Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Has anyone noticed that now that they signed Poolman, it seems the media is no longer highlighting the Jets needing to acquire a top 4 D? For weeks on end the general consensus is the Jets needs (a) A 1b goaltender and (b) A top D - preferable on the left side (and to a lesser degree a penalty killer). There was even talk of the Jets trading some of their assets to get another defenceman. Funny how Lawless today made no mention of this at all on his "what the jets need to improve" segmant after months of saying we need a top D.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we signed Poolman and I'm hopeful that he can compliment our 5-6 slot. But I do think we should still try to get another top pairing D if we can. I wonder if the reason Chevy was trying hard to get Poolman signed ASAP is because if Jets do nothing this off season to improve their blueline, he can say " hey remember we got Poolman so we are improved"

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Has anyone noticed that now that they signed Poolman, it seems the media is no longer highlighting the Jets needing to acquire a top 4 D? For weeks on end the general consensus is the Jets needs (a) A 1b goaltender and (b) A top D - preferable on the left side (and to a lesser degree a penalty killer). There was even talk of the Jets trading some of their assets to get another defenceman. Funny how Lawless today made no mention of this at all on his "what the jets need to improve" segmant after months of saying we need a top D.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we signed Poolman and I'm hopeful that he can compliment our 5-6 slot. But I do think we should still try to get another top pairing D if we can. I wonder if the reason Chevy was trying hard to get Poolman signed ASAP is because if Jets do nothing this off season to improve their blueline, he can say " hey remember we got Poolman so we are improved"

Absotively! Lawless has already penciled Poolman into the lineup and Stuart has disappeared (poof!). We still need an upgrade on the left side.

Edit: Assuming Poolman can replace Postma and we can sign a legitimate 2LHD we are free to move Myers or we can stop worrying about Myers' health. The urgency to draft D is reduced, though I would still lean that way. Too bad the draft comes before FA.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Absotively! Lawless has already penciled Poolman into the lineup and Stuart has disappeared (poof!). We still need an upgrade on the left side.

We need more depth no doubt too. But a third pair of poolman and Myers could be the best third pair we've seen on the jets in 6 years. Problem is injuries, we need those to be minimal as we don't have any depth.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We need more depth no doubt too. But a third pair of poolman and Myers could be the best third pair we've seen on the jets in 6 years. Problem is injuries, we need those to be minimal as we don't have any depth.

I would like to see:
Morrissey - Trouba
Smith - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Chiarot/Stu

Poolman as first callup. Don't worry, he will get plenty of NHL games. :laugh: Enstrom's contract will expire at the end of next season and Myers' the end of the next one. Assuming Poolman is doing well then once Myers establishes his ability to play I would look to trade him.

OTOH we could retain both Enstrom and Myers if they are prepared to sign for 3rd pair salaries. That leaves Poolman as #7, playing when someone is injured. He might be ideal in that role, playing either side reliably.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

So much of this comes down to Chevy now. Look at how Chiarelli fixed the net and the blue line in Edmonton. Trouba is a monster piece of the puzzle but Chevy has more than enough assets to wheel and deal and I am expecting he fixes the net at a minimum.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I would like to see:
Morrissey - Trouba
Smith - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Chiarot/Stu

Poolman as first callup. Don't worry, he will get plenty of NHL games. :laugh: Enstrom's contract will expire at the end of next season and Myers' the end of the next one. Assuming Poolman is doing well then once Myers establishes his ability to play I would look to trade him.

OTOH we could retain both Enstrom and Myers if they are prepared to sign for 3rd pair salaries. That leaves Poolman as #7, playing when someone is injured. He might be ideal in that role, playing either side reliably.

I'm fine with picking up smith, I like him. May be tough to sign him tho.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think out of the 3 things the Jets need to do to improve next season, getting a LHD is number 3 on that list.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

What he's more likely to say is, "Again, certainly, we just ensured our defense by signing Mark Stuart again. What's that, Zinger? Again? What? Oh, yeah, that was three years ago, obviously, again. Certainly, we'll just put a ditto mark on this year and call it job well done, again, obviously."

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm fine with picking up smith, I like him. May be tough to sign him tho.

I wouldn't have a problem giving him 4 years. The AAV to be determined by the market. Up to 4 mil would be acceptable. I would prefer less of course but that may not be possible. I would hesitate to exceed that. The Perreault contract might be the benchmark though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think "extend Trouba" is offseason priority #2, but that doesn't jive with Joe's "improve next year" wording.

Different list. :laugh:

Maybe that should be job #1, at least in the big licture but Trouba is signed for next year. So for next year goaltending has to be at the top, even over coaching.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Coaching is #1 - don't care if its one or all, but need some serious upgrades

I think if we get good goaltending we make the playoffs next year even with Pmo. I think the coach deserves competent netminding for at least one season before he gets fired. He has his faults PMo does but brining in 10-11 rookies the last two year and him being patient with them assures him at least next season. If things go south early I could see him getting canned as for me the youth movement is over next year.

Hellybuyck .917
Grubauer lite .918

And we are in the playoffs.

As for ST, load up PP1. And put JMo, Myers, Toby and Trouba out there to kill over Stu and Chiarot and that should help the PK alone, that and not having Thor killing either. But the PK is only as good as the tendy.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Nogier? He did almost as well fighting as Thor does. I mean, he lost which is what Thor would have done. :laugh:

That may be true but I suspect Nogier will be firmly entrenched in the Moose lineup next year. Also aren't almost all true facepunchers forwards? Mising a 4th liner for 5 minutes has less impact on a team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That may be true but I suspect Nogier will be firmly entrenched in the Moose lineup next year. Also aren't almost all true facepunchers forwards? Mising a 4th liner for 5 minutes has less impact on a team.

Ya, just kidding.

I think in future everyone does a little fighting. Stand up for yourself. Stand up for your mates when you are on the ice when the need arises. Designated fighters are disappearing and no loss. Mostly they only have meaningless fights with each other.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Are there any rumors out there about where Darren Raddysh might sign? Couldn't hurt the depth of D prospects to pick up a guy like that I would think.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
Are there any rumors out there about where Darren Raddysh might sign? Couldn't hurt the depth of D prospects to pick up a guy like that I would think.

Vancouver is in on him.
I'd love to have him put he's a right shot and will probably sign with another team which he thinks he has a better chance with.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think if we get good goaltending we make the playoffs next year even with Pmo. I think the coach deserves competent netminding for at least one season before he gets fired. He has his faults PMo does but brining in 10-11 rookies the last two year and him being patient with them assures him at least next season. If things go south early I could see him getting canned as for me the youth movement is over next year.

Hellybuyck .917
Grubauer lite .918

And we are in the playoffs.

As for ST, load up PP1. And put JMo, Myers, Toby and Trouba out there to kill over Stu and Chiarot and that should help the PK alone, that and not having Thor killing either. But the PK is only as good as the tendy.

Agreed that goaltending is the single biggest problem for the Jets. I could live with giving Mo another season to prove himself if we had a true #1 to play 60 games.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
How many picks do we have this year? I'm trying to figure out how to make a draft day trade for a goalie much like what happened last year. Our second plus swapping a lot of late rounders would do it I think.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How many picks do we have this year? I'm trying to figure out how to make a draft day trade for a goalie much like what happened last year. Our second plus swapping a lot of late rounders would do it I think.

We have all 7 rounds of our own picks. We also have Montreal's 7th Rd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad