Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks | 4-2 (Juulsen, Myers) | Wherefore art thou, PP?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Oh god they read a Taj tweet to JT

Taj is trolling at this point.

I'm kinda over Mik at this point. Stone hands and no finish. I honestly don't know what he brings to this team for the money he's making, he seems out of place on every single line.

Bottom six at this point, I don't know what else we can do with him.
Sorta like Kuzmenko, what else can we do with him.

Reactions: B-rock and Jovofan

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Buy out Mik
Trade for a Vatrano and get someone like a Trenin

Team can’t really go into the playoffs with Suter in the top 6 and Joshua being the only one with any muscle up front. Felt like we didnt play that bad but our top 6 feels like they’re all prone to slumping at the exact same time?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That lived up to the billing. Looked like two contenders going at it in the playoffs.

Canucks decisively lost the special teams battle and that was pretty much the difference.

Not concerning to me other than they need to figure out the PP. Quinn has become way too "slow" on the PP - overhandling and spinning off too much, which just allows the PKers time to get back in formation. He's gotta move the puck quicker.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Our powerplay scheme must be terrible. How is it so hard to get Pettersson some open one timer looks? He gets like one every 20 games (which he usually scores or snipes the post) Everyone knew about the Ovi spot and he still scored about 1000 goals from there on open one timers. Hughes just walks the line and then throws it on net or predictably telegraphs a pass to Pettersson, which is super easy to defend by playing someone high on Petey. He also rarely hits Petterssons wheelhouse, most of the clean one-timer looks Pettersson gets come from Miller. It's annoying to watch.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'd be curious to see what Kessel could do with Miller and Boeser. Another good passer setting up Brock might be helpful.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Other than the dire PP I’m not sure why the reaction to this game is so negative.

Thought we were the better 5-on-5 team all night but were sunk by a terrible PP, some bad calls, and our #7 defender getting caught up in the moment and regressing to some bad habits and running out of position for hits. And Hellebuyck was a wall.

Even at that : small margins. We had a flurry just before the 2-2 goal where I don’t know how we didn’t score and then they go up the ice and convert. We score there we probably win and all the narratives here are totally different.

I really liked our pushback tonight and how we raised our physical intensity. They threw a couple marginal hits and then we outhit them badly.

PP woes are pretty easily explained. They overreacted to that little run of SHG against by moving Miller out of the high wall position where he might be the best in the NHL and put Boeser there and both guys look awful in the wrong position. Just f’ing change it back.

Thought that Pettersson and Miller were both good at ES and are getting over-criticized.

Lindholm and Boeser both looked slow.

Mikheyev has looked much better the past few games.

These 3 Winnipeg games down the stretch will probably determine the Vezina and it’s a pretty clear 1-0 to the other guy after tonight.

And the f***ing reffing. Game was totally turned by two blown calls that ended up in PPGA against.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I think Bieksa is trying to land a big extension with HNIC. Blowing smoke up Matthews ass is the latest piece of evidence for this.

Reactions: Red

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I'd be curious to see what Kessel could do with Miller and Boeser. Another good passer setting up Brock might be helpful.
Kessel could start working out now and still not in game shape in 6 months

He is not the answer

Difference in pp’s, Jets played down low and we played on the high perimeter

Reactions: Ghetty Green

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That's probably the best team we've seen this year. Play it tight but have the offense to burn you in transition. Obvious difference was special teams and the Canucks have to do something to shake things up on the PP. Teams simply shut down Pettersson (and rely some on his tendency to over-handle the puck) and there seems little option after that.

Good

Myers - strong in his zone both in covering back on errors up ice and scored a nice goal. Showed good range in the play and brought some physicality.

Lafferty - much better. 4th line had some good shifts pinning Jets back in their zone and I thought Lafferty led the line.

Hoglander - lacked finish but was creating opportunities. Showed up in a playoff type game and was a pain in the butt for Winnipeg. Seems to me he is playing at a faster tempo.

Not Good

Juulsen - forgot who he was in this game. Has been trying to do more and did end up with a goal. But he took himself badly out of position on the two late goals. At times, decent on the PK but even there he was giving up too much space. He moved up in competition in this one and wasn't getting there quick enough against some of the better forewards in the League.

Suter - not good enough to fulfill a top 6 role. He's at best a third line checker. Taken out of the play easily in this game.

Aman - weak with the puck. Things always died on his stick. You need a 4th liner that can provide more toughness on the puck and in the corners. Guy neeeds to get to work in the weight room

Others

Zadorov - fairly solid and important in the physical department. Canucks need him in the line up in games like this.

Hughes - thought he got overplayed. Never bad but not the major factor he can be.

Pettersson - thought he competed hard and did create some chances. Better, yet not perfect, job of maintaining his feet.

Boeser - worked hard defensively but offensively nothing. You watch someone like Connor and you see the way speed makes a difference between a pretty average offensive player and a dynamic one. More and more concinved that the the team needs to move out Boeser in the off season and use the cap money created to look for a better offensive player. Could pick up a some draft choices in the process.

Lindholm - after a solid game last time out, he looked more tonight like a player finding his way on a new team.

Probably best to put this game in the "can't win them all" category. The Canucks have had a brutal schedule and you had to expect that it would catch up to them. Still this was game where you had a test against an upper echelon team and they didn't pass. One difference is the Canucks are trying to create a team on the fly while Winnipeg has been slowly building a team over time. They know how to play together while we're still putting the pieces together.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Bieksa is trying to land a big extension with HNIC. Blowing smoke up Matthews ass is the latest piece of evidence for this.

In fairness, it’s kind of hard not to give Matthews his flowers right now. He’s putting up an unreal goal scoring season.

Feel bad for Juulsen. Goes from living every local kid’s dream, scoring a goal for his hometown team in his own barn, to blaming himself for the loss. Yeah he got caught making the hit, but you lose as a team.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I don't think Demko had a terrible game either, but that weak first goal gave the Jets life when the Canucks were starting to take over the game

Reactions: Szechwan

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah I'm not really concerned about this loss aside from the PP. I liked the pushback but they went too far with it, and I like that Juulsen recognizes his mistakes. Boeser really needs to get going here, although that's partially explained by Miller being pretty quiet lately.

Reffing was really atrocious tonight and it should've been a 2-0 lead heading into the 3rd. Call a penalty a penalty, and don't call the first marginal thing that happens as an even-up call because with that much time left a team is bound to do something that's a more obvious call. Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm starting to think the refs have it out against the team given that we got no "game management" calls with Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad