Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Old thread was at post limit.

Last few posts in the last thread.

I think the majority of posters knew even without the scoring that he was a workhorse even in the bottom 6. The first few games with us I noticed that. Guy had a motor that just never quit which basically explained our identity that entire season. I see a little bit of that play style in Matthias. Though I think Stemp was more effective. Sometimes I imagine if we would have kept both Stemp and Frolik.

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Perro - Little - Laine
Stemp - Lowry - Frolik
Matthias/Dano - Copp - Armia/Dano
Dano

That is a bottom 6 that could give opposing teams nightmares. The top 6 already has that ability. Then you imagine Jack and Kyle knocking on the door next season.

If we kept Frolik and Stempniak over Stafford, we probably wouldn't have stunk hard enough to win Laine.

See and that is the paradox. This might just be the brightest timeline.

darkest-community.jpg

Back up a bit. This is about who wanted to sign him the summer before. There were a few.

So we should tank every year then? If we always lose all of our games we could have the bwst team in the league!:sarcasm: :laugh:

Carry on.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Rumor has it Calgary are interested in trading for Marc-Andre Fleury. This would upset me as I feel the Jets really need him. If Helle was left unprotected in the expansion draft, is it an automatic Vegas would select him? Could Chevy not make a side deal with Vegas not to select Helle?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Rumor has it Calgary are interested in trading for Marc-Andre Fleury. This would upset me as I feel the Jets really need him. If Helle was left unprotected in the expansion draft, is it an automatic Vegas would select him? Could Chevy not make a side deal with Vegas not to select Helle?

Why do the Jets really need Fleury at 5.75? We have our own overpaid and underperforming veteran.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

MAF has a limited no-trade. You have to think Winnipeg is on that list.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Fun fact, hellebuycks career save % is better then MAFs. How about we don't spend assets on a goaltender that isnt better then what we have?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Vegas would be idiotic to not select Hellebuyck. The Jets would have to give up a lot to convince them to leave him alone - probably more than it would take to find a goalie to play with Hellebuyck next season.

Think of it this way - Tampa Bay is looking to deal Bishop and protecting Vaselevskiy. Hellebuyck has out-performed Vasilevskiy by most measures in their respective careers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fun fact, hellebuycks career save % is better then MAFs. How about we don't spend assets on a goaltender that isnt better then what we have?

Bingo. He's also been better than Vasilevskiy, and Yzerman is looking to deal Bishop and hang onto Vasilevskiy.

Hellebuyck still has his flaws, but I think it would be a huge mistake to move on from him. Instead, the Jets should focus on developing him as a #1 goalie, and in the off-season try to pick up a good alternative, recognizing that is a bit of a crapshoot.

The Flames would have a tough time fitting MAF under the cap. They've got other holes to deal with in their line-up, too.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Bingo. He's also been better than Vasilevskiy, and Yzerman is looking to deal Bishop and hang onto Vasilevskiy.

Hellebuyck still has his flaws, but I think it would be a huge mistake to move on from him. Instead, the Jets should focus on developing him as a #1 goalie, and in the off-season try to pick up a good alternative, recognizing that is a bit of a crapshoot.

The Flames would have a tough time fitting MAF under the cap. They've got other holes to deal with in their line-up, too.

Completely agree. Protect Helle pick up a dependable vet without blowing the bank to act as a bridge and safety net

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just reading tsn.ca
http://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-cap-crunch-in-tampa-1.675790
TB may need to shed salary to sign their RFAs, why don't we take coburn for the next two seasons, may get him for a draft pick and B prospect? He wound bolster our d and we can waive Stuart next year. Coburn Myers would be a nice pairing, we'd be expensive on d but it's not long term. If not I'd sign B Smith this summer, I think he's UFA.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It's why I wished they took a flyer on Halak. If it didn't work, you're not expending much to grab him.

Agreed. His contract wasn't horrible and only two years if I recall. He wasn't a great goalie but a solid vet......if he had the right character to act as a mentor to young goalies he would of been nice. I have no idea what his character is like though.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Agreed. His contract wasn't horrible and only two years if I recall. He wasn't a great goalie but a solid vet......if he had the right character to act as a mentor to young goalies he would of been nice. I have no idea what his character is like though.

He also makes 4 million a year right? That's a lot of cash for maybe a good backup buy maybe someone who's on the Moose next year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just reading tsn.ca
http://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-cap-crunch-in-tampa-1.675790
TB may need to shed salary to sign their RFAs, why don't we take coburn for the next two seasons, may get him for a draft pick and B prospect? He wound bolster our d and we can waive Stuart next year. Coburn Myers would be a nice pairing, we'd be expensive on d but it's not long term. If not I'd sign B Smith this summer, I think he's UFA.

I'm not a big Coburn fan, but I could see the Jets liking him... Big and physical.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's why I wished they took a flyer on Halak. If it didn't work, you're not expending much to grab him.

Yup. I can't imagine a world where the Isles wouldn't have done a Pav for Halak swap when he cleared. They win, and the swap of Pav mitigates the risk somewhat for the Jets.

Made way too much sense to me. I truly believe that those who are put in the position of GM, or coach, know more than a bunch of fans, but there are some instances where you just cannot explain the reasoning.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

I wasn't on the go out & get Halak bandwagon but I am getting there. They need an experienced goalie & can you really get a better one than Halak. Lifetime .916 save % - wow. So he's had an off-season & would be making 4.5 for one more year. He'd be mighty motivated to get a new contract.

This one makes so much sense its criminal if they don't make a deal for someone like that. NYI would be highly motivated to move him & we could sure use him for next season.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
How about trading for Craig Anderson this summer. I think sens will extend condon, getting rid of Anderson gives them cash to use if they want to trade for duchene or landeskog. Not sure what he would cost but that's the type of guy we need next year. Would be nice if we could get him for a pick.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
How about trading for Craig Anderson this summer. I think sens will extend condon, getting rid of Anderson gives them cash to use if they want to trade for duchene or landeskog. Not sure what he would cost but that's the type of guy we need next year. Would be nice if we could get him for a pick.

Anderson also has a lifetime .916 save % but he's 4 years older than Halak & who knows if they really want to get rid of him. Halak still seems like a better choice all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad