TSN: Jets hoping to re-sign Stastny

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If the Jets want to free up salary to me it seems like Little or Perreault might be their best option. That being said it would be a lateral move getting rid of one of them only to resign Stastny

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Poolman received max entry level because he was months from being a free agent. He doesn't have the games played, points or resume to demand more money. Tanev signed as a free agent for 925k and has taken a pay cut every year. Last year he made 700k. I'd expect Poolman to sign for around 800 - 850k 2 years.

Armia is a 4th line winger at most and is a classic case of a guy who will probably want more opportunity elsewhere to play farther up the lineup. He should be moved and that's what good teams do they cycle out the bottom 6 in return for assets.

On a long term deal Morrissey would be in the 4.5 - 5 mil max range in my opinion. I think it's very likely he does a bridge deal similar to Trouba.

If you have Chiarot you don't need Morrow because with Kulikov that's three 3rd pair d men. I'd like to move Chiarot out and sign morrow for half the price but for some reason Pomo loves Chiarot.

Tanev is a regular 4th liner who made 700k last year. If he signs for under a mil on a 2 year deal I'm fine with having him back but good teams don't give 4th line players term and dollar especially with all the bodies that could play there.

Poolman - Do you realize his AAV was 1.775 m with bonuses? He is waiver exempt and arb eligible. QO is 105% of his base salary which was $832,500 = 874,125 so that is the least he will get. I believe the org like him, sees a future for him and will want to keep him happy. So I think they will offer him more. Maybe I was a bit aggressive on him. So give him 1 mil. Save 200k, only about 5.3 mil to go.

Tanev established himself this year. Maurice kept him in the lineup even when there were other players healthy and ready. He even started to score a bit and he had a good playoff. The downward trend in his salary is over. He will get a nice little raise.

Armia ia a 4th line winger at least, not at most. When we are healthy he is on our 3rd line with Copp and Lowry. It is impossible to make any kind of plan or estimate if you assume a bunch of players get traded. Make your plan with them in and then adjust as change happens. If you want to make room for someone like Stastny you can put them into your plan and delete as necessary but you still need 23 players covering all the positions. If Stastny is kept maybe Armia is among the casualties but he is not going to be moved just because he is a bottom 6 player. Once again, I invite you to put together a complete plan with appropriate totals. Maybe, possibly another 1.8 saved. Only 3.5 to go - for the first year.

Morrissey may very well be bridged. That has been the subject of an ongoing discussion here. If you are going to bridge Morrissey to keep Stastny then make that complete plan of yours for 3 years. You will see that it goes all to **** in the 3rd year when Morrissey's bridge expires. But for fun I'll bridge Morrissey. Another 2.3 saved. Only 1.2 to go.

We need 8 D men. I have 2 LHD in the PB. Both can play either side. That's hardly an issue compared to some teams who have 4 or even 5 LHD in their starting 6. If Morrow is out someone else is in. No saving.

You still need to come up with another 1.2 in savings the first year and 3-4 million in the second. It will be around 6-7 needed by the third year.

You are quibbling with me over a couple of $00k here and there and calling it "completely out to lunch". Put together a complete picture. When you delete a man somewhere, add another in somewhere else. Then I'll call your numbers "completely out to lunch" and show you your plan is impossible.

If you want Stastny it will require major surgery. You can have him if you want to, but you will have to pay the price. Then we will get into the debate about how long he is likely to be able to play well enough to make it all worthwhile.

He had a real good bounce with Jets but will that last even another year? Longer? Whoever gets him might get only 1 good year and have to pay for 5. Maybe it is 2 good years. That still leaves probably 3 bad ones. But that is a different debate to the affordability one.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why is there not more talk about buying out/dumping Kulikov (4.33 M)...what am I missing?

Because you are the first to post about that?

I think there might be more discussion of Kulikov if we actually knew what his health projection is.

There is no such thing as 'dumping' him. You have to either buy him out or trade him.

If he is bought out we are dealing with it for 4 years at $1,444,444 per year. We can anticipate being very tight to the cap for those 4 years, especially the last 2. If he plays it out he is done in 2.

If he is bad enough that we would consider buying him out then he can't be traded. Who would want him?

If he is healthy he is a good player in a position where we don't have an as good or better replacement. He is a little overpaid, even for a UFA signing but he is a very useful player.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your evaluation is way off, but the course of action you're suggesting is actually a very logical one.

I cannot help but think of a certain Andrew Shaw, who fetched the Blackhawks DeBrincat and Krys, right before receiving a bloated contract. Armia is not important enough to warrant anything near what his comparables have gotten over the years, which is actually very close to 3m AAV and not under 2. We already got great value out of his bridge deal, but now is the time for him to get paid.

Agree with you on Poolman and Tanev; we need to fill the roster, so if they are down for taking small enough deals, they can return. In Poolman's case, this is more obvious due to very limited playing time, but Tanev actually contributed and might receive a bit more as a result. Morrow belongs to this category as well, and chances are he'll be kept as an insurance in case Niku struggles to adapt to the NHL game.

We. Do. Not. Bridge. Morrissey. Stop. He's getting 5+ on a long-term deal, but that is far from being a problematic contract.

And even still, with some careful penny pinching and making sure that our depth guys aren't getting paid crazy amounts, we still cannot afford Stastny. Enough people have done the math and calculated with different levels of optimism, and the vast majority has ended up with no room for Stastny, unless there is a discount big enough to be considered unrealistic.

Disagree on Morrissey's bridge. It could go either way but it is very tough to get everybody under the cap in the '20 season without bridging him. Might be possible, but very difficult. Squeeze everybody else for nickels and dimes. I don't expect him to suddenly start scoring 50 pts/season which is what it would take for the bridge deal to blow up in our faces.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Jets want to free up salary to me it seems like Little or Perreault might be their best option. That being said it would be a lateral move getting rid of one of them only to resign Stastny

The only reason to keep Stastny that makes any sense, IMO is in order to have both him and Little as our middle 6 C's. Even allowing for Little's off year in '18, they are virtually the same player except that Little is 2 years younger.

Getting rid of Perreault only gets the job done for 1 year, at best. The second year, MP has to be moved anyway, even without Stastny. And for that 1 year we get only the difference between Stastny and Perreault so it is not a huge gain anyway.

Reactions: Maukkis

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Disagree on Morrissey's bridge. It could go either way but it is very tough to get everybody under the cap in the '20 season (19-20?) without bridging him. Might be possible, but very difficult. Squeeze everybody else for nickels and dimes. I don't expect him to suddenly start scoring 50 pts/season which is what it would take for the bridge deal to blow up in our faces.
If you bridge Morrissey, you're giving up some much needed stability. With one exception, every single defenseman of ours falls under one of these categories.

a) old
b) potentially broken down
c) little team control left
d) prospect
e) replacement level

That one exception would be Morrissey, the only defenseman who has proven to be a top pairing option, remains under our control for four more years, has no significant injury history and is young.

Bridging Morrissey is an option, but it should be damn near the last resort.

Reactions: libertarian

Jan 21, 2018
How many legit cup contending teams would Stastny be the undisputed #2C on?

If he's chasing a cup WPG might be the best fit. But I'm guessing he's a family man by now, and let's be real Winnipeg is not an ideal destination. Hope he re-signs with the Jets though.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Because you are the first to post about that?

I think there might be more discussion of Kulikov if we actually knew what his health projection is.

There is no such thing as 'dumping' him. You have to either buy him out or trade him.

If he is bought out we are dealing with it for 4 years at $1,444,444 per year. We can anticipate being very tight to the cap for those 4 years, especially the last 2. If he plays it out he is done in 2.

If he is bad enough that we would consider buying him out then he can't be traded. Who would want him?

If he is healthy he is a good player in a position where we don't have an as good or better replacement. He is a little overpaid, even for a UFA signing but he is a very useful player.
Umm, to me "dumping" a player = trading him...thought that was a pretty standard definition? For example, trade Kulikov + pick to a team with cap space. If Kulikov is as useful as you say when healthy, and only slightly overpaid, then it shouldn't cost too much to dump him.

Winnipeg can afford to miss out on a future pick/asset given their current prospect pool and age of their roster players IMO. Seems like a pretty straight forward way for them to save some significant cap space, that's all I am saying.

I guess if the difference between a healthy Kulikov vs his replacement is not worth the cap space, then I understand holding on to him and saving the pick/asset it would take to dump him tho.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Any Jets fan who has watched this year's team cannot possibly call Lowry easily replaceable with a straight face.
A decent third line C or elite 4th line C is by definition easily replaceable

Not interested in overpaying him and losing a player like Perreault or Myers cause of a good half season

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Not interested in overpaying him and losing a player like Perreault or Myers cause of a good half season
Have fun finding a player who is as good defensively as Lowry. If you somehow manage that, try to get one who also puts up points at a middle six rate. Bonus points if you get that guy for cheaper than what Lowry will be.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
A good 40 games does not define a player. How about the year before when he had 29 points and average defensive impact?

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Poolman - Do you realize his AAV was 1.775 m with bonuses? He is waiver exempt and arb eligible. QO is 105% of his base salary which was $832,500 = 874,125 so that is the least he will get. I believe the org like him, sees a future for him and will want to keep him happy. So I think they will offer him more. Maybe I was a bit aggressive on him. So give him 1 mil. Save 200k, only about 5.3 mil to go.

Tanev established himself this year. Maurice kept him in the lineup even when there were other players healthy and ready. He even started to score a bit and he had a good playoff. The downward trend in his salary is over. He will get a nice little raise.

Armia ia a 4th line winger at least, not at most. When we are healthy he is on our 3rd line with Copp and Lowry. It is impossible to make any kind of plan or estimate if you assume a bunch of players get traded. Make your plan with them in and then adjust as change happens. If you want to make room for someone like Stastny you can put them into your plan and delete as necessary but you still need 23 players covering all the positions. If Stastny is kept maybe Armia is among the casualties but he is not going to be moved just because he is a bottom 6 player. Once again, I invite you to put together a complete plan with appropriate totals. Maybe, possibly another 1.8 saved. Only 3.5 to go - for the first year.

Morrissey may very well be bridged. That has been the subject of an ongoing discussion here. If you are going to bridge Morrissey to keep Stastny then make that complete plan of yours for 3 years. You will see that it goes all to **** in the 3rd year when Morrissey's bridge expires. But for fun I'll bridge Morrissey. Another 2.3 saved. Only 1.2 to go.

We need 8 D men. I have 2 LHD in the PB. Both can play either side. That's hardly an issue compared to some teams who have 4 or even 5 LHD in their starting 6. If Morrow is out someone else is in. No saving.

You still need to come up with another 1.2 in savings the first year and 3-4 million in the second. It will be around 6-7 needed by the third year.

You are quibbling with me over a couple of $00k here and there and calling it "completely out to lunch". Put together a complete picture. When you delete a man somewhere, add another in somewhere else. Then I'll call your numbers "completely out to lunch" and show you your plan is impossible.

If you want Stastny it will require major surgery. You can have him if you want to, but you will have to pay the price. Then we will get into the debate about how long he is likely to be able to play well enough to make it all worthwhile.

He had a real good bounce with Jets but will that last even another year? Longer? Whoever gets him might get only 1 good year and have to pay for 5. Maybe it is 2 good years. That still leaves probably 3 bad ones. But that is a different debate to the affordability one.

I don’t think they need Stastny TBH and at his age any contract with term is dangerous.

Armia doesn’t play ahead of Roslovic next year on the right side. If they try Perreault with Roslo at C and Armia on the wing it could work but Armia has struggled on the third line.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
We. Do. Not. Bridge. Morrissey. Stop. He's getting 5+ on a long-term deal, but that is far from being a problematic contract

I hope so too but there’s a good chance he’s bridged especially if they want Stastny.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lowry >> Perreault

It needs to be said.

It would be easy to provide statistical evidence based on performance last season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you bridge Morrissey, you're giving up some much needed stability. With one exception, every single defenseman of ours falls under one of these categories.

a) old
b) potentially broken down
c) little team control left
d) prospect
e) replacement level

That one exception would be Morrissey, the only defenseman who has proven to be a top pairing option, remains under our control for four more years, has no significant injury history and is young.

Bridging Morrissey is an option, but it should be damn near the last resort.

Don't deny your reasoning but I just don't see a problem with bridging Morrissey. Get 2 years at about 3.2. He is still under team control for 2 more years. You then sign him for 6-8 years at a little premium to compensate for the bridge. By then Kulikov's contract is expired and Buff has only 1 more year to go. The cap has risen for 2 more years and we can afford that premium. The risk is that he starts scoring a lot so costs more. I think that is unlikely but it is a problem I wouldn't mind having.

Reactions: snake schneibler

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Umm, to me "dumping" a player = trading him...thought that was a pretty standard definition? For example, trade Kulikov + pick to a team with cap space. If Kulikov is as useful as you say when healthy, and only slightly overpaid, then it shouldn't cost too much to dump him.

Winnipeg can afford to miss out on a future pick/asset given their current prospect pool and age of their roster players IMO. Seems like a pretty straight forward way for them to save some significant cap space, that's all I am saying.

I guess if the difference between a healthy Kulikov vs his replacement is not worth the cap space, then I understand holding on to him and saving the pick/asset it would take to dump him tho.

Just my opinion but I thought Kulikov should have come cheap after his injury and poor season. He needed to prove himself again. I had picked him out as a potential FA pickup long before he was signed but I expected something like 2.5-3 mil. I was happy with his play. It was as good as I had hoped. But I still think he is overpaid about 1 mil+.

Considering the alternatives we have I am happy to eat the little extra cap space as long as his health will allow him to play like he did for us before he was injured. Maybe by the time his contract expires Niku is a 2nd pair D and Samberg is ready for the 3rd pair. :crossfing

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

Not the third pair d men making over 10 mil or the backup goalie making over 4?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Jets have plenty of cap space. Maybe it’s time to spend to the max like the other big boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad