OT: Jets Lounge: Winds of Winter (no Star Wars spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
But Star Wars has laser beams, and cute little critters and things blowing up right and left! I looked up that Hell or High Water on Rotten Tomatoes and there was a comment there that it "eschews mindless gunplay", and I thought to myself, hey this sounds pretty good, till I looked up what eschews means. Then it just sounded boring. I guess you're one of those artsy types that sit through those 3 hour foreign films with the words at the bottom where all they do the whole time is smoke and brood and have flashbacks. ;)

ok that one had me chuckling.

Hell or High Water is not a bang bang shot em up for the dumb male the violence is much more measured and for me more impactful. I can roll with most movie genres but I do like something that is well written and and really dig it when the acting is good. Jeff Bridges role is worth the price of admission. The pace might be a bit slow for action buffs but IMO it is pitch perfect for this plot.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I watched Under the Skin last week (Scarlett Johansson). Very strange sci-fi. Scottish accents are almost unintelligible to me...which is part of the plan I think. Warning - lots of nudity.

Also Predestination (Ethan Hawke). If you liked Looper or Primer (time travel sci-fi), then this one is something along those lines.

My wife was out a couple of nights this week - this stuff wouldn't be her cup of tea at all.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I watched Under the Skin last week (Scarlett Johansson). Very strange sci-fi. Scottish accents are almost unintelligible to me...which is part of the plan I think. Warning - lots of nudity.

Also Predestination (Ethan Hawke). If you liked Looper or Primer (time travel sci-fi), then this one is something along those lines.

My wife was out a couple of nights this week - this stuff wouldn't be her cup of tea at all.

meh, primer is overrated as a mind **** movie. Yeah it's really confusing to get the exact timeline correct, but the character interactions are all pretty easy to understand.

My impression was looper was just a dumb action movie with a time travel coat of paint.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Just came back from Star Wars: Rogue One, and I have to say I think it's a much better movie than The Force Awakens. I wasn't bored throughout the entire second act, the action was amazing, and it was brutal as hell (as far as Star Wars goes that is).

Go see it!

I agree. It was great action and had no cheeziness that The Force Awakens had. Even though the story arc was known (if you watched the other 7 movies), it seemed original and fresh to me - unlike TFA which seemed like a rehash of A New Hope.

Anyways, am I the only one that thought the guy who played Galen looked like Teemu? (Old Teemu, not young Teemu)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Went to see David Fehrety last night , wow was he funny , lots of great stories about his life and about some of todays and yesterdays golfers .

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Frankly, they are on the same level as the glut of superhero movies where there are zero surprises for you as the audience.

Well duh. Most of the original source material has been out there about 50 years, and there's only an amount they can deviate from it. "We went to exciting new direction and made Dr. Doom a teenage web troll" guarantees you a crash and burn.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Went to see David Fehrety last night , wow was he funny , lots of great stories about his life and about some of todays and yesterdays golfers .

Seems like he would be a hilarious guy to hang at the bar for a couple of drinks with. A legit character.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I don't think Warning is the right word there. I would lean toward Bonus. :nod: As compelling to watch as it was, it didn't make a lot of sense to me. Don't want to give away too much about the story but all that "dark area" stuff that went on was just weird for weird's sake IMO.

As for unintelligible dialog, I turn on closed captioning for everything except live events, such as news and sports. Live captioning can really suck. There is the annoying delay, which of course doesn't matter if you're using it because you can't hear, but sometimes the captioning really misses what's being said and the result can be as hilarious as a Google translate.

That's one reason I rarely go to the movie theatre. No CC, no pause button so I can go to the bathroom, no skip back to re-watch something I didn't quite catch. It's really quite a primitive way to watch something, if you ask me.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That's one reason I rarely go to the movie theatre. No CC, no pause button so I can go to the bathroom, no skip back to re-watch something I didn't quite catch. It's really quite a primitive way to watch something, if you ask me.

I tend to agree. The wife and I go to the theatre once or twice a year, and only for things that would benefit from the large theatre experience, or ones that there's a worry of a spoiler getting out and ruining things for us. Otherwise, we plant ourselves in one of the few things I've wasted our house funds on: a 106" screen and projector setup, with a 2000W 7.1 setup with two subwoofers. Much prefer this to ANY theatre, as we can do as you say: pause the movie, go to the washroom, and grab a beer/drink whenever we want.

If we hit the theatres, we only do the VIP experience now: nothing like having martinis served to your seat.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I tend to agree. The wife and I go to the theatre once or twice a year, and only for things that would benefit from the large theatre experience, or ones that there's a worry of a spoiler getting out and ruining things for us. Otherwise, we plant ourselves in one of the few things I've wasted our house funds on: a 106" screen and projector setup, with a 2000W 7.1 setup with two subwoofers. Much prefer this to ANY theatre, as we can do as you say: pause the movie, go to the washroom, and grab a beer/drink whenever we want.

If we hit the theatres, we only do the VIP experience now: nothing like having martinis served to your seat.

After a particularly miserable theatre experience around this time last year, I decided that's the only way I would ever go see a movie again. I would probably pass on the booze though. Comfy chairs and alcohol tend to have a certain effect on me. :laugh:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
So Gin, you don't go to the movies because you've brought the movies to your house? :laugh:

I don't go often. Tickets are expensive and soon I'm ineligible for the student discount.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
This is why I love scene points. Holden and I haven't paid for our last 3 movies. Although I think scene points are strictly Canadian

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Such a lazy day today... other than watch the Jets game, I watched 4 episodes of Black Mirror (it's nuts!) and played Rocket League. I've also got The Last of Us downloading currently so it should be good to go tomorrow.

Looking forward to the movie Silence that's coming out soon. I wasn't a big Andrew Garfield fun, but Hacksaw Ridge completely changed my opinion.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

talking about wanting the "experience":
we're doing a kitchen reno in April and yesterday, the wife suggested that we should get a beer tap hooked up.
keep the kegs in the basement fridge and run a line up to the kitchen sink.

this may be the most unadult adult think i'll ever do.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
After a particularly miserable theatre experience around this time last year, I decided that's the only way I would ever go see a movie again. I would probably pass on the booze though. Comfy chairs and alcohol tend to have a certain effect on me. :laugh:

every problem has a solution.

depends.jpg

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
ban me mods, Star Wars spoilers:
-Vader is Luke's father
-Han shot first
-the prequels suck
-the rebels steal the Death Star plans

:sarcasm:

I really liked Rogue One, even knowing "what would happen"

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
You don't have to answer, but are the "spoilers" in R1 as predictable as the "spoilers" in TFA?

Was anyone actually surprised to see Han Solo die in that one? I would have been more surprised if he lived.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
You don't have to answer, but are the "spoilers" in R1 as predictable as the "spoilers" in TFA?

Was anyone actually surprised to see Han Solo die in that one? I would have been more surprised if he lived.

The ending is about as predictable as it can get considering they wrote the only place they can go with that ending 30+ years ago. But very enjoyable getting there.

I hear you on Han, I figured he would die.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
talking about wanting the "experience":
we're doing a kitchen reno in April and yesterday, the wife suggested that we should get a beer tap hooked up.
keep the kegs in the basement fridge and run a line up to the kitchen sink.

this may be the most unadult adult think i'll ever do.

DIY or having it professionally done? I would recommend the latter.

You will need a glycol line cooler system. Otherwise, the beer sitting in the line between pours will warm up, and come out as a foamy mess. The overhead of lost beer per pour could be significant. For long lines, you need a larger inside diameter for proper line balancing. This is compounded by losing .5 PSI for every foot of elevation. And let's not forget cleaning. The longer the lines, the more fastidious you need to be so the lines don't introduce off flavours or get build-ups that can cause foaming.

Sounds like a cool idea, people have done it but might be more cost and bother than it's worth in the long run (pun intended). :D

Edit: Maybe move this to the beer thread?

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
DIY or having it professionally done? I would recommend the latter.

You will need a glycol line cooler system. Otherwise, the beer sitting in the line between pours will warm up, and come out as a foamy mess. The overhead of lost beer per pour could be significant. For long lines, you need a larger inside diameter for proper line balancing. This is compounded by losing .5 PSI for every foot of elevation. And let's not forget cleaning. The longer the lines, the more fastidious you need to be so the lines don't introduce off flavours or get build-ups that can cause foaming.

Sounds like a cool idea, people have done it but might be more cost and bother than it's worth in the long run (pun intended). :D

yeah, was wondering if i could get away with a kegerator. guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad