Post-Game Talk: Jets Bagel the Hawks 4-0

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I mean a fringe player who knows his role and is happy to collect a paycheck vs. A top prospect that feels stuck in the AHL. A bit different situation.

This situation is reminiscent of Brannstrom in Ottawa who is a similar dmen and drafted in a similar spot in 2017. He didn't finally cracknthe Sens full time until last year and seems to have an elevated PP role and 5 on 5 role thus year. Perhaps that is the time line we are on with Ville.
If capo brings that level every night please order me more 'fringe' players and keep your 'top prospects'

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Mmm. Yes. The Jets shut out the 3rd best team (checks watch) 4th best team in the Central.

Certainly something to hang your hat on.

Now, don't get me wrong - it's great that the Jets are winning games against the teams that they should be beating. But a one game sample size is hardly definitive proof of victory or defeat.

I thought all y'all had the Jets pegged for the shithole of the central. They aren't there.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
No he wasn’t he just wasn’t one of the favourite prospects so what he did was ignored.
I guess we’ll have to disagree. Has nothing to do with him not being one of HFJets favourites, I just thought he wasn’t good at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I guess we’ll have to disagree. Has nothing to do with him not being one of HFJets favourites, I just thought he wasn’t good at all.
I'm not sure what you consider a train wreck but Capo actually led the the Jets in CF% and XGF% in the preseason. If he was one of the anointed Jets favorites we would be gushing about his preseason.

Reactions: Jet and ERYX

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Seeing Harkins out there tonight (a player I've always liked) really emphasized how much better our bottom 6 is this year. Credit Chevy for sneakily improving two lines right under our noses. Several of us expected competence and a bit of offensive flair from Morgan Barron, but I had no idea what to expect from Big Sak (haha), Jonsson-Fjallby (one man forecheck extraordinaire), and Sam Gagner (to a lesser extent). All three have been pleasant surprises. Coupled with a very motivated Lowry our bottom 6 is looking like a strength. It has turned guys like Harkins and Toninato into fill-in players rather than bottom 6 mainstays. I like what I have seen so far.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not sure what you consider a train wreck but Capo actually led the the Jets in CF% and XGF% in the preseason. If he was one of the anointed Jets favorites we would be gushing about his preseason.
I don’t generally follow fancy stats so I don’t know, but what I saw in the preseason was a guy who was constantly out of position and turning over the puck. But that’s not the player that was out there tonight. I hope tonight’s not a one-off because it would be great to bring in another serviceable defenceman for the low, low cost of nothing.

Reactions: hn777

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Agree that Capo looked very comfortable out there and played with confidence within his limitations, And it`s clear the coach thought the same way given that he gave him ice time in the last few minutes. Looking forward to seeing what he might do going forward. BUT the entire D crew looked really good out there this game - probably because the Hawks don`t have much of an aggressive forecheck system that I can see. Let`s see how they handle the Stars next game.... .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks like Bones had him on his radar - I was a bit surprised he was in the lineup but glad he was.
This board is so biased on who they like and who they don't like it gets mind numbing at times. It should almost be mandatory to look up game metrics before posting.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
This is probably only the Jets 3rd home game where there is alot of energy in the building after playing both the Leafs and Habs, and the building seemed to bring some life to the team. A stretch of home games in November could be fun, as the Jets are now 4-1 at home.

Pretty quiet where I was. Took 50 tries to get the wave started with the area behind Hellebuyck refusing to join for over 10 minutes causing the wave to start going in the opposite direction and finally it got going.

Section 209-214 embarrasingly quiet. Hype crew came several times to crickets. Laughably an announcer (think it was the Bobby The Coach) referred to our crowd as the "loudest in the NHL"

Stop fooling yourself Winnipeg you're among the leagues worst. Canned crowd noise carried the event.

Last edited:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Seeing Harkins out there tonight (a player I've always liked) really emphasized how much better our bottom 6 is this year. Credit Chevy for sneakily improving two lines right under our noses. Several of us expected competence and a bit of offensive flair from Morgan Barron, but I had no idea what to expect from Big Sak (haha), Jonsson-Fjallby (one man forecheck extraordinaire), and Sam Gagner (to a lesser extent). All three have been pleasant surprises. Coupled with a very motivated Lowry our bottom 6 is looking like a strength. It has turned guys like Harkins and Toninato into fill-in players rather than bottom 6 mainstays. I like what I have seen so far.
Agree so much. It`s to the point where I am looking forward to seeing the bottom 2 lines out there more and more. They really play well in all 3 zones and work very well together as units. Who knew that Bones biggest challenge was going to be to figure out the 2 top lines:)?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I thought all y'all had the Jets pegged for the shithole of the central. They aren't there.
The Jets were 9-3-3 to start the year last year. We know how that ended. What we pegged the Jets for was to be a bubble team that would be unable to compete with the Stanley Cup contenders of the league. They couldn't be any worse than last year, but they would be closer to last year than they would be to the top of the league. I remain unconvinced that coaching was the only thing the Jets needed.

If the Jets continue to win games, and look like they deserve to win the games, then that's good. That means they're adapting, adjusting, and working. I am a major cynic, though. It'll take more than beating an obviously rebuilding Blackhawks team to convert me.

Reactions: MardyBum and hn777

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Another thing we need to do is get off the inferiority complex. Anytime the national media starts playing attention to the Jets, the team embarrasses themselves with a piss poor effort. I'd rather they not talk about us.

FlamesThrashersJets

Sep 24, 2011
GA
nhl.ru
Image.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad