Post-Game Talk: Jets beat the Jerks in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wish I could say Bones was casting some magic spell on the team, but really, that's just normal, modern hockey. We could have been playing this way the entirety of Maurice's tenure.

It's frustrating being on the other side of the PoMo era now and knowing that all of that pain really was unnecessary. So much time lost.

They played well under Moe for a while but when they started to stop listening after 2019 it was time to move on. I hope the org learned something from that as we likely have wasted a few years due to sticking with him as a coach.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A really well played game at 5v5 that almost turned into an embarrassment. I don't care about giving Carolina the point. The process was good tonight at evens. 2 of the 3 goals with the man pulled were luck of the draw type of seeing eye floaty shots from the point.

Jets defended really well and gave them almost nothing when the men were even. They kept Carolina under 30 shots, which rarely happens.

Get f***ed Svechnikov you loser clapping your stick against the ice during the Morrissey breakaway hoping to fool him into thinking it was a Jets player behind him and making a bad drop pass. This is not beer league hockey where that kind of move works.
games like last night is why i've been looking at, and imo using CF in accordance with xGF would be beneficial, For the Jets:

CF-CA
30-55
xGF-xGA
1.84-1.74
GF-GA
3-0

so on nearly have the attempts, Jets scored more on quality. Quality per shot far ahead in the Jets favor.

similarly for the entire game at all strengths

CF-CA
43-75
xGF-xGA
2.88-2.55
GF-GA
4-3

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Central is very, very weird this year. To already begin with: Jets are in the top 3, lol. COL and DAL seem to be separating themselves now in terms of points in the standings, but really all the teams that aren't actively tanking are on the same level competitively, IMO.

Was hoping STL losing streak was a sign of things to come, but after losing 8 straight they've won 7 straight, and I don't think it's just SH% and SV%. MIN's bad start to the season was Fleury's usual mishaps to begin a year. And to be frank, I have no idea how NSH is doing it, but they seem to be in the mix yet again.

The question I'm pondering is whether the Jets can and/or should make a move sooner than later to try and separate themselves from the pack, or not. And to me, that's a RH RW, a RD, or another RH centre, and there's not a lot of any of those out there. Only one that really stands out to me is Kevin Labanc in S.J but I have my worries about just how much he's creating versus getting with Meier and Hertl on the top line there.
Am I missing something? We have the same points as Colorado and are two OTL behind Vegas...

Binnington is not a good goalie... Nash is now a top six team not a four line team - that will catch up to them... Minne is propped up by their power play

The fact that we are de facto tied of first in the Central without finding our scoring touch is kind of impressive.

I do agree that we need another forward - maybe our 1st, Stanley and prospect (Chisholm) gets Horvat for 3/4 of a season and first shot at signing him

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I totally get why people are upset/ head scratching at Bowness choices at the end of the game. I would have taken a time out after the second goal and put out perhaps the 4th line or at least have Maenalanen and Fjallby out there.

However, I think that Bowness was trying to help get some of our scorers producing by giving them a shot at the EN. Connor, remember has scored in exactly 3 games this year, and one of those was an EN.

I'm not saying it was the right call, but I'm trying to make heads or tails out of his decision because for the most part, his player usage has been good. He hasn't been afraid to use his 4th line, and he put Samberg and heinola together, something you would never see from Maurice.

I'd like to see Samberg and Heinola split up, simply to get them some more ice time and spread out the risk a bit. The two of them together have a bit of panic in their games under pressure, 54 tends to hand the puck back to the opposition when trying to exit, and Heinola holds onto the puck a bit too long and tries to make cute moves. I would like to see 14 with 5 as they seem to have a vibe. Maybe roll with 44 88 for a bit, 5 and 14, and 54 and 4?

Also, just to close the book on that 5 minutes:
Let's not forget the Hurricanes are a great team with some extremely skilled forwards with good size.​
When you pull the goalie, the strategy every team employs is overload the puck, funnel to the point, get it to the net and see what happens. With 11 skaters on the ice it is very difficult for a goalie to stop those that get through​
Even with this strategy, getting the puck to the net is difficult because there are so many opportunities to either miss the net or have it blocked​
Scoring one of these goals is an accomplishment, but it was a feat of magic to do it 3 times in 5 minutes - it really was luck in hockey displayed at its finest.​
We were missing the extra battle on the wall, and that was a function of player selection plus I think those players simply being tired.​

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think we play a similar style where you want possession deep in the zone. They skate really well and run 4 lines but we just matched them up all game. The Paul Maurice jets would have had Scheif/Wheeler/Connor out for 25 minutes and gassed half way through the game and likely down 2 to 0. I think Bones made a big mistake tonight shortening the bench but they pulled it out and I am hoping he doesn't continue to make that mistake

But god dam the Central is tight already. Just feels like you need to win every game. Be very nice to beat the Wild on Wednesday
I just wonder how well a team can skate with guys like Stastny, Stepan and Staal on it. I didn't even notice Stastny this game in any way, and you have to think he was one of the Jets best players last year. Skej got absolutely torched by Dubois, Gustafsson left the Canes 3rd pair in the dust, Slavin got burned by Morrissey.

Speed is a big part of the Jets identity this year, even the slower guys like Wheeler and Dillon look quicker than last year. Gagner might be the slowest skating Jet, but once you slow down you rely on smarts and he has a lot of them. The Jets have one of the better skating defenses in the NHL now, which is such a substantial change from the big heavy defenses of the past. Samberg continues to impress me with his skating, and how he uses it and body position to be effective defensively.

The one thing about Carolina is they aren't particularly a physical team, there's definitely no goon type player on their team. It's a 4 line team, with some skill down the lineup, and a defense that can make plays.

Get back playing in the Central and you are looking at some amped up physical games. Checks are a little meaner. Wild will be one of those games. If the Jets continue to play like they did for 55 minutes, I like them in a Hellebuyck vs. Gustavsson matchup.

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
I was at the game last night and needed a good sleep to gather my personal thoughts. I bleed Jets like the rest of you and as fan of the game I was very excited to see the Canes play the Jets.

- Like everyone said game was great until 5 minutes left.
- When they pulled the goalie I felt VERY confident that an EN goal would happen.
- The feeling of “what the hell” and “oh man, this isn’t going to end well” after the 2nd Canes goal. I hate that feeling.
- Pure clench feeling after the 3rd Canes goal.

While we did win, luckily I wore my Morrissey jersey to the game so it felt extra sweet for the win. It made me wonder what kind of planning the Jets had in the last 5 minutes. It was piss poor and I swear if this was a playoff game or a game with playoff standing implications. I would of been livid.

All things considered, we got the 2 points and it wasn’t a division rival who got the extra point. Probably a game that needed to happen this way only for the Jets and the coaching staff to learn from it.

Go Jets Go!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
That's a good team, Carolina. Let's not forget that we are down a few good men. Ehlers, DeMelo, Apples, Barron. Any two or three of those names would give us a big boost. Stanley being out is less of a factor imho. I mean hell, we have Sam Gagner on our 1st line FFS. Yeah, ok, he is doing his best at holding down the fort and trying to stay in the play, and sometimes contributes a bit, but you can see that our top line is hamstrung with him instead of Ehlers. I think that our success against really good teams given our rash of significant injuries speaks volumes to the 5 man systems and buy in that Bones brings.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't be too upset about giving up those 3 goals because we got the 2 points. Give Canes some credit.
Mostly, I liked the Jets game. I was a little nervous early on, even though Jets had a big lead in the shot count. Car had a LOT of zone time. But Jets weren't giving them anything and gradually got better through the game too. Until those last 5 minutes. :laugh:

Long list of Jets who played strong games. Perfetti stood out. I think it was probably his best complete game as a Jet. Harkins did a lot in his 6 minutes TOI. I was surprised to see Snerg and Heinola together but they both played well.

PP didn't score but looked dangerous. That's a start. PK great again.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I totally get why people are upset/ head scratching at Bowness choices at the end of the game. I would have taken a time out after the second goal and put out perhaps the 4th line or at least have Maenalanen and Fjallby out there.

However, I think that Bowness was trying to help get some of our scorers producing by giving them a shot at the EN. Connor, remember has scored in exactly 3 games this year, and one of those was an EN.

I'm not saying it was the right call, but I'm trying to make heads or tails out of his decision because for the most part, his player usage has been good. He hasn't been afraid to use his 4th line, and he put Samberg and heinola together, something you would never see from Maurice.

I'd like to see Samberg and Heinola split up, simply to get them some more ice time and spread out the risk a bit. The two of them together have a bit of panic in their games under pressure, 54 tends to hand the puck back to the opposition when trying to exit, and Heinola holds onto the puck a bit too long and tries to make cute moves. I would like to see 14 with 5 as they seem to have a vibe. Maybe roll with 44 88 for a bit, 5 and 14, and 54 and 4?

Also, just to close the book on that 5 minutes:
Let's not forget the Hurricanes are a great team with some extremely skilled forwards with good size.​
When you pull the goalie, the strategy every team employs is overload the puck, funnel to the point, get it to the net and see what happens. With 11 skaters on the ice it is very difficult for a goalie to stop those that get through​
Even with this strategy, getting the puck to the net is difficult because there are so many opportunities to either miss the net or have it blocked​
Scoring one of these goals is an accomplishment, but it was a feat of magic to do it 3 times in 5 minutes - it really was luck in hockey displayed at its finest.​
We were missing the extra battle on the wall, and that was a function of player selection plus I think those players simply being tired.​

I mean if it was to get scorers scoring why wasn't Cole out there who also is a bit snake bit lately?

Also I've noticed him resort to those lines to close out tied games/close periods as well. I think he's just being ultra conservative and feels his vets give him the best shot at that atm. I disagree but last night's game wasn't the first time he switched to that usage scheme. It was just much more blatant due to it being the last 5 minutes instead of the last two to two and a half.

Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No it wasn't.

The Jets played a great game and had a few lucky goals scored against them.

Had they lost, that wouldn't diminish how they played.

Not a disaster.

The Canes broadcast crew were pumping the hell out of the Jets tires, they think the Jets are a good team. Too bad the fans around here dont agree

Fans here don't agree?

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Morrissey has always struck me as a Duncan Keith type of player. This year more so than ever. No longer Keith lite. Maybe just me. I'm no expert on Keith.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
La La La I can't here you La La La

Its not the unmentioned holiday. Purely coincidental.

It is that by 1/4 of the season, teams have pretty well settled into the pecking order. There will obviously be some change, NJD aren't going to win 79 games. Injuries will hurt some teams more than others, etc. But 20 games gives a pretty good picture of how it will end up.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Its not the unmentioned holiday. Purely coincidental.

It is that by 1/4 of the season, teams have pretty well settled into the pecking order. There will obviously be some change, NJD aren't going to win 79 games. Injuries will hurt some teams more than others, etc. But 20 games gives a pretty good picture of how it will end up.
I get it Mort, last year I made the statement that because the Jets were in the playoffs by that holiday which I still won’t mention that we were going to make the playoffs and we all know how that went

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Morrissey has always struck me as a Duncan Keith type of player. This year more so than ever. No longer Keith lite. Maybe just me. I'm no expert on Keith.

There is some Keith in his game but to me he is reminding me more of peak Letang this year stylistically with a bit of Doughty in there. Either way he's been phenomenal and playing like any of those three dmen is a complement.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
At the game last night, really enjoyed everything except the obvious part. That was old school, Maurice Jets failing to clear the zone coupled with no urgency to put the puck towards the empty net. Felt bad for Rittich.

Really, really enjoyed the play of Gus, Harkins and Mikey. Man, I don't think I've seen Harkins play with that much jump ever. He was buzzsawing all over the ice.

Defense pretty much across the board was really enjoyable to watch. Samberg was very quiet in a good way but it still seems he's not playing with much confidence in himself. When that comes and he realizes he's actually a big man he's going to be very solid. I like Norrissey.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I didn't watch the whole game but it seemed to me like ville and snerg struggled a bit.

That said, I don't think it was a reflection of their ability or upside. Young defenseman need to learn how to defend and transition on the fly and the NHL happens a lot faster than the AHL

They'll both be fine but there will be hiccups along the way which is totally understandable and expected. It will be interesting to see how the org handles the balance between allowing them to grow and develop while at the same time not putting them out there in situations where a gaff could cost a good team effort to come up short.

It would almost be easier to integrate them into the line up if we were sucking as bad as many on the board here thought we would be during "chevy's summer of unacceptable inactivity".

Reactions: Stumbledore

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
games like last night is why i've been looking at, and imo using CF in accordance with xGF would be beneficial, For the Jets:

CF-CA
30-55
xGF-xGA
1.84-1.74
GF-GA
3-0

so on nearly have the attempts, Jets scored more on quality. Quality per shot far ahead in the Jets favor.

similarly for the entire game at all strengths

CF-CA
43-75
xGF-xGA
2.88-2.55
GF-GA
4-3
I think if you removed the Jets' breakaways and shots on an empty net from the equation, then the xGF and CF would line up a little better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Patrick Roy started the trend. And may have accomplished that with the Avalanche.

That game was an absolute high blood pressure moment though.

I don't have a lot of comments on the game itself. Thought the Jets were opportunistic. They played a pretty successful low event game for 55 minutes. I don't know if it was prescouting that gave them breakaways but they found seams when they needed to.

About the end of the 3rd I can only say this. You see mistakes, guys like Adam Lowry have a chance to bury a player in beast mode and win a loose puck, he loses the battle, or Dubois with a poor clear, or Pionk giving up the front of the net, putting himself in body position disadvantage, and you start to wonder about fatigue, when Bowness shortens his bench. Maybe it was motivation, and a comfort zone, of just thinking you can go through the motions to win. By the 2nd goal you kind of knew it was coming. All the momentum had shifted. I understand the idea of coaching with a shortened bench, but I don't understand why the coach can't have the confidence in a fresh player like Gustafsson, who just makes good plays on the ice, and wins a lot of defensive battles in defensive zone situations, or a guy like Axelsson-Fjallby who can apply pressure with speed, in an end of game situation. I mean you trust them on the PK, and being a good penalty killer has alot to do with positioning, anticipation and battle level. A pulled goalie is essentially a PKing situation, with an empty net. I'd like to see Bowness give those fresher defensive minded guys some chances to prove they can close out games, for the sake of my heart rate. That's a game where maybe you want Dylan De Melo too at the end.

Congrats to Mikey Eyssimont on his first NHL goal, hope there are more to come.

Congrats to the team for earning an important 2 points in the standings.

Hope they bring a complete 60 minute game to Minnesota on Wednesday.

I would have thought the obvious move would have been to put out PK1, Pk2, PK3 +1 with each. But .......... I guess Bones is the hero if it works, the bum if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad