Post-Game Talk: Jets Bagel the Hawks 4-0

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Great game by the Jets.

Hellebuyck made some key saves.

Then the Hawks took a dumb penalty in their zone and the Jets score.

That Lowry short handed goal supercharged the team.

I prefer red, but, the blue and white looked fine on the ice.

tumblr_inline_pqs9mnq5Gx1qbv7u8_500.jpg

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
A special team win for the Jets, 3 on the PP, 1 on the PK.

Some random thoughts about the win.

This is probably only the Jets 3rd home game where there is alot of energy in the building after playing both the Leafs and Habs, and the building seemed to bring some life to the team. A stretch of home games in November could be fun, as the Jets are now 4-1 at home.

Morrissey is now in the top 5 in scoring for NHL defensemen, maybe the Jets do have a #1 d-man? He looked fantastic this afternoon, and hopefully the PP goal is the monkey off his back. Pionk let a couple of pucks get behind him, one I'm not sure was his fault, but as a pairing what impresses me is how they use their skating for breakouts and move the puck quickly.

Schmidt might not get a jacket, but he was solid. Taking Samberg out you wonder who is going to step up on the PK, and Schmidt was that guy. Well deserved goal too.

Maenalanen maybe read my post about his Corsi? He was great on the checking line, definitely raised his Corsi. Defensively I found myself watching him in some battles, especially one with Kane in front of the net. I can see why this team likes Axelsson Fjallby too, as a tandem those are two complementary wingers.

Adam Lowry broke this game open, his battle level on the PK is fun to watch, and for a big guy he creates separation with some powerful strides.

First games of the year I thought Harkins 1st period was a real struggle, but he improved as the game went on. Capobianco is a good skater like Samberg, maybe a little more offensively talented. Good game for the coach to put him in.

Is Hellebuyck the front runner for the Vezina early in the season? He's making the big save this year, which is inspiring confidence in this team.

Chicago doesn't look that good, for the first time seeing them. Obviously missing your #1 d, a top 6 forward and both your goalies changes your look, but the Jets made the Hawks look 2nd tier, which is great to see, because early in the season the separation is starting for the top 3 in the division. These weaker teams were the nemessis of the Jets last year, so clearly Bowness has got the team competing the right way.

Nice to see another complete game from the Jets, who are looking like legit contenders in the Central.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
A special team win for the Jets, 3 on the PP, 1 on the PK.
Some random thoughts about the win.
This is probably only the Jets 3rd home game where there is alot of energy in the building after playing both the Leafs and Habs, and the building seemed to bring some life to the team. A stretch of home games in November could be fun, as the Jets are now 4-1 at home.
Morrissey is now in the top 5 in scoring for NHL defensemen, maybe the Jets do have a #1 d-man? He looked fantastic this afternoon, and hopefully the PP goal is the monkey off his back. Pionk let a couple of pucks get behind him, one I'm not sure was his fault, but as a pairing what impresses me is how they use their skating for breakouts and move the puck quickly.
Schmidt might not get a jacket, but he was solid. Taking Samberg out you wonder who is going to step up on the PK, and Schmidt was that guy. Well deserved goal too.
Maenalanen maybe read my post about his Corsi? He was great on the checking line, definitely raised his Corsi. Defensively I found myself watching him in some battles, especially one with Kane in front of the net. I can see why this team likes Axelsson Fjallby too, as a tandem those are two complementary wingers.
Adam Lowry broke this game open, his battle level on the PK is fun to watch, and for a big guy he creates separation with some powerful strides.
First games of the year I thought Harkins 1st period was a real struggle, but he improved as the game went on. Capobianco is a good skater like Samberg, maybe a little more offensively talented. Good game for the coach to put him in.
Is Hellebuyck the front runner for the Vezina early in the season? He's making the big save this year, which is inspiring confidence in this team.
Chicago doesn't look that good, for the first time seeing them. Obviously missing your #1 d, a top 6 forward and both your goalies changes your look, but the Jets made the Hawks look 2nd tier, which is great to see, because early in the season the separation is starting for the top 3 in the division. These weaker teams were the nemessis of the Jets last year, so clearly Bowness has got the team competing the right way.
Nice to see another complete game from the Jets, who are looking like legit contenders in the Central.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Just checking in to see how the "chevy suckes because he didn't make some random moves" crowd from this summer is doing

Mmm. Yes. The Jets shut out the 3rd best team (checks watch) 4th best team in the Central.

Certainly something to hang your hat on.

Now, don't get me wrong - it's great that the Jets are winning games against the teams that they should be beating. But a one game sample size is hardly definitive proof of victory or defeat.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You just have to wonder how good this Jets team is, especially if you plug in Ehlers into the lineup. I think this team can compete and maybe win the Conference final if Helle can keep up his stellar performance. I guess we'll find out how good we are when Dallas comes to town on Tuesday. If they win that, I'll be impressed.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Mmm. Yes. The Jets shut out the 3rd best team (checks watch) 4th best team in the Central.

Certainly something to hang your hat on.

Now, don't get me wrong - it's great that the Jets are winning games against the teams that they should be beating. But a one game sample size is hardly definitive proof of victory or defeat.

how about the fact they're 7-3-1? not every game will be a Picasso, and they surely still have things to tighten up (ie: im still wary/not 100% sold on their defensive play. will we see if they can showcase some consistency). but most teams aren't perfect all the way through either. they've played real good in b2b games now probably for the first time this year (regardless of W or L) so hopefully they continue to build off that/ride momentum.

Good game overall aside from the 2nd half of the 1st and a few shifts in the 2nd. 3rd/4th lines great today. Appleton should not be on the top line. The Jets overrate him.

Great game for Morrissey and DeMelo.

agreed on appleton. maybe theyre trying to justify that contract or something? not sure. but i didn't mind the top line with Gagner on it. Agreed on Morrissey's game today.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You just have to wonder how good this Jets team is, especially if you plug in Ehlers into the lineup. I think this team can compete and maybe win the Conference final if Helle can keep up his stellar performance. I guess we'll find out how good we are when Dallas comes to town on Tuesday. If they win that, I'll be impressed.
Agreed, we are looking like we will be very competitive. A top 3 finish in the Central certainly seems like something that is possible at this point. And yeah I really hope Ehlers is back soon. I love watching him play hockey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well that was fun!
I had forgotten we even had Capobianco. :laugh: I thought he played well. What did others think of him?
Do we need to put him in the mix for 3LD?

I just happened to notice a sequence of play with around 7:10 to go in the 2nd. Scheifele was behind our net battling for the puck. 3-4 seconds later he was receiving a pass in the O zone and got a shooting chance. Nothing in particular came of it but it illustrated how playing D leads to playing O. It also spoke to a lot of the criticism of Scheifele last year. He was doing exactly what the C is supposed to do.

Incoming leather jacket for Helle!

How many will that be already this year? 3?

Does he have brothers the same size as he is he can give them too?

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad