Post-Game Talk: Jets beat the Jerks in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
They look great out there -
Love the 4th line - Gus just keeps getting better and y'all know I've liked Mikey since preseason -
We might finally have some scoring on the 4th - and if you can get your 4th involved, it takes a lot of pressure off your top 6.
Yeah, I know, small sample - but these guys are playing really well and are trending up the last few games.

We played a great game tonight - the last 5 was a lesson if nothing else.
I have always liked David Gustaffson as well, and I think he's very underrated on this team, and he should get more ice time. He's got some good talent.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Bench your penalty killers when essentially u go short handed for 5 minutes?
Really hard to fathom this move. Maybe there was no opportunity to change on the fly with the inability to clear the D zone, but that was questionable coaching.
Hopefully Bones and Arniel can have a little introspection when examining the tape on this one.

The logic of having skilled players out there makes sense. Wheeler has some of the best stats with the EN and if you score you win the game. I agree though that going into the EN rotation with 5 mins left is a bit much,,, with that much time left you just roll lines.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Jets still in second getting closer to that American holiday that i will still not mention
Thanks to you, Sir Bust, for GIving us this message.

bean-comedy.gif

CreativeWebbedAidi-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I like the idea that Bowness has emphasized having the defenseman join the rush, and getting more goals from the back end. This is making a big difference in the Jets game. I like what I see, and I think the Jets will finish very high in the Central Division.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Has anybody ? ever seen 3 empty net goals ? - has to be a bit of luck there. I wonder if this is the first time this has ever happened. The Jets played very good tonight and deserved this win. Would have been a confidence breaker to lose.
I think Patrick Roy started the trend. And may have accomplished that with the Avalanche.

That game was an absolute high blood pressure moment though.

I don't have a lot of comments on the game itself. Thought the Jets were opportunistic. They played a pretty successful low event game for 55 minutes. I don't know if it was prescouting that gave them breakaways but they found seams when they needed to.

About the end of the 3rd I can only say this. You see mistakes, guys like Adam Lowry have a chance to bury a player in beast mode and win a loose puck, he loses the battle, or Dubois with a poor clear, or Pionk giving up the front of the net, putting himself in body position disadvantage, and you start to wonder about fatigue, when Bowness shortens his bench. Maybe it was motivation, and a comfort zone, of just thinking you can go through the motions to win. By the 2nd goal you kind of knew it was coming. All the momentum had shifted. I understand the idea of coaching with a shortened bench, but I don't understand why the coach can't have the confidence in a fresh player like Gustafsson, who just makes good plays on the ice, and wins a lot of defensive battles in defensive zone situations, or a guy like Axelsson-Fjallby who can apply pressure with speed, in an end of game situation. I mean you trust them on the PK, and being a good penalty killer has alot to do with positioning, anticipation and battle level. A pulled goalie is essentially a PKing situation, with an empty net. I'd like to see Bowness give those fresher defensive minded guys some chances to prove they can close out games, for the sake of my heart rate. That's a game where maybe you want Dylan De Melo too at the end.

Congrats to Mikey Eyssimont on his first NHL goal, hope there are more to come.

Congrats to the team for earning an important 2 points in the standings.

Hope they bring a complete 60 minute game to Minnesota on Wednesday.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I picked the wrong period to fall asleep in.
I woke up just as they made it 3-2. Did Perfetti get any time in the last five minutes? I certainly didn’t see him out there even once.
There is a lesson there for all teams. Shoot the puck in the net, get people in from the net and good things will happen. Lesson number two: don’t start coaching like Paul Maurice.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Woot! Saw the game On Demand. Will gladly eat my prediction that Jets will be a bubble team.
Now that the World Cup has begun, I won’t be as active in gdt.
Good luck Canada in your games and don’t blow it late like the USA did today. 😠

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have always liked David Gustaffson as well, and I think he's very underrated on this team, and he should get more ice time. He's got some good talent.

Lowry's heir apparent imo. I've followed him for a while on the Moose and he's been groomed to be the Lowry/Copp type Swiss army knife third line player. Imo he gets to that level just as Lowry fades out of it.

Last edited:

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
I like the idea that Bowness has emphasized having the defenseman join the rush, and getting more goals from the back end. This is making a big difference in the Jets game. I like what I see, and I think the Jets will finish very high in the Central Division.
I wish I could say Bones was casting some magic spell on the team, but really, that's just normal, modern hockey. We could have been playing this way the entirety of Maurice's tenure.

It's frustrating being on the other side of the PoMo era now and knowing that all of that pain really was unnecessary. So much time lost.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Stepped back from posting after the game to allow for a bit of a calm down. My heart doesn't need this shit, so please don't do it again. But, man is JoMo having himself one hell of a season. He will be in the Norris fight and it will be well deserved.
wonder if his play with get any media attention

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Lowry's heir apparent imo. I've followed him for a whole on thr Moose and he's been groomed to be the Lowry/Copp type Swiss army knife third line player. Imo he gets to that level just as Lowry fades out of it.
I think Lowry still has a little bit of time yet. Tonight he struggled though.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I woke up just as they made it 3-2. Did Perfetti get any time in the last five minutes? I certainly didn’t see him out there even once.
There is a lesson there for all teams. Shoot the puck in the net, get people in from the net and good things will happen. Lesson number two: don’t start coaching like Paul Maurice.

Pretty sure they just ran CSG and Dubois Lowry Wheeler for the entire time.

Reactions: voyageur

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He did not, Bones played Scheifele/Gagner/Conner and Lowry/Dubois/Wheeler exclusively.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
The logic of having skilled players out there makes sense. Wheeler has some of the best stats with the EN and if you score you win the game. I agree though that going into the EN rotation with 5 mins left is a bit much,,, with that much time left you just roll lines.
I kind of understand that, but at the same time, if the plan is to disrupt the dump and chase from the opposition, shouldn't you actually have the energy guys out there to gum up the works and break up the defensive zone entries and play?

I'm no coach though, so what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad