Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I would love a duo of Grubauer and Helle going into next season. I would also love to see our management do something about the goaltender coach. I have little to no faith in Flaherty's ability to improve our goaltenders.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Because with Helly I believe it's all between the ears right now.....confidence! He has what it takes, he plays a quiet game and moves well for a big guy, so if he could play a tad higher in his crease (again confidence) then he doesn't need to rely on his reflexes (puck tracking is important here), he's not that type of goalie like Pavs that relies on reflexes. You can see the goalie he can be in the games when he's on, plays big (challenges shooter), is square to the shooter, has excellent rebound control, tracks the puck well (and his lateral movement is under rated, its good when he's on). And notice his recovery, it's good too when he's on his game, it's the opposite of Pavs recovery.
I think he could benefit from a goalie coach change as that could help his confidence, him getting beat up high is a fixable thing, to me it looks like maybe Flaherty is trying to make some changes to his game and he is not playing with the confidence he once had. Goalie coach = confidence for goalies.
A guy doesn't post .952, .941, .921, .922, .918 Save Percentages in three different leagues over the last 5 seasons (and his Worlds performance) if he doesn't have the talent. We wanna give up on him? Isn't it more likely that his .905 season isnt the norm here?
This is his rookie year in the NHL (see Price's numbers his rookie season) and he had a lot of pressure put on him and had some ups and downs. Him getting pulled so much killed his confidence. They mishandled him this year by not having a quality backup, they thought Hutch would be that but he wasn't, and this is why I feel his confidence is down right now.
This is all fixable, goaltending is 80% mental and if you second guess yourself, even for a split second, especially in the National Hockey League, players will make you look silly 10 times out of 10.
This guy has what it takes and I think he will get there.
Thanks, and hope you're right!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would love a duo of Grubauer and Helle going into next season. I would also love to see our management do something about the goaltender coach. I have little to no faith in Flaherty's ability to improve our goaltenders.

I have little to no faith in Flaherty's ability not to make our goaltenders worse. :laugh:

Of course there are issues of technique but it is not rocket surgery. A big part of coaching at this level must be pumping up a players confidence. Flaherty's charges seem to lose theirs, except Pav whose confidence always seemed to exceed his ability.

I have no way of knowing what Flaherty is like as a coach. I only know that the results have not been there. It is a results based business. Assistant coaches are a dime a dozen. Why would anybody stick with one who is not succeeding?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Because with Helly I believe it's all between the ears right now.....confidence! He has what it takes, he plays a quiet game and moves well for a big guy, so if he could play a tad higher in his crease (again confidence) then he doesn't need to rely on his reflexes (puck tracking is important here), he's not that type of goalie like Pavs that relies on reflexes. You can see the goalie he can be in the games when he's on, plays big (challenges shooter), is square to the shooter, has excellent rebound control, tracks the puck well (and his lateral movement is under rated, its good when he's on). And notice his recovery, it's good too when he's on his game, it's the opposite of Pavs recovery.
I think he could benefit from a goalie coach change as that could help his confidence, him getting beat up high is a fixable thing, to me it looks like maybe Flaherty is trying to make some changes to his game and he is not playing with the confidence he once had. Goalie coach = confidence for goalies.
A guy doesn't post .952, .941, .921, .922, .918 Save Percentages in three different leagues over the last 5 seasons (and his Worlds performance) if he doesn't have the talent. We wanna give up on him? Isn't it more likely that his .905 season isnt the norm here?
This is his rookie year in the NHL (see Price's numbers his rookie season) and he had a lot of pressure put on him and had some ups and downs. Him getting pulled so much killed his confidence. They mishandled him this year by not having a quality backup, they thought Hutch would be that but he wasn't, and this is why I feel his confidence is down right now.
This is all fixable, goaltending is 80% mental and if you second guess yourself, even for a split second, especially in the National Hockey League, players will make you look silly 10 times out of 10.

Can't argue with any of that. :) I still don't want to give up on Helle. I just think he will be perceived around the league as a flash in the pan.

I've wondered if Helle might have been better in some (not all) of those games he was pulled from if Mau had given him the chance to play through it. A fine line I know and how do you know when to leave him in and when to pull him? But I think his confidence would have been better if he could have recovered in game.

This is something I have to assume PM knew what he was doing. He has a read on the player before the game, between periods, etc. But I still can't help wondering what might have been.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't argue with any of that. :) I still don't want to give up on Helle. I just think he will be perceived around the league as a flash in the pan.

I've wondered if Helle might have been better in some (not all) of those games he was pulled from if Mau had given him the chance to play through it. A fine line I know and how do you know when to leave him in and when to pull him? But I think his confidence would have been better if he could have recovered in game.

This is something I have to assume PM knew what he was doing. He has a read on the player before the game, between periods, etc. But I still can't help wondering what might have been.

I have noticed that the nights helly has been off that he's just really off. He's been inconsistent I'll admit. But as a coach I hate pulling my goalie once a year never mind 4-5 times. It kills confidence. It would be different if you pulled him and had a good backup go in to salvage a win. But hutch would go in and be just as bad. So just leave helly in then.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have noticed that the nights helly has been off that he's just really off. He's been inconsistent I'll admit. But as a coach I hate pulling my goalie once a year never mind 4-5 times. It kills confidence. It would be different if you pulled him and had a good backup go in to salvage a win. But hutch would go in and be just as bad. So just leave helly in then.

Helle was shaky tonight but he managed to hang on. Might actually have helped his confidence in the end.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Nice post.

I really want Chevy to bring in a very good goalie to create competition because it won't hurt Helly. I do think his confidence and swagger was rattled this season and I am expecting a bounce back next year I just don't want to bet the season on it again. Two goalies over .915 is my dream scenario and I don't care how many games each guy plays.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I appreciate the Helly analysis from puck stoppa, as he obviously knows something about goaltending. almost makes me feel optimistic..

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I hope you are right puck stoppa. Though I would feel better to have someone else capable of being a #1 and have Helly need to beat him out to claim the net.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hope you are right puck stoppa. Though I would feel better to have someone else capable of being a #1 and have Helly need to beat him out to claim the net.

That's what I am hoping for. Even with VGK jumping in to claim some there is an unusually good list of prospectively available NHL starters this year. There is no reason why we can't get one.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

That's what I am hoping for. Even with VGK jumping in to claim some there is an unusually good list of prospectively available NHL starters this year. There is no reason why we can't get one.

This is critical. The GM needs to approach the season hoping for Helly to improve but planning for him to fail. In other words bring in a proven NHL talent that can carry the load and provide above average save %.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The team we have in Sept is largely the team we will have the entire season. So if chevy sits on his hands again this summer and does absolutely nothing we will struggle again next year. Hopefully chipman and chevy know this and decide to do something about it finally. If they make a few key changes we could improve a fair bit, but without a complete coaching change I don't see this team being a contender regardless whatever other changes they make. If we see pmo extended that's a big red flag imo.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Nice post.

I really want Chevy to bring in a very good goalie to create competition because it won't hurt Helly. I do think his confidence and swagger was rattled this season and I am expecting a bounce back next year I just don't want to bet the season on it again. Two goalies over .915 is my dream scenario and I don't care how many games each guy plays.

I hear you. I'd even dream higher though. If we have another good goalie we can rely on it will only help Hellebuyck's mental game. We can have two guys over .920 next year if we get the right guy.

I don't care about overpaying in FA or trade for one guy so much if we will help get more out of two goalies. If we solve it without overpaying, we should kick some ass next year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The team we have in Sept is largely the team we will have the entire season. So if chevy sits on his hands again this summer and does absolutely nothing we will struggle again next year. Hopefully chipman and chevy know this and decide to do something about it finally. If they make a few key changes we could improve a fair bit, but without a complete coaching change I don't see this team being a contender regardless whatever other changes they make. If we see pmo extended that's a big red flag imo.

So much this!
Every off-season has had the opportunity there for a great leap forward with a few strategically planned moves. I'm not going to criticize each off-season. Had Chevy made those moves we might have stagnated as first round fodder from then until our core aged out. But each off-season has had opportunities that were not taken.

Every off-season so far I have got my hopes up and every year I have been disappointed. Prior to last year I had the draft to fall back on. Last year was a roller-coaster ride though. Finish too high, then win the lottery. Draft Laine. Then Stanley. That was like a piano landed on my head, no ... more like a kick square in the sac. Honestly, it really shook my faith in Chevy's drafting, which was all the faith I really had in him.

This off-season is different. Never have the needed moves been so clear. Never have we so clearly had the assets. Never before were those moves putting the finishing touches on transitioning to a true contender (not necessarily next year, but soon).

Sign Smith. Sign Bernier. That will be enough by itself. Leave Maurice in place because ... blah .. blah ... youth movement. Get rid of Flaherty and Huddy because there is no reason not to and they simply haven't got the job done.

If Maurice can't win with that roster all doubts will be cast aside. We will know.

We will come through the expansion draft in good shape, even without any clever maneuvring. 4+4+1, take our lumps and move on without Lowry.

Draft a bunch more C's and a goalie in the 5th round. It will be fine. Everything will be fine, if Chevy just gets us a 2LHD and a goalie capable of starting in the NHL.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Wpg car

To Wpg Jacob Slavin
To CAR Nik Ehlers, Nic Petan, 3rd round pick

Hate to lose Ehlers, but WPG has no problem scoring goals but needs help defending.
Both are expansion exempt so the effect there is Nill on either team. It does allow some flexibility for the Jets in terms of the ability to deal Myers and run

Morrisey-Trouba
Slavin-Buff
Enstrom-Postma/Poolman/Nogier/F.A. (whoevers ready)

Moving Myers also then allows the Jets to go 7-3-1 in expansion
Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Armia, ________ (Dano, Copp, take your pick)

Vegas ultimately takes whos left of Copp or Dano.

Only reason I do this deal is because we Have Kyle Connor who might also be able to fill the void of Ehlers and our D would be vastly improved.

Thoughts?

Majikme

Apr 20, 2013
To Wpg Jacob Slavin

Hate to lose Ehlers, but WPG has no problem scoring goals but needs help defending.
Both are expansion exempt so the effect there is Nill on either team. It does allow some flexibility for the Jets in terms of the ability to deal Myers and run

Morrisey-Trouba
Slavin-Buff

Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Armia, ________ (Dano, Copp, take your pick)

Only reason I do this deal is because we Have Kyle Connor who might also be able to fill the void of Ehlers and our D would be vastly improved.

Thoughts?

Haha nope.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Seems like an overpayment. Ehlers for Slavin is probably fair enough considering the Hall/Larsson trade

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To Wpg Jacob Slavin

Morrisey-Trouba
Slavin-Buff

Thoughts?

Love to get Slavin but I wouldn't give up Ehlers for him. Ehlers creates so much space and opportunity he makes the whole team better. He is nowhere near his peak yet. He only just turned 21. This is just his draft plus 3 season. Just too much potential to trade at this time.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I could see the Canes asking for Ehlers. I don't think that's how I would go about adding D though right now.

Keep Myers (if he's healthy), and use other assets to get a D from either Vegas or a team that might lose one to Vegas. If the latter we'd have to also give Vegas something to not lose a Perreault/Lowry/Armia, but in the end we'd still have Ehlers, Myers, as well as a D (albeit not as good as Slavin).

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Ehlers is part of the core and hope he never gets traded. We aren't the Oilers yet so lets not trade like them. Totally understand if thats what Carolina wants and its not completely unreasonable but not something I'd be remotely interested in.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
To Wpg Jacob Slavin

Thoughts?

We don't know what Connor is exactly yet, I would look to use him as a trading piece instead.
We know how good Ehlers is and in my opinion is untouchable. I don't think he's reached his ceiling either.

Same deal but with Connor, Canes might not bite though. Slavin is a stud. Could make the 3rd a second.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While it is likely decent from a value perspective we really don't need a defenseman of his calibre this summer given that we already have Trouba, Buff and Morrissey as our top 3 movie forward. Go out and get a good defensive minded 2nd pairing guy to play with Buff and we are a much better team. It also won't cost bear as much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We don't know what Connor is exactly yet, I would look to use him as a trading piece instead.
We know how good Ehlers is and in my opinion is untouchable. I don't think he's reached his ceiling either.

Same deal but with Connor, Canes might not bite though. Slavin is a stud. Could make the 3rd a second.

Its possible he has - but not likely IMO. In fact I don't think he is even close yet. He could be contending for the Ross in another couple of years. He was 'snake bitten' in front of the net for about the first third of this season. He has since got his sh% up to 12.8 so maybe it has averaged out but it looked to me like he should have about 5 more goals this season - and he is still improving at a pretty sharp pace.

My expectations are pretty high but he hasn't disappointed me so far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad