Post-Game Talk: Jets beat the Jerks in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Sure but highly likely the Jets don't even look at it as an option for a couple of years.

Yeah the third line as been a bit underwhelming in their role.
And I do understand that they're getting tougher assignments. Honestly I think Gustafsson would overtake Lowry in the depth chart if given the chance, Harkins is so close to piecing everything together, and Eyssimont deserves more of a look. Hell I'm not sure Gagner is in my lineup when the team is healthy.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Kind of off-topic here, but is anybody else mildly creeped out by these anonymous messages that pop up here congratulating you on some non-achievement?

I've hit 100 posts and more than 400 likes and so what? I noticed most people here don't have a 4 to 1 ratio so I'm not totally sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. And tons of guys here have posts running into 10K and 20K and more. Do you still get the creepy messages? Is there any way to turn them off? Or does it not bother guys?

EDIT: And, while I'm at it, how do I delete a message after I post it and decide it's totally stupid?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Kind of off-topic here, but is anybody else mildly creeped out by these anonymous messages that pop up here congratulating you on some non-achievement?

I've hit 100 posts and more than 400 likes and so what? I noticed most people here don't have a 4 to 1 ratio so I'm not totally sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. And tons of guys here have posts running into 10K and 20K and more. Do you still get the creepy messages? Is there any way to turn them off? And does it not bother guys?
You can shut those off in your preferences.

On mobile, drop down the hamburger menu on the top left, click your name, then go to "your account", then "preferences".

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Coelacanth of the game

44 Big Josh Morrissey

Josh-Morrissey-Jets-1-scaled.jpg

615d2bde1d63aa8e900ce5a94607487c.jpg

112A1139502A225D24

There's a fishing joke here with Big Buff ? :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And I do understand that they're getting tougher assignments. Honestly I think Gustafsson would overtake Lowry in the depth chart if given the chance, Harkins is so close to piecing everything together, and Eyssimont deserves more of a look. Hell I'm not sure Gagner is in my lineup when the team is healthy.

Yeah there is a bit of a difference between playing sheltered minutes and hard matchup minutes. I'm OK with letting Gus grow for now in his current role and then gradually moving up. I thought against Pittsburgh when caught out against good comp the fourth line had some difficulties which sort of rings things into context for me a bit.

Well Harkins is busting his butt again and playing smarter this time around. He's had a lot of chances though so you have to think this is likely it and so far he's making the most of it. I like Mike's hustle but don't really see much more then fourth line talent but he has the drive to maximize it if given the chance.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'd like to see Samberg and Heinola split up, simply to get them some more ice time and spread out the risk a bit. The two of them together have a bit of panic in their games under pressure, 54 tends to hand the puck back to the opposition when trying to exit, and Heinola holds onto the puck a bit too long and tries to make cute moves. I would like to see 14 with 5 as they seem to have a vibe. Maybe roll with 44 88 for a bit, 5 and 14, and 54 and 4?

I thought I saw Samberg and Schmidt together for a shift, and thought that it was a way to get Dillon and Heinola together to have a more balanced pairing. Samberg and Heinola played a lot together in the AHL, including them swapping sides om breakouts to add another layer to it. I don't know if I would break that up yet.

Reactions: JetsUK and Jet

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Lowry's heir apparent imo. I've followed him for a while on the Moose and he's been groomed to be the Lowry/Copp type Swiss army knife third line player. Imo he gets to that level just as Lowry fades out of it.
You could see it at times. Gus is a really smart player and had some dominant shifts. He’s just going to get better with more ice time I think!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I've hit 100 posts and more than 400 likes and so what? I noticed most people here don't have a 4 to 1 ratio so I'm not totally sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. And tons of guys here have posts running into 10K and 20K and more. Do you still get the creepy messages? Is there any way to turn them off? Or does it not bother guys?

EDIT: And, while I'm at it, how do I delete a message after I post it and decide it's totally stupid?

A number of us were around years before likes even started being handed out so the lack of a 4-1 ratio isn't very surprising. I don't recall getting any notifications like that so I must have turned them off at some point lol...

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yeah there is a bit of a difference between playing sheltered minutes and hard matchup minutes. I'm OK with letting Gus grow for now in his current role and then gradually moving up. I thought against Pittsburgh when caught out against good comp the fourth line had some difficulties which sort of rings things into context for me a bit.

Well Harkins is busting his butt again and playing smarter this time around. He's had a lot of chances though so you have to think this is likely it and so far he's making the most of it. I like Mike's hustle but don't really see much more then fourth line talent but he has the drive to maximize it if given the chance.
Gus played about 5 minutes against Pittsburgh and probably about 2 of those minutes were short-handed so I wouldn't take too much information from that. He's just as smart as Lowry defensively with more offensive upside. He's lacking the same physicality though. Fun note nobody on Pittsburgh played fewer than 10 minutes.

Eyssimont ideally would be a 4th liner but I'd feel comfortable moving him up the lineup in case of injury. He brings everything Fjallby does but with better hands and skill.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I get it Mort, last year I made the statement that because the Jets were in the playoffs by that holiday which I still won’t mention that we were going to make the playoffs and we all know how that went
I think on average, 3 teams that weren't in the playoffs by that holiday go on to make it...so 3 who are in fade and drop out.

This page has a strength-of-schedule for remaining games, and games played so far. NHL Strength of Schedule Rankings

According to them, the Jets have the 3rd easiest strength-of-schedule remaining, and have played the 4th most difficult schedule so far.

The Wild and Blues are both in the Top 10 easiest schedules so far (along with the Golden Knights and Canucks in the Pacific).

The Preds and Blues are in the Top 10 most difficult remaining schedules (at 8th and 10th, they're the only 2 Western Conference teams in the Top 10). The Wild are 13th.

Anyway based on that, the Jets have racked up a lot of points playing one of the toughest schedules. The Wild and Blues have struggled with relatively easy schedules and will have a tougher row to hoe the rest of the way.

Bladerunner62

Mar 16, 2022
Just goes to show you what can happen when you get a clean shot from the point to the net. All 3 were a result of this. No Jet was even close to the point shot on the first 2 goals.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought I saw Samberg and Schmidt together for a shift, and thought that it was a way to get Dillon and Heinola together to have a more balanced pairing. Samberg and Heinola played a lot together in the AHL, including them swapping sides om breakouts to add another layer to it. I don't know if I would break that up yet.
Heinola and Dillon had one shift together - a neutral zone start. Only 50 seconds. Results were good (2-1 CF, 2-0 HDCF) but it's a ridiculously small sample so who knows.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Listening to the Carolina feed it is about changing momentum. Pull the goalie for a minute and hope for a goal, then put them back in for a minute, then pull him again for a minute.

It's like they're giving up - I'd be even more aggressive with it. If I were down two goals and got a Powerplay, I think the play is to pull even at six or seven minutes.

Welcome back Tom are you still calling games? Last time we heard from you and I think you were moving up north?

Yeah, I moved up North to Flin Flon, Then moved out to B.C. for a while, now I'm back in MB, in Steinbach - if you follow the MJHL you should be able to tell that by my profile pic, lol.

Reactions: ps241 and Gm0ney

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I like Gagner, but honestly felt he adding nothing to the first line last night.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I like Gagner, but honestly felt he adding nothing to the first line last night.
Yeah I was clamoring for him to be used on the top line instead of Appleton but he's not as effective as I had hoped. Not that there are a ton of options in the bottom 6 to move up.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
A number of us were around years before likes even started being handed out so the lack of a 4-1 ratio isn't very surprising. I don't recall getting any notifications like that so I must have turned them off at some point lol...

When I logged on after not doing so for a few years, I got a bunch of alerts, lol.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sure but highly likely the Jets don't even look at it as an option for a couple of years.

Yeah the third line as been a bit underwhelming in their role.
Axel-Fabio and Man-Laine'n do a lot of skating but don't accomplish much of anything! The loss of the Apple and the Baron really make that line impotent!

Reactions: surixon

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think on average, 3 teams that weren't in the playoffs by that holiday go on to make it...so 3 who are in fade and drop out.

This page has a strength-of-schedule for remaining games, and games played so far. NHL Strength of Schedule Rankings

According to them, the Jets have the 3rd easiest strength-of-schedule remaining, and have played the 4th most difficult schedule so far.

The Wild and Blues are both in the Top 10 easiest schedules so far (along with the Golden Knights and Canucks in the Pacific).

The Preds and Blues are in the Top 10 most difficult remaining schedules (at 8th and 10th, they're the only 2 Western Conference teams in the Top 10). The Wild are 13th.

Anyway based on that, the Jets have racked up a lot of points playing one of the toughest schedules. The Wild and Blues have struggled with relatively easy schedules and will have a tougher row to hoe the rest of the way.

This is a super useful post, and helps put the Jets' achievements thus far this year into much clearer context. Thanks for doing the spadework.

I've missed way too many games this year, even on catchup, but from my strictly armchair perspective, in the games I've managed to watch this team looks much harder to play against: more balanced, aggressive and with a more compelling mix of skill, speed and size through the forward lines.

Gus's takeaway last night that leads to the breakaway and Essy's goal was a textbook example of how to disrupt, close off and transition a potentially dangerous setup. It's precisely the sort of play that gains what we might call "aggregate advantage," because it makes an attacker now think about that zone entry, about whether to avoid Gus and try to dump or seam it in, etc -- just as we saw for years with Buff, and with a healthy Ehlers driving the zone and backing off D for open lanes. I think that teams who scout the Jets are going to have more trouble game-planning a la Cassidy last year, and are going to end up playing "Jets hockey" more than they'd prefer like. This too, I'd expect, offers an advantage to a confident team who do not concede easily.

There's room for improvement of course, and the loss of Ehlers is significant, and may really shift timelines and acquisition strategies. But it is fantastic to watch a team that plays at speed and with commitment, and is evolving backwards (as it were) to the Pack of Wolves of 2016-18.

And doing it not solely on the creaking backs of grizzled vets or exhausted stars -- PLD, Gus, Perfetti, Axel F, Harkins, Samberg, Heinola, Essy and co all chipped in with some ace efforts, although the last few minutes last night gave me a few nervous flashbacks to 2020-2. Had to blink and check to make sure it was Bowness & Co behind the bench, and not the Toastmaster in Chief and his Big Bucket o' Dentyne. Whoosh.

Also, Essy's goal showed some skill. That is not an easy shot to make, let alone get through -- as I know all too well from my Craft Beer league days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad