Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks | 4-2 (Juulsen, Myers) | Wherefore art thou, PP?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Regarding the negative reactions, here's the thing...

Even with the tremendous season they've had, this team still needs to earn trust. People are going to have doubts. I don't know about everyone else but it feels like a lot of the "big games" this season have been disappointments. The early game against Vegas. Boston. Tonight against Winnipeg. They'll get more shots at these teams of course and nobody should be throwing in the towel, but yeah - they have to prove themselves.

My 2 cents.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Watching the Detroit power play in their last 2 games, they always try the cross the crease pass or the across the zone pass with the receiving player skating fast downhill on the other side of the goal.

Their chance creation rate per power play is much higher than the Canucks.

The Canucks try neither plays and generally occupy the same places on the ice even if the players switch positions. They receive the puck when they are standing still and this makes it dead easy to predict and defend against.

It is surprising they haven't figured it out themselves and already made the adjustments.

Reactions: calnuck and B-rock

cc

Feb 28, 2002
A few thoughts

I thought mikheyyev had a decent game. He was involved in some decent scoring chances and he wasn't invisible like he is in some games. He has poor finishing ability but I think he has always been streaky.

I still dont believe he should ever be placed in the top 6 when everyone is healthy though.

I thought EP was ok but he seems farther removed from being a legit sniping scoring threat like he was in the past. I have a suspicion this has something to do with him changing to a more rigid stick and wish he went back to his old whippy stick

In these types of physical games against bigger opponents, it makes Joshua's absence more felt.

Demko is usually good for at least one unbelievable looking save in a game but not this game. He was ok but was clearly the 2nd best goalie playing this game.

Reactions: Szechwan

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Disappointing.... This team is giving me a lot of "just a top reg season team" vibes.

Was hoping when Boston spanked them 4-0, that was a fluke.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Put brock in front of the net, petey in bumper, lindholm in peteys ex spot and miller and huges up top

• Haha
Reactions: Play

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Regarding the negative reactions, here's the thing...

Even with the tremendous season they've had, this team still needs to earn trust. People are going to have doubts. I don't know about everyone else but it feels like a lot of the "big games" this season have been disappointments. The early game against Vegas. Boston. Tonight against Winnipeg. They'll get more shots at these teams of course and nobody should be throwing in the towel, but yeah - they have to prove themselves.

My 2 cents.

The problem is you have unrealistic expectations.

We are 1st in the NHL and our record against top teams is just fine.

We lose a big game against the Jets and we are in 'have to prove themselves' nonsense. They have proved themselves quite well all year. Adjust your expectations. You can't win 'em all. Pretty much every team at the top of the standings has gone through some sort of losing streak this year...except us. Haven't lost 3 in a row since Nov 18th or something? Unbelievably impressive. Yet we must prove ourselves. Makes no f'ing sense.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Nicely cherry picked considering they also beat Toronto, New York and Dallas in their other matchups against them.
I get that, but that's still a lot of big games to go 0 for. All I'm really trying to say here is it's okay to have doubts that clearly aren't just people's imagination.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That lived up to the billing. Looked like two contenders going at it in the playoffs.

Canucks decisively lost the special teams battle and that was pretty much the difference.

Not concerning to me other than they need to figure out the PP. Quinn has become way too "slow" on the PP - overhandling and spinning off too much, which just allows the PKers time to get back in formation. He's gotta move the puck quicker.

That's one way to look at it, and I see others have echoed the same, but I would say special teams becoming the difference is an issue in of itself.

Consider, when the Canucks face bigger, tighter checking teams, they tend to falter offensively. We've seen it now with Vegas and Boston being their 2 worst losses of the season. Even the Blues give them trouble in this regard. It's a pattern which Irfan Gaffar has specifically noted as well.

In a regular season where you're facing varying styles and many opponents, this doesn't become apparent. In the playoffs, it will be centre stage.

A few thoughts on the players:

1. Tocchet is too hands on with the Power Play. That switch between Miller and Boeser was foolish. Keep the players in their optimal positions.

2. The subtle upside to Boeser is that he doesn't hurt the team while he's in a scoring slump. He's putting in the work.

3. Mikheyev has been better, and isn't hurting the team either. Difference is, Boeser already has the scoring equity banked, Mikheyev does not.

4. I liked Myers and Juulsen jumping up to create goals. This is how you beat a team like Winnipeg. The defense must be active.

5. Hoglander's play is a tough one. Either you rein him in, and he stops good forchecking, or you let him go and his penalties go up. Must be smarter.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Best line tonight was clearly Connor Scheifele Vilardi.

Miller needs a better LW than Suter. Too slow to complement him and Boeser when playing against top teams.

Team was too easily boxed out or couldn't get screens on Hallebyuk.

Juulsen took the blame but Garland was coming back and then turned at the wrong time as he stepped up to help create the 2 on 1 when it looked like he had the back coverage.

Refs are continuously wrong and it sucks

PP needs to get it figured out.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Best line tonight was clearly Connor Scheifele Vilardi.

Miller needs a better LW than Suter. Too slow to complement him and Boeser when playing against top teams.

Team was too easily boxed out or couldn't get screens on Hallebyuk.

Juulsen took the blame but Garland was coming back and then turned at the wrong time as he stepped up to help create the 2 on 1 when it looked like he had the back coverage.

Refs are continuously wrong and it sucks

PP needs to get it figured out.

Good observation on Garland.

They have to put Mikheyev with Miller and Boeser. At worst, they continue their scoring drought. Not that much downside. At best, they get Mikheyev scoring again and still keep up their defensive work 5v5.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
one loss and everyone’s upset. That’s the way it should be, right?

Some take it a bit far. I still think Juulsen shouldn’t have gone for the hit but he played a damn good 40 prior to that. Mikheyev I think showed some life, which is more than I can say for EP.

Reactions: Kickassguy

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
That's one way to look at it, and I see others have echoed the same, but I would say special teams becoming the difference is an issue in of itself.

Consider, when the Canucks face bigger, tighter checking teams, they tend to falter offensively. We've seen it now with Vegas and Boston being their 2 worst losses of the season. Even the Blues give them trouble in this regard. It's a pattern which Irfan Gaffar has specifically noted as well.

In a regular season where you're facing varying styles and many opponents, this doesn't become apparent. In the playoffs, it will be centre stage.

A few thoughts on the players:

1. Tocchet is too hands on with the Power Play. That switch between Miller and Boeser was foolish. Keep the players in their optimal positions.

2. The subtle upside to Boeser is that he doesn't hurt the team while he's in a scoring slump. He's putting in the work.

3. Mikheyev has been better, and isn't hurting the team either. Difference is, Boeser already has the scoring equity banked, Mikheyev does not.

4. I liked Myers and Juulsen jumping up to create goals. This is how you beat a team like Winnipeg. The defense must be active.

5. Hoglander's play is a tough one. Either you reign him in, and he stops good forchecking, or you let him go and his penalties go up. Must be smarter.

1. Agreed. So much wrong with the PP, but that’s a weird alteration to make.
2. He’s looked a lot tidier and workman-like since the ASG. Before I might’ve disagreed.
4. Strongly agree, which is why I’d like to add in that position. If it were up to me 3 of 4 of my best players on my team would be Dmen. That’s my philosophy.
5. I don’t think you can bench him.. about a month or so ago someone asked why we didn’t give hog more minutes, that’s why. 2 penalties at bad times 180 feet from our net. I suspect in the playoffs those aren’t calls though.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Disappointing.... This team is giving me a lot of "just a top reg season team" vibes.

Was hoping when Boston spanked them 4-0, that was a fluke.
Name me a top team this year that hasn't had disappointing losses. On paper, we have almost everything we need except that we could use another winger.

Reactions: Play

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
one loss and everyone’s upset. That’s the way it should be, right?

Some take it a bit far. I still think Juulsen shouldn’t have gone for the hit but he played a damn good 40 prior to that. Mikheyev I think showed some life, which is more than I can say for EP.
No this is what a playoff type game is gonna look like for this team. If this is the type of effort your goning to show and your power play sucks,winning first over all is going to be for nothing when your out in the first round.

• Wow
Reactions: David71 and Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Name me a top team this year that hasn't had disappointing losses. On paper, we have almost everything we need except that we could use another winger.
I’ve been saying let’s rush Lekkerimaki for a while now

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the PP was atrious should have been the difference maker tonight but it wasnt. top guns were quiet. need some big bodies in the top 6 to deal with teams like this. reffing was trash both sides. its gonna be like the until the end of the season and into the playoffs. lowry should have gotten the instigator call first hits aman and then drops his gloves against pdg.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011

Not interested in what we have on paper if the results don't show.
I'm expecting Canucks to be a top team that can beat other top teams, not be like other top teams that have disappointing losses. That's how you become a top team and be disappointed during playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad