Why did we build such a tough team to play this way?

Tedd

May 11, 2023
The key is to DRAFT players who are big, fast, tough, and skilled. Seek them out as an organizational philosophy like Boston, Florida, and Vegas do. Trade for them. Size is the prerequisite. Dubas set this franchise back 10 years because of his philosophy of SKILL over everything. He ended up with a bunch of tiny or SOFT skilled prospects who are useless in the playoffs.
The next GM/president needs to emphasize GOALTENDING AND DEFENSEMEN too. Great goaltending is the great equalizer.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Were in a spot where we can't score and can't kill a penalty. So you'll naturally see less risks being taken by the players.

All the little scrums, physical play, engagement have just ended up embarassing guys like Bert and Domi so far.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Anyone know some good players that are PROVEN playoff performers ?

1714312069455.png

slightly unfair, as some players have only played 3 games.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
It is clear that there is no defensive structure on this team anymore. Bring in a hard nosed coach and get rid of Tavares, Nylander, and Marner.

Would be nice if we had Hyman, Andersen, Kadri, Joshua, and Verhaeghe right about now. Seems like he we love to give away character in exchange for Tik Tok skills.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
All I know is that I'm tired of saying "next year".

This team just doesn't work.

Tavares is in a massive decline, Marner can't create any space out there for himself come playoff time, he's just a giveaway machine, Matthews puts effort in but he's not even close to a 70 goal pace in the playoffs, our goaltending is atrocious, Swiss cheese comes to mind, our defense is just slapped together spare parts and our coach has no baring on reality.

I remember when all these stars were drafted and the promise of a bright future. Well closer to decade than not, we have nothing to show for it. Not even a 2nd round win, let alone a conference or Stanley cup final.

I'm tired of talking about it. It doesn't work, has not worked, will NOT work. It's blow up time, even if it hurts for a year or two. We have a couple good pieces, but the identity of the Toronto Maple Leafs must change.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
For the first time in years we entered the season/playoffs with a well rounded tough team. Reaves is the top heavyweight in the league, Edmundson, Benoit, and McCabe provide a lot of snarl on the back end. Bertuzzi/Domi finally gives us some top 6 grit. But what are they doing with it come playoffs??? Reaves lays maybe 1 big hit a game and Domis been taking some dumb penalties but where are the scrums, intimidation, fight challenges?

You see other teams do it all the time. Down 2-0 looking to change momentum so start a big scrum around the goalie and let the tougher guys try to pick fights… why did we build this team just to play the same lame perimeter skilled game we’ve been trying the last 5 years??

We built a D core that is good at defending but transition and offensive play is their kryptonite, and our issue for the last few years has been scoring, not defensive play.

It makes no sense, but here we are.

All the people who wanted a physical team are just yelling about the coaching now because they got what they want and they don't like it.

Anyone know some good players that are PROVEN playoff performers ?

View attachment 861059

slightly unfair, as some players have only played 3 games.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 9.51.45 AM.png

Here are Hyman's great stats with the Leafs.

Reactions: Obo and HamiltonNHL

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We built a D core that is good at defending but transition and offensive play is their kryptonite, and our issue for the last few years has been scoring, not defensive play.

All the people who wanted a physical team are just yelling about the coaching now because they got what they want and they don't like it.
I'm not even sure they're good at defending. They're big, kinda.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

View attachment 861107

So Matthews should make 1/2 of what McDavid makes.

Couldn’t agree more

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm not even sure they're good at defending. They're big, kinda.

I was trying to give them something... they are the big, mean, tough D that people wanted.

We enter the offensive zone and we are playing 3 on 5 and people wonder why our team isn't scoring much.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The key is to DRAFT players who are big, fast, tough, and skilled. Seek them out as an organizational philosophy like Boston, Florida, and Vegas do. Trade for them. Size is the prerequisite. Dubas set this franchise back 10 years because of his philosophy of SKILL over everything. He ended up with a bunch of tiny or SOFT skilled prospects who are useless in the playoffs.
The next GM/president needs to emphasize GOALTENDING AND DEFENSEMEN too. Great goaltending is the great equalizer.
Totally agree.

All I know is that I'm tired of saying "next year".

This team just doesn't work.

Tavares is in a massive decline, Marner can't create any space out there for himself come playoff time, he's just a giveaway machine, Matthews puts effort in but he's not even close to a 70 goal pace in the playoffs, our goaltending is atrocious, Swiss cheese comes to mind, our defense is just slapped together spare parts and our coach has no baring on reality.

I remember when all these stars were drafted and the promise of a bright future. Well closer to decade than not, we have nothing to show for it. Not even a 2nd round win, let alone a conference or Stanley cup final.

I'm tired of talking about it. It doesn't work, has not worked, will NOT work. It's blow up time, even if it hurts for a year or two. We have a couple good pieces, but the identity of the Toronto Maple Leafs must change.
Right on.

Reactions: Tedd

Ports

Dec 7, 2017

View attachment 861107

Coaching is a problem. Just look at their special teams stats in this series. Historically bad. Keefe can’t adjust and good teams have shut down their offense when the series is on the line. count.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Coaching is a problem. Just look at their special teams stats in this series. Historically bad. Keefe can’t adjust and good teams have shut down their offense when the series is on the line. count.

I agree, new special teams coaches, but that is not Keefe.

Keefe can go too, I don't care, but he doesn't run special teams.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I agree, new special teams coaches, but that is not Keefe.

Keefe can go too, I don't care, but he doesn't run special teams.
Probably so. But at the end of the day he’s the coach and can make any changes he wants. If it was my neck on the line I would have gotten pretty involved in making decisions on those special teams. That’s pretty much the difference in the series.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
My thoughts heading into this series was that at the very least we were going to go down fighting and beat the piss out of the Bruins. I had Domi and Reaves pegged to grab a Boston player at some point and start unloading. It was really odd a message wasn't sent at the end of game 3. Everyone just looks dejected and afraid to make a mistake, we've seen this before.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Physicality and toughness has been the only bright spot this year. Only difference is the core have faceplanted much harder than usual. We've only had all three of them in the lineup for two periods and I guess they're all sick and injured.

Doesn't matter so much with Keefe and Sammy anyways, it was always a punchers chance this year and next.

A very dark 5-7 years wasted in Leafland.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Takes like the OP are what frustrate me the most with losing and dealing with fans. Did you only watch one game? Or is your memory only the last thing you saw?

Leafs bullied the Bruins first 3 games.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
I've said it countless times before in the Tavares / Matthews / Marner / Nylander contract threads. It is 100% impossible to build a deep, well-rounded team when none of your core players are willing to leave decent money on the table to spend on better depth pieces. If Matthews, Tavares, Marner, each took 1.5 to 2 million less, there's money that could be spent on another contributor. These kids can't have it both ways.

As for "well-rounded" that ship sailed the moment the Leafs paid another soft, skilled forward $11 mil on the open market in Tavares.

Right now there's a massive hurricane and the Leafs need a GMC to navigate the terrain but only have 4 Porche two-seaters. Spending that money on Tavares when we have Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Kadri was pure cartoonery.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Down 1-0 in the 1st Marchand low bridges Bertuzzi, again all the right guys on the ice and no one cares at all. Not even a scrum.

I have to wonder is the fact our toughness is all mercenaries a factor? All guys we brought in recently and they haven’t had any time to build a brotherhood as a team? It makes no sense to me.

It’s a fair question but I think a huge component of it is our inability to kill a penalty. Nobody wants to be the one guy pulled from a scrum because we cant afford to go a man down

Reactions: Gallagbi

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It was physical early. Lotta battles and big hits. Then Samsonov let in a stinker while Bertuzzi and Marchand were battling and it’s been downhill since. Hard to stay engaged when you keep losing, can’t score, and your opponent is always coming out on top. Team is demoralized right now.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad