TSN: Jets hoping to re-sign Stastny

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The first thing I did was look at Capfriendly. Lo and behold my eyes saw he had a NMC for the first two years, the relevant timeframe in terms of fitting in Stastny's contract. He did get a contract with a NMC. It also has a modified NTC, that kicks in years later. I'm sorry this triggers you so much that I correctly pointed out he received a six year extension that contained a NMC. I never said the NMC covered the entirety of the deal.
I don't think you understood what a modified NTC was. Otherwise you would have said so as your 2nd post did when you were corrected. The bottom line is the Jets can indeed move Little when the MNTC takes effect. Something I posted. Now you know if the Jets do sign Statsny they have the option of shedding some cap, via Little. And not as you posted. They would not be able to move Little, otherwise why did you bring it up in the first place?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He'd have to take quite a bit less than in FA, something around a 5.5, maybe 6 AAV for it to work in 2 years. Guess we'll see.

That can't work either. Way more than the cap space the Jets have - even for 1 year. Who are you going to move to make room?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We'd need to move Myers +Mason and then likely Perreault next summer to make it work mid to long term. We have to extend Wheeler, Laine and Connor next summer and it's doubtful the cap makes as big of a jump as it will this off season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Honestly, I could see Paul taking a bit of a discount to stay in WPG. He fit like a glove with that roster and he has made it clear that he really wants to win a cup. Given his career earnings and the fact that he (and his father!) has never won a cup, he is one of the few players that I would genuinely believe if he said that winning was more important than salary.

Lol @ the idea that being born in Quebec will have any bearing on his UFA decision. He grew up in St. Louis and played college and pro hockey in Colorado. His father no longer lives in Quebec, I believe he moved back to Europe. Not sure about his uncles, but I doubt Paul himself has any actual attachment to the area. Frankly, I doubt he even has any memories of living there if he left at 5 years old...

Reactions: Sweech and amethyst

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Jets do sign Stastny, as a NHL fan, I hope they do. He waived the no trade to go to Winnipeg. The numbers will have to be 5.5 - 5.75M per iMO. It has to be lower than Scheifele's contract. From an optics POV. Players have these things in their head, you do not want to disrupt team chemistry.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That can't work either. Way more than the cap space the Jets have - even for 1 year. Who are you going to move to make room?

Myers, Perreault, Enstrom gone, assuming Trouba's not getting 8 million. Again, depends on the RFA's and there's no point going into it because we're not going to agree on what they'll get.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Plz o plz sign him jets. We all know berge will pounce on him when hes the last thing we need.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't think you understood what a modified NTC was. Otherwise you would have said so as your 2nd post did when you were corrected. The bottom line is the Jets can indeed move Little when the MNTC takes effect. Something I posted. Now you know if the Jets do sign Statsny they have the option of shedding some cap, via Little. And not as you posted. They would not be able to move Little, otherwise why did you bring it up in the first place?

I don't know what a modified NTC is? That's your theory? Everyone knows what it is. The media mentions it all the time. It's a very basic concept and I'm a frequent visitor to capfriendly. Also I'm pretty sure even the most casual of Leafs fans are familiar with it after the Kessel trade.

Here's the bottom line. You keep saying the Jets can move Little to make Stastny work, but I remain puzzled how trading Little in two seasons is supposed to fit Stastny in now.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Little has a full NMC for the first two years of his extension that was applied retroactively to the remainder of his existing contract.

He's not moving.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Little has a full NMC for the first two years of his extension that was applied retroactively to the remainder of his existing contract.

He's not moving.

I think we covered that. But when the modified NT kicks in, the Jets can. This is the point. I am not saying the Jets are or are not going to move him. Maybe he outplays his contract and they won't. Maybe the Jets do not sign Statsny. This is the thread. I created it. The Jets would like to have him. But part of understanding this, is in a cap world. You can't keep everyone. So The Jets are not moving Scheifele, they are not moving Ehlers. They will sign Laine, they will try to extend Wheeler and keep one or 2 of their RFA and UFA pending D men. So part of looking at the picture is seeing who will likely be moved if the Jets want Statsny. And Chevy as the article states would like that very much.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I think we covered that. But when the modified NT kicks in, the Jets can. This is the point. I am not saying the Jets are or are not going to move him. Maybe he outplays his contract and they won't. Maybe the Jets do not sign Statsny. This is the thread. I created it. The Jets would like to have him. But part of understanding this, is in a cap world. You can't keep everyone. So The Jets are not moving Scheifele, they are not moving Ehlers. They will sign Laine and keep one or 2 of their RFA and UFA pending D men. So part of looking at the picture is seeing who will likely be moved if the Jets want Statsny. And Chevy as the article states would like that very much.

You mean in two years? The cap crunch will come next year.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You mean in two years? The cap crunch will come next year.
Don't want to really get into a Cap discussion. But this is why I also mentioned trading Perrault. Which was mentioned by Lebrun if I recall should not be a problem. In 2 years Mason and Myers will be coming off the books. I am going by memory. But the point I was making. If you want to be creative, and you are tight to the cap, trading Little if one wants to really have Statsny has to be an option. Now if Statsny is not signing. It won't matter with Little.

On that note, since we started talking about the Cap. My priority would be to sign Morrissey, Trouba, and Laine. These are the core guys that are invaluable going fwd.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know what a modified NTC is? That's your theory? Everyone knows what it is. The media mentions it all the time. It's a very basic concept and I'm a frequent visitor to capfriendly. Also I'm pretty sure even the most casual of Leafs fans are familiar with it after the Kessel trade.

Here's the bottom line. You keep saying the Jets can move Little to make Stastny work, but I remain puzzled how trading Little in two seasons is supposed to fit Stastny in now.
I mentioned trading Perrault in that same post you replied to originally, did you miss this? In 2 years you can visit moving Little if the Jets find that 3 Centers making 5.2-6.1 in salary is not feasible. This is why the modified NTC is worth mentioning. If the Jets want Statsny and he is willing to sign. I also would be surprised if he will sign for less than 5 years, so again this is why Little's movable contract was a valuable consession for the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad