Post-Game Talk: Jets beat the Jerks in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
My wife was yelling "WTF? WTF was that?!?!? I can't even...", walked away while yelling "I don't even care if they win!" Went into the bedroom and shut the door sharply.

I want to tell her they won but...

iceage-nothanks.gif

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
I think Patrick Roy started the trend. And may have accomplished that with the Avalanche.

That game was an absolute high blood pressure moment though.

I don't have a lot of comments on the game itself. Thought the Jets were opportunistic. They played a pretty successful low event game for 55 minutes. I don't know if it was prescouting that gave them breakaways but they found seams when they needed to.

About the end of the 3rd I can only say this. You see mistakes, guys like Adam Lowry have a chance to bury a player in beast mode and win a loose puck, he loses the battle, or Dubois with a poor clear, or Pionk giving up the front of the net, putting himself in body position disadvantage, and you start to wonder about fatigue, when Bowness shortens his bench. Maybe it was motivation, and a comfort zone, of just thinking you can go through the motions to win. By the 2nd goal you kind of knew it was coming. All the momentum had shifted. I understand the idea of coaching with a shortened bench, but I don't understand why the coach can't have the confidence in a fresh player like Gustafsson, who just makes good plays on the ice, and wins a lot of defensive battles in defensive zone situations, or a guy like Axelsson-Fjallby who can apply pressure with speed, in an end of game situation. I mean you trust them on the PK, and being a good penalty killer has alot to do with positioning, anticipation and battle level. A pulled goalie is essentially a PKing situation, with an empty net. I'd like to see Bowness give those fresher defensive minded guys some chances to prove they can close out games, for the sake of my heart rate. That's a game where maybe you want Dylan De Melo too at the end.

Congrats to Mikey Eyssimont on his first NHL goal, hope there are more to come.

Congrats to the team for earning an important 2 points in the standings.

Hope they bring a complete 60 minute game to Minnesota on Wednesday.
I agree with this analysis completely. :thumbu:

Eyssimont will be a keeper depth piece. He comes to play every game and has decent hands.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I kind of understand that, but at the same time, if the plan is to disrupt the dump and chase from the opposition, shouldn't you actually have the energy guys out there to gum up the works and break up the defensive zone entries and play?

I'm no coach though, so what do I know?
Yes, you keep doing what has got you there. Relentless pressure that doesn’t allow the other team to ever set up.
And of course, one minute shifts. We don’t want anyone tired out there. I guess, technically, Bowness never said HOW MANY shifts.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I watched the TSN recap and they were certainly singing his praises tonight. I think he has pushed his way into the conversation.
Hey if Helle can win a Vezina playing in little old Winnipeg there is no reason that Joshua can't win a Norris, he will have to continue to play lights out for the rest of the year but make no mistake his play is getting noticed.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The prediction contest thread for the game against the Minnesota Wild is up and running. A friendly shout-out to @SUX2BU who will be making the GDT for that game, thanks! Don't forget to sign up to make your own GDT, there are plenty of matches still available including:

GAME 19: Friday, November 25th, 2022 at Dallas Stars 7:30pm

GAME 20: Sunday, November 27th, 2022 at Chicago Blackhawks 6:00pm

GAME 21: Tuesday, November 29th, 2022 vs. Colorado Avalanche 7:00pm

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Lowry's heir apparent imo. I've followed him for a while on thr Moose and he's been groomed to be the Lowry/Copp type Swiss army knife third line player. Imo he gets to that level just as Lowry fades out of it.
Can't we have both?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can't we have both?

Yes we can have both. I was just getting at I see Gus taking the 3C role at some point in the future. Lowry is an aging player and likely ages out to the 4C at some point.

what I don't get is that we have one of the best pk's this year and both ajf and saku are on it, yet we take those 2 off on a 6on5?
They should have just ran the top nine the last 5 minutes.

Reactions: gojetsgo

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think Patrick Roy started the trend. And may have accomplished that with the Avalanche.

I don't have a lot of comments on the game itself. Thought the Jets were opportunistic. They played a pretty successful low event game for 55 minutes. I don't know if it was prescouting that gave them breakaways but they found seams when they needed to.

About the end of the 3rd I can only say this. You see mistakes, guys like Adam Lowry have a chance to bury a player in beast mode and win a loose puck, he loses the battle, or Dubois with a poor clear, or Pionk giving up the front of the net, putting himself in body position disadvantage, and you start to wonder about fatigue, when Bowness shortens his bench. Maybe it was motivation, and a comfort zone, of just thinking you can go through the motions to win. By the 2nd goal you kind of knew it was coming. All the momentum had shifted. I understand the idea of coaching with a shortened bench, but I don't understand why the coach can't have the confidence in a fresh player like Gustafsson, who just makes good plays on the ice, and wins a lot of defensive battles in defensive zone situations, or a guy like Axelsson-Fjallby who can apply pressure with speed, in an end of game situation. I mean you trust them on the PK, and being a good penalty killer has alot to do with positioning, anticipation and battle level. A pulled goalie is essentially a PKing situation, with an empty net. I'd like to see Bowness give those fresher defensive minded guys some chances to prove they can close out games, for the sake of my heart rate. That's a game where maybe you want Dylan De Melo too at the end.

Good post -
I hope there is not a trend developing here where he feels he needs to overplay the vets in situations that make him a bit nervous - especially for extended periods of time. Your points are spot on IMO - we have players further down the line up that know exactly how to play when there is pressure.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Just back from the old barn. Bit bizarre. But overall a great performance by everyone. Except Lowry, he was gash.

Bones really shortened the bench at the end...I have questions.

I really like that version of a 4th line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And as of now he should be. He is having an absolutely outstanding start to the season.

He does seem to be a bit of a defenseman whisperer. I think JoMo just needed a different set of eyes on him to bring this side out.
Good post -
I hope there is not a trend developing here where he feels he needs to overplay the vets in situations that make him a bit nervous - especially for extended periods of time. Your points are spot on IMO - we have players further down the line up that know exactly how to play when there is pressure.
If he was I hope this makes him re-evaluate. Our first two goals were on the baks of great defensive plays by two rookie forwards. The kids can be trusted out there.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Dubois has really been playing much better than last season. He has turned on the offence now that Scheif has gone cold.

Reactions: GNP

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013

San Hose did in a classic around the time the Jets came back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad