TSN: Jets hoping to re-sign Stastny

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I would
Don't want to really get into a Cap discussion. But this is why I also mentioned trading Perrault. Which was mentioned by Lebrun if I recall should not be a problem. In 2 years Mason and Myers will be coming off the books. I am going by memory. But the point I was making. If you want to be creative, and you are tight to the cap, trading Little if one wants to really have Statsny has to be an option. Now if Statsny is not signing. It won't matter with Little.

On that note, since we started talking about the Cap. My priority would be to sign Morrissey, Trouba, and Laine. These are the core guys that are invaluable going fwd.
think Helly is the most important signing to get done

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Would love it, just can’t see it realistically due to cap.
Not saying it will happen but I can see it from both sides. Said this the day he was acquired.

Work has to be done by Winnipeg obviously but I think people are too easily dismissing the possibility. To me it isn't another team out bidding Winnipeg, I believe if they can offer a fair contract Stastny would seriously seriously look at signing it.

Cheveldayoff is very astute, he knows to win a cup a strong 2C is vital to the Jets.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Only if Stastny will sign for 1year.
Come on Mort you know this isn't accurate. General Managers manage, things are fluid and the definitive statements like that are completely wrong, as has been pointed out by different scenarios.

Decisions, players have to make them and so do GM's.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Once Tavares signs (or Re-signs) Stastny is the most attractive UFA center remaining. @ 32 he's looking @ his final contract.
July 1 the GMs will have the additional cap $s to play with so will lose their minds even more than the typical year.
Length of term obviously affects $s so given the teams with a need for top 6 centers (Stastny would be 1C on some) expect $7 x 7 to $8 x 5 as the winning range.

In Winnipeg he was a very nice luxury but the results of good drafting & developing have happened so the piper is coming to be paid.
Chevy does have hard choices to make but tearing out enough players that had the Jets solidly entrenched as a playoff team before Stastny arrived shouldn't be 1 of them.
Keeping Helle, Trouba & Morrissey is top priority with Lowry & Armia close behind (lower cost but you need that dang good depth).
Also on the agenda is pre-planning to re-sign Laine & Wheeler when they become FAs next year.

You don't tear out all your secondary parts (Myers, Perrault, Little, etc.) to add/keep 1 player that is a luxury if you intend to become a champion. Especially 1 that is an aging & depreciating asset even before signing.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not saying it will happen but I can see it from both sides. Said this the day he was acquired.

Work has to be done by Winnipeg obviously but I think people are too easily dismissing the possibility. To me it isn't another team out bidding Winnipeg, I believe if they can offer a fair contract Stastny would seriously seriously look at signing it.

Cheveldayoff is very astute, he knows to win a cup a strong 2C is vital to the Jets.

Not disagreeing, but there are multi pretty significant moves required before it could become a reality. I just don’t think it’s realistic or likely......I hope I’m wrong though.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's from Quebec
Habs can give him a lot of money
He is guarenteed a top 6 role
Was born in Quebec but left around 8? He grew up in St Louis and identifies as American has played for USA never Canada in tournaments. Habs have money and top 6 spot but he can go plenty of places for that. Unless Habs go crazy (dollars) he's not signing there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Myers, Perreault, Enstrom gone, assuming Trouba's not getting 8 million. Again, depends on the RFA's and there's no point going into it because we're not going to agree on what they'll get.

Go ahead and give them all less than I would. There still isn't room because this isn't even close. Enstrom is already gone so you aren't making any room there. Myers is gone after 1 more season anyway, so you aren't making any room for the season following. Moving Perreault's 4.125 mil doesn't open enough cap for Trouba, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Morrissey, much less Stastny. Even with bridge deals to Connor and Morrissey there is no room for Stastny unless you move somebody you don't want to move. There are lesser players needing lesser raises too.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Come on Mort you know this isn't accurate. General Managers manage, things are fluid and the definitive statements like that are completely wrong, as has been pointed out by different scenarios.

Decisions, players have to make them and so do GM's.

Come on kittie. The statement was that trading Myers would get it done. It won't. Not beyond the 1 year that we would otherwise have Myers. Beyond that, someone else needs to be traded. Someone making at least as much as Stastny would get for as long as Stastny would get it.

There really just isn't any room. The GM can make a decision to keep Stastny, but that means moving someone else - someone who was not otherwise moving anyway, which Myers is.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Go ahead and give them all less than I would. There still isn't room because this isn't even close. Enstrom is already gone so you aren't making any room there. Myers is gone after 1 more season anyway, so you aren't making any room for the season following. Moving Perreault's 4.125 mil doesn't open enough cap for Trouba, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Morrissey, much less Stastny. Even with bridge deals to Connor and Morrissey there is no room for Stastny unless you move somebody you don't want to move. There are lesser players needing lesser raises too.

Who's someone you "don't" want to move?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Was born in Quebec but left around 8? He grew up in St Louis and identifies as American has played for USA never Canada in tournaments. Habs have money and top 6 spot but he can go plenty of places for that. Unless Habs go crazy (dollars) he's not signing there.

As you mentioned, Stastny has lived most of his life in the US, particularly in St. Louis and Denver. My understanding is that Stastny's wife was raised in Colorado (Denver) and lived most of her life in Denver. Her parents and siblings are still in the Denver area and her time in St. Louis was the only time she has lived outside of Colorado. Even in St. Louis, it was a short plane trip back to Denver for her.

They return to Denver in the off season and Stastny still trains at the University of Denver in the summer, along with some other NHL players, and many Avalanche players.

I am not trying to suggest that Stastny is going back to the Avs, as I don't know if the Avs are even interested, but I don't see his wife wanting to live in a Canadian city far away from her family, particularly since she would be home a lot with their young child while Paul travels.

Also, I will go out on a limb and say that if Paul failed to give Colorado and St. Louis discounts, with his long standing ties to both communities, he won't be willing to give Winnipeg a discount either.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
As you mentioned, Stastny has lived most of his life in the US, particularly in St. Louis and Denver. My understanding is that Stastny's wife was raised in Colorado (Denver) and lived most of her life in Denver. Her parents and siblings are still in the Denver area and her time in St. Louis was the only time she has lived outside of Colorado. Even in St. Louis, it was a short plane trip back to Denver for her.

They return to Denver in the off season and Stastny still trains at the University of Denver in the summer, along with some other NHL players, and many Avalanche players.

I am not trying to suggest that Stastny is going back to the Avs, as I don't know if the Avs are even interested, but I don't see his wife wanting to live in a Canadian city far away from her family, particularly since she would be home a lot with their young child while Paul travels.

Also, I will go out on a limb and say that if Paul failed to give Colorado and St. Louis discounts, with his long standing ties to both communities, he won't be willing to give Winnipeg a discount either.
St. Louis is about as close to Denver as Winnipeg is. They both have direct flights that take a little over 2 hours.

Will Stastny be willing to give a discount? When he signed his last deal he could have got 7 years at over $6m somewhere, but he took the less term and a slightly higher AAV to come to St. Louis. It's not a discount, but it was a willingness to leave money on the table to be where he wanted to be. If I had to guess, then I'd think he goes the other way this time; willing to sacrifice AAV to get longer term in the place he wants to be.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
St. Louis is about as close to Denver as Winnipeg is. They both have direct flights that take a little over 2 hours.

Will Stastny be willing to give a discount? When he signed his last deal he could have got 7 years at over $6m somewhere, but he took the less term and a slightly higher AAV to come to St. Louis. It's not a discount, but it was a willingness to leave money on the table to be where he wanted to be. If I had to guess, then I'd think he goes the other way this time; willing to sacrifice AAV to get longer term in the place he wants to be.

You're guessing , but your guess is not what we have witnessed from Stastny in the past, at least from my perspective. His wife would be living and staying in Canada, which is not a preferred destination for many who have lived their lives in the US. I know that we dance around it at times, but I think it is an issue for Winnipeg and perhaps Edmonton at times.

Also, flying from St. Louis to Denver is not the same as flying from Winnipeg to Denver. You are not flying to another country and having to go through the processes and procedures. It takes longer.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I got the feeling that going to Winnipeg was a one-off thing for Stastny and would expect him to sign with a US team. Jets have a lot of contracts expiring in the coming years with big raises needed to keep the players.

Reactions: Goulet17

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I certainly could be wrong and Stastny could sign a new deal with the Jets, none of us know for sure. It would surprise me from what I have witnessed. I think it also would be surprising from the Jets, as I think they should concentrate resources solidifying other areas. Another issue for the Jets, who have tremendous depth at the moment, Stastny almost certainly will require some form of a NMC/NTC in any deal, which means that the Jets would have to protect him for an expansion draft. I think that will be an issue for a lot of teams, but the Jets in particular have some nice young players and it will be difficult for them to not lose someone of value as it stands now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would

think Helly is the most important signing to get done

I think Chevy is going to have to make a decision to let one of their current guys go. But yes, Helly, Laine, Trouba, Morrissey all should be long term core pieces. Wheeler in a year will also be an interesting decision.

This is why I mentioned guys like Little and Perrault as movable pieces. Roslovic is RFA controlled. He is not up for 2 more years. Myers is probably gone. Just too many paid pieces I can see, if Jets want to sign Statsny. And based on the comments posted in the OP. They do.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Come on kittie. The statement was that trading Myers would get it done. It won't. Not beyond the 1 year that we would otherwise have Myers. Beyond that, someone else needs to be traded. Someone making at least as much as Stastny would get for as long as Stastny would get it.

There really just isn't any room. The GM can make a decision to keep Stastny, but that means moving someone else - someone who was not otherwise moving anyway, which Myers is.

Mort why not sign Stastny and trade him next year if we can't solve the CAP issue? That way we has a valuable asset for lets say, Montreal? Seems to me that's a reasonable way to get real value out of the Trade with St. Louis.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
What about signing Stastny to a big 1st year like $10M and then $6.0M then $5.0M for the next X number of years and the deal includes Stastny having some selection as to where he can be dealt to. This gets us his services for next year and we have a value asset to trade if the Cap issue can't work? The Jets are the only ones that can deal with him until July 1. If he really wants to win a cup and a big salary he isn't going to another contender at market rates this July.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad