly I think he's scared of them.

Dogs are too much work. Rather just go visit the dogs at my parents

Not scared. Just really dislike them. I dont like the barking, dont like the licking, dont like constant need for attention, dont like the mess, dont like the work you have to do, dont like the smell, dont like anything about dogs.

Imo theres zero positives and miles of negatives to dogs.

Its just what i feel. I know lots of people love dogs and are going to say if you train it and whatnot, im not buying. People are not wrong to like dogs, if you like em fine doesnt bother me. I can't stand them myself

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
^Better that than the people who don't realize that a dog is going to be a huge part of your life for a long time and require lots of your time and work and then bring them back to a shelter after a few months. Those people are the worst.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Not scared. Just really dislike them. I dont like the barking, dont like the licking, dont like constant need for attention, dont like the mess, dont like the work you have to do, dont like the smell, dont like anything about dogs.

Its just what i feel. I know lots of people love dogs and are going to say if you train it and whatnot, im not buying. People are not wrong to like dogs, if you like em fine doesnt bother me. I can't stand them myself

Uh huh. My german shepard says otherwise (she stays with the parents). Although she did kinda warm up to you a little.

You do snuggle with the cat though.;)

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville

Fair enough. Thanks for the honest answer.

Guess you and LJ need to call the exterminator!

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Funny coming in here and reading a hate post of dogs.

I just got another dog, and shes the daughter I never had. A Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

The amount of work dogs are, they are worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad