Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks | 4-2 (Juulsen, Myers) | Wherefore art thou, PP?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Can't win them all. Feel like the team could sure use a nice long homestand to work on cleaning up some things though.
What other team in the league had 6 top players at the All-Star event, then with no break, go on to a 5 games in 8 nights road trip, get one day for travel back to the west coast, then play 2 more intense games at home?

I'm not excusing the play of our top guys, I'm just providing some context. We've played the most games in the league (56), along with Philly & Tampa. They're tired, mentally and physically. And now they have 1 day to travel for another b2b, playing an afternoon game in Minny on Monday, and the Avs on Tuesday.

Actually, I am excusing their play tonight. For 90% of this season, they've been pretty damn good. The Jets are a very good team, too. They were fortunate to play us at our most vulnerable time of the season, and they had to work bloody hard for the win.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Lol who the f*** is Ken Henderson?

They have 80 points. Wow neat that the numbers dip vs better teams. Curious if Ken has progressed beyond intramurals in his sporting career.

Sweaty Neckbeard. .
I stated that Lindholm got a little lucky on his two tip in power play goals in his first game. It didn't go over well here.

The reality is that there is a crap shoot against strong teams in the playoffs.

The Canucks held their own tonight, outshot the Jets 37 - 28. So the power play is a little cold right now, and deflection goals require some luck in any one game.

We are leading the league in points. What the hell more do people want? We won't win every game. They played okay tonight, so they didnt win, big deal.

We have 26 games to go. Hopefully we get 33-35 points out of them. We have a much easier schedule to finish off the year.

I actually am happy that if we lose a game its against the Jets. My 2nd choice of teams to win the cup this year, though I care way more about the Canucks.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Lol who the f*** is Ken Henderson?

They have 80 points. Wow neat that the numbers dip vs better teams. Curious if Ken has progressed beyond intramurals in his sporting career.

Sweaty Neckbeard. .
Mmmmmmmmmmm, uuuuunnngghhhhhh, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Keep hitting me with all dat all dat all dat GOOD GOOD sass baby :heart:

Hot damn!

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I stated that Lindholm got a little lucky on his two tip in power play goals in his first game. It didn't go over well here.

The Canucks held their own tonight, outshot the Jets 37 - 28. So the power play is a little cold right now, and deflection goals require some luck in any one game.

We are leading the league in points. What the hell more do people want? We won't win every game. They played okay tonight, so they didnt win, big deal.

We have 26 games to go. Hopefully we get 33-35 points out of them. We have a much easier schedule to finish off the year.

I actually am happy that if we lose a game its against the Jets. My 2nd choice of teams to win the cup this year, though I care way more about the Canucks.
I agree. Bones is a great dude and I can’t stand Edmonton. The West will be a bloodbath this spring.
Mmmmmmmmmmm, uuuuunnngghhhhhh, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Keep hitting me with all dat all dat all dat GOOD GOOD sass baby :heart:

Hot damn!
Great response. Will read again.,

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I mean yeah, some skepticism is warranted.

My man really picked through a bunch of games we lost. I have no idea what he was trying to prove, but he didn’t.

“This just in, when teams lose their stats aren’t good.”

I could walk into any kindergarten class and have the kids figure that out in 2 minutes.

—-
What’s next? The 86 Oilers didn’t win because every time they lost they didn’t score enough?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

I agree - alot of overreaction after this loss.

Canucks outplayed the Jets 5 on 5. But we lost the special teams battle and Hellebyuck outdueled Demko.

If anything, the Canucks probably got too carried away with going after the big hit in the 3rd and a few costly mistakes end up in the back of our net.

Not too worried about this loss - a lot less concerning than the losses to Boston or Vegas

Fixing the PP has to be Tocchet’s top priority

Reactions: calnuck

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

There is clearly a culture growing here, love his response, but he shouldn’t be so hard on himself, he made a couple of mistakes, he played well

Juulsen has well earned a "gimme" game. He made some errors that cost us but that's part of the developing process. I wouldn't put the loss on him but on the absolutely anemic powerplay. We had four opportunities to close the game and barely even registered a shot on three of them.

We also definitely need top six or even top nine winger. Miller looks like Pettersson earlier trying to make his line work but struggling. Not that he hasn't been inconsistent himself.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I think the wailing should be dialed down a bit here. No team goes 82-0. Every team loses games, yes, even that team you think is so much better than the Canucks and would totally kick our ass in the playoffs. Even them. Sometimes they lose too.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think the wailing should be dialed down a bit here. No team goes 82-0. Every team loses games, yes, even that team you think is so much better than the Canucks and would totally kick our ass in the playoffs. Even them. Sometimes they lose too.

Yep. Winnipeg themselves just broke a five game losing streak last week. There's definite problems worth criticising but it's far from a bad loss.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Juulsen has well earned a "gimme" game. He made some errors that cost us but that's part of the developing process. I wouldn't put the loss on him but on the absolutely anemic powerplay. We had four opportunities to close the game and barely even registered a shot on three of them.

We also definitely need top six or even top nine winger. Miller looks like Pettersson earlier trying to make his line work but struggling. Not that he hasn't been inconsistent himself.

Give Bains a shot?

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Chiming in late here because east coast hours caused me to crash immediately after the game, but a few random thoughts I still remember:

• I know this is easy to lose sight of in light of the overall result, but in my eyes, that game honestly said more positive things about this team than negative ones.
  • Between the simmering emotions, the stylistic tete-a-tete, and the L based on a pair of uncharacteristic breakdowns, that felt like Game 1 of a playoff series.
  • VAN played a tight, physical, playoff-style game for two full periods, going toe-to-toe with a (dare we say fellow?) contender and not giving up an inch. Had they managed to play the third the way they did the first two, I'd take that effort every game out.
  • As others have noted, they got caught up in the emotional aspect of the game in the third -- which will also happen in the playoffs, so learning to be aware of this and manage it now in the regular season is a good thing.
  • Juulsen had the right takeaways post-game, despite a rough third.
  • Liked the patience they showed in the first two periods a lot, as well asthe pushback... right up until they let it get the better of them.
  • Reffing was atrocious, but we all know there will be more games like this than not in the playoffs so again, may as well start dealing with it early.
  • Not seeing this game as an indictment of personnel like some. Yes, the PP needs to improve and it would've been nice to see the top 6 contribute, but those things will occasionally ebb and flow.
  • Hellebuyck is fantastic. Outplayed Demmer today. It happens.
  • The Winnipeg Jets are Very Good and are going to be a problem for everyone this year.

Binder

Nov 7, 2011
hellebuyck is the best goaltender in the world still
he was the difference last night

most goalies would have broken on that last canuck PP in the 3rd and it would be 3-2 canucks lead at that point and a totally different game

went to nhl.com to see that they didnt even give him 3rd star last night, that was a loss for the jets if they get even above average goaltending

if you could guarantee that hellebuyck wasn't going to play i would take this soft jets team all series long in the 1st round

also, these are the games where we really miss soucy and joshua

Reactions: ChilliBilly

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Canucks need to be bigger at forward.
Tocchet needs to create a shut down defence pairing, AGAIN.

Juulsen was hot and cold, but cold at the wrong time. He hits like a truck but sometimes gets carried away with it and puts his team mates out of position trying to cover up.

Soucy should be an upgrade.

So Winnipeg have said that game was FUN.

At times some of the Canuck players look like they are playing "restrained" hockey. Cookie cutter type hockey. Predictable type hockey.

The Peg had the "dump and pray" figured out with a dman getting the jump on getting back most times before it was even dumped in.

When watching Lindholm I wonder why they traded for him at all. He played much differently in Calgary, now it is like he trying to learn something totally different than he has played in the past. Sooner or later Tocchet will have to unleash the players.

The forwards are just not the type of players Tocchet wants, most of them.

Hey they are in first place in the league. Hughes looks like he might be wearing down a bit.

So I wonder who they play in the first round of the playoffs.

Two more games against the Peg.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
tocchet is pissed

probably could strangle a ref but also not happy with the stars and petey especially i imagine, and sideeyes myers at several pts
Probably and more likely eyeing Juulsen and not Myers unless he was happy with his game. Maybe he was, Myers got PP time which seems to be what Tocchet seems/does to reward good play.

Juulsen was on the ice for all the Winnipeg goals against. The last two he put himself WAY out of position.

Last edited:

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
winnipeg jets bobbleheads.jpg

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Doesn't change that our PP has been straight ass. Need to fix that before April.
Look at the units
1st unit
Petty,Miller,Boeser,Lindholm,Hughes
2nd unit
Blueger, Mikheyev, Suter,Garland,Hronek
Switch it up
Petty,
Lindholm,Hoglander,Hughes Hronek
Miller,Boeser,Blueger, Garland,Myers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad