TSN: Jets hoping to re-sign Stastny

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In an interview with Mike Zeisberger at NHL.com Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff discussed Paul Stastny and his desire to try and keep the player.

"We had some great exit meetings with Paul. He's a special person. The way he came in and made an impact on the ice, people saw it. Off the ice, he's a real pro and our players have really benefited from the two or three months he was with us. But we knew going in that the business side of the game is what it is. Obviously, if he turns out to be just a rental, he'll end up being a very important rental in our process along the way. We didn't get a chance to win the Stanley Cup, but I think our players grew a lot. At the same time, if there is a chance to see if it does fit, both sides are going to try to sharpen their pencils as much as they can, understanding that free agency is right around the corner." Cheveldayoff told Zeisberger.

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-jets-hoping-to-keep-stastny-1.1113642

Reactions: RedBar

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pretty generic article. Chevy said those things in his post-season press conference, but emphasized that they would need to "sharpen their pencils".

I don't see how the Jets can fit Stastny under the cap beyond this upcoming season, and I can't imagine Stastny will want a 1-year deal.

The only way I could see him coming back to the Jets is on a deal that is very reasonable in terms of cap hit, front-loaded in salary, and without extensive trade protection. The Jets would need to be able to move Stastny after this year or perhaps next, and for that he'd need to have a salary and cap hit that is easily manageable by other teams.

Reactions: Hunter368

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There will have to be moves to make it happen. I read somewhere Perrault may be movable. The other obvious move would be to move Little out.

I know if there was a choice between Statsny or Little, most would choose Stastny.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
The Jets give him the best chance at winning anything at this point in career, is one of the few teams that would like to add him to their 2C plans as well. Jets should go just a tiny crazy since he fit so well, 2 years 10m total with full NTC. This will show some loyalty from the team and give just enough flexibility to only have to make minor moves.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The thing about Statsny is that he's good... but he's not an elite player in the league anymore. He meshed well with Ehlers and Laine, but in the playoffs both of the kids under-produced (Ehlers didn't even score a goal) and Statsny went pointless in the final four games against Vegas. Plus, he's old.

I'd like to keep him, but it's not "make or break" if the Jets let him go. Wouldn't pay more than 5.5 per season for him.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He's from Quebec
Habs can give him a lot of money
He is guarenteed a top 6 role

Top line guaranteed tbh but he's also 32 and hasn't sniffed the cup yet, he won't even dream of doing so in Montreal...

If Winnipeg can move out Mason with an asset (2nd/3rd I assume) could they fit Stastny under for 2 years @ 6ish?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The thing about Statsny is that he's good... but he's not an elite player in the league anymore. He meshed well with Ehlers and Laine, but in the playoffs both of the kids under-produced (Ehlers didn't even score a goal) and Statsny went pointless in the final four games against Vegas. Plus, he's old.

I'd like to keep him, but it's not "make or break" if the Jets let him go. Wouldn't pay more than 5.5 per season for him.

I read somewhere again, Statsny has made his money in the game. He's not going to sign a dirt cheap contract but a number like 5.5m per is something he may sign. He wants to win. If he gets positive vibes from his time in Winnipeg, he may just do it IMO.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Stastny is a tough one.

He looked great with the Jets, but he's at an age where his game can drop fast, and with the kids getting new contracts it could get extremely challenging, and Wheeler and his next contract situation makes it even tougher to make it work.
To me you need to limit your +30 expensive contracts, and you of course sign Wheeler over Stastny.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I also think the key point stressed here is Chevy wants him, not only on the ice, but for the leadership he would bring to the Jets.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
I read somewhere again, Statsny has made his money in the game. He's not going to sign a dirt cheap contract but a number like 5.5m per is something he may sign. He wants to win. If he gets positive vibes from his time in Winnipeg, he may just do it IMO.

I sincerely hope you are right. I wish him the best of chances. But I'm truly scared of what Bergevin is going to offer him.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There will have to be moves to make it happen. I read somewhere Perrault may be movable. The other obvious move would be to move Little out.

I know if there was a choice between Statsny or Little, most would choose Stastny.

The Jets gave him a 6 year extension with a NMC. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->