Post-Game Talk: Jets Bagel the Hawks 4-0

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
I never get this Bettman theme about him being some kind of Jet‘s hater. He was a key component in getting the team back. Without his help and approval, there would be no Jets 2.0. And as if he cares one little bit how much the Jets are winning 🙄

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I never get this Bettman theme about him being some kind of Jet‘s hater. He was a key component in getting the team back. Without his help and approval, there would be no Jets 2.0. And as if he cares one little bit how much the Jets are winning 🙄
I really don't want to drag all this up, but you're wrong, and I don't necessarily blame Bettman.

He did pretty much nothing to save the Jets in 96. He did that because he had eyes on expanding the team south and growing the fanbase. The Jets were a drain on the league, and a southern market could potentially increase revenues exponentially (never happened in AZ)

The NHL is a league driven by gate and merchandise. Add to that there is a revenue sharing model. When bigger markets win, they draw more fans and sell more merchandise, as well as grow their fanbase as there is more untapped potential in the US.

In Canada, a large portion of the population is already a fan, so there's less growth opportunity.

So, yes, Bettman would much rather see bigger US markets win from a business perspective.

At the end of the day, the NHL is a business with stakeholders, and he's the CEO. His prime objective is growing revenue.

So, I don't think Bettman hates Winnipeg, he's doing his job.

I do think that passionate Jets fans are entitled to hate him though, because of his lack of action with the Jets in 96, compared with the unending support he's given the Coyotes franchise. He can't admit he made a mistake moving the Jets there (should have moved them to Houston). It's hard not to see the Phoenix market as desirable though, due to its size, growth, and the number of Canadians that have homes there

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The level of "much worse than Samberg in the game he played before getting pulled out for Capo"?

That level? :laugh:
I couldn't disagree more. I thought Capo was every bit as poised in his zone as Samberg, but had more offensive instincts and pushes than Snerg.

I've been very happy with Samberg so far so it's not a criticism of his game. Also it's exactly one game so we're going to need to see a lot more of 77 to make an accurate assessment.

Was Samberg healthied? I thought he was still banged up and maybe needed a bit more time to heal.

I don't necessarily see 77 threatening snerg as much a he does Stanley and Heinola.

Capobianco is far more well rounded than those two (again, one game, I realize).

Those Jerseys looked v. good on TV.

Who was Capo paired with?
Demelo and honestly I think that was demelos best game this season, too.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I couldn't disagree more. I thought Capo was every bit as poised in his zone as Samberg, but had more offensive instincts and pushes than Snerg.

I've been very happy with Samberg so far so it's not a criticism of his game. Also it's exactly one game so we're going to need to see a lot more of 77 to make an accurate assessment.

Was Samberg healthied? I thought he was still banged up and maybe needed a bit more time to heal.

I don't necessarily see 77 threatening snerg as much a he does Stanley and Heinola.

Capobianco is far more well rounded than those two (again, one game, I realize).
Small sample size but it would be difficult to have watched him yesterday and not agree with you Jet.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Seeing Harkins out there tonight (a player I've always liked) really emphasized how much better our bottom 6 is this year. Credit Chevy for sneakily improving two lines right under our noses. Several of us expected competence and a bit of offensive flair from Morgan Barron, but I had no idea what to expect from Big Sak (haha), Jonsson-Fjallby (one man forecheck extraordinaire), and Sam Gagner (to a lesser extent). All three have been pleasant surprises. Coupled with a very motivated Lowry our bottom 6 is looking like a strength. It has turned guys like Harkins and Toninato into fill-in players rather than bottom 6 mainstays. I like what I have seen so far.
I said that when Toninato drew in. You can see why neither were picked up. This year I enjoy watching all lines when they are in the ice as opposed to previous seasons where I couldn't wait for especially the fourth line to get off.

Top line is still getting hemmed in their own zone way too much. Too damn cute on the wall and at our blue line.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I liked his confidence with the puck. Some of those Ozone passes were brilliant. His AHL and OHL numbers do seem to suggest that he is an offense oriented Dman. And its not like he's some unkown plug, he was selected 63rd with at least some degree of pedigree.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
The Jets were 9-3-3 to start the year last year. We know how that ended. What we pegged the Jets for was to be a bubble team that would be unable to compete with the Stanley Cup contenders of the league. They couldn't be any worse than last year, but they would be closer to last year than they would be to the top of the league. I remain unconvinced that coaching was the only thing the Jets needed.

If the Jets continue to win games, and look like they deserve to win the games, then that's good. That means they're adapting, adjusting, and working. I am a major cynic, though. It'll take more than beating an obviously rebuilding Blackhawks team to convert me.
IMO better systems and effort this year have exposed our biggest flaw: poor defence corps. Great teams are built from the net out. Our best defenseman is Josh Morrissey. I love Morrissey, but if he's your best defenceman, you're in trouble.

We simply don't have the roster to compete with the elite teams in the league and will continue to get caved in and shelled by good forechecking teams. It's got nothing to do with effort or systems. It's because we don't have any legit 1Ds capable of consistently shutting down top players and efficiently turning the puck the other way.

It's not all doom and gloom though. The team is good enough to make the playoffs and Hellebuck is playing good enough to steal a series or two if we get there.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I liked his confidence with the puck. Some of those Ozone passes were brilliant. His AHL and OHL numbers do seem to suggest that he is an offense oriented Dman. And its not like he's some unkown plug, he was selected 63rd with at least some degree of pedigree.
For me the differentiator between him and Heinola is you sacrifice a bit of offensive skill for a much better defensive game.

It's been said by a lot of people here, there is nothing wrong with being an offensive minded defenseman who's on the smaller side but you simply must be able to play in your own zone.

I was willing to give Heinola more time to get there but judging by the stuff coming out of his camp and his play with the Moose so far, they think his game is good enough and he doesn't seem to be pushing forward.

I'm starting to get Niku vibes a bit (though obviously Heinola is far more skilled than Sami)

Reactions: LowLefty

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Image.png
My nomination for Second Hottest Jets player.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
IMO better systems and effort this year have exposed our biggest flaw: poor defence corps. Great teams are built from the net out. Our best defenseman is Josh Morrissey. I love Morrissey, but if he's your best defenceman, you're in trouble.

We simply don't have the roster to compete with the elite teams in the league and will continue to get caved in and shelled by good forechecking teams. It's got nothing to do with effort or systems. It's because we don't have any legit 1Ds capable of consistently shutting down top players and efficiently turning the puck the other way.

It's not all doom and gloom though. The team is good enough to make the playoffs and Hellebuck is playing good enough to steal a series or two if we get there.
I think Morrissey is in the Norris conversation so far this year. Having a top 5 scorer in the league on D who can defend and PK makes him a legitimate #1 D and let's not forget he's playing with a flat tire right now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Morrissey is in the Norris conversation so far this year. Having a top 5 scorer in the league on D who can defend and PK makes him a legitimate #1 D and let's not forget he's playing with a flat tire right now.
I was thinking this myself. Not sure if JoMo can maintain it but so far this season he has been playing like a true #1.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was thinking this myself. Not sure if JoMo can maintain it but so far this season he has been playing like a true #1.
I honestly think he has it in him. This is where he was tracking, and I think a few things kind of derailed that:

Losing Trouba and having the pressure of being the top guy
Insane systems and sketchy partners
Covid and that craziness
The death of his father (this is a huge one that I think people just don't consider)

It looks to me like he is on a f***ing mission and I am here for it.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

And I could not disagree more, as well as the analytics that massively disagree.(I know, analytics and statistics lie but the eyes never do).

Samberg was the Jets best dman against Montreal. Capo was maybe the 5th best against Chicago.

Same stuff said about Beaulieu after a game, or Dahlstrom, or Sbisa. Older guy who has no expectations plays a solid game and they get massively overhyped by guys who have a fetish for those types of players.

He was *solid* getting sheltered with Demelo. Both Stanley and Samberg have played far, far better games this year. It's great that the PB dman can come in and play a solid game, that's huge for depth(especially losing Kovacevic for him), but now he should pop back into the PB where he belongs :laugh:.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I honestly think he has it in him. This is where he was tracking, and I think a few things kind of derailed that:

Losing Trouba and having the pressure of being the top guy
Insane systems and sketchy partners
Covid and that craziness
The death of his father (this is a huge one that I think people just don't consider)

It looks to me like he is on a f***ing mission and I am here for it.

His metrics were those of a number 1 dmen last year in terms of GAR.

He's been playing a lot like that so far as well but now the points are really starting to come. Still don't like him much with Pionk especially against the better forechecking teams but this isn't just this year that he's been playing like this.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
And I could not disagree more, as well as the analytics that massively disagree.(I know, analytics and statistics lie but the eyes never do).

Samberg was the Jets best dman against Montreal. Capo was maybe the 5th best against Chicago.

Same stuff said about Beaulieu after a game, or Dahlstrom, or Sbisa. Older guy who has no expectations plays a solid game and they get massively overhyped by guys who have a fetish for those types of players.

He was *solid* getting sheltered with Demelo. Both Stanley and Samberg have played far, far better games this year. It's great that the PB dman can come in and play a solid game, that's huge for depth(especially losing Kovacevic for him), but now he should pop back into the PB where he belongs :laugh:.
Agree to disagree I guess.

At the end of the day, he's played one game so I am trying to temper my optimism for him. I liked what I saw a lot and am excited to see more.

Also just to be fair, my intent was never to compare Capo to snerg. I really like Samberg and I think he should stay in the lineup as long as he's healthy.

What I don't want to see is Stanley draw back in when he is healthy.

It really underlines the logjam we have in the 5-9 spots on our defense. It's great from an injury perspective, but not so much for the players involved.

That's what is especially annoying about the timing of Heinola's agent's media comments. I am sure the Jets are intimately aware that they need to do something with regards to the logjam, and those comments hamper those efforts.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
I really don't want to drag all this up, but you're wrong, and I don't necessarily blame Bettman.

He did pretty much nothing to save the Jets in 96. He did that because he had eyes on expanding the team south and growing the fanbase. The Jets were a drain on the league, and a southern market could potentially increase revenues exponentially (never happened in AZ)

The NHL is a league driven by gate and merchandise. Add to that there is a revenue sharing model. When bigger markets win, they draw more fans and sell more merchandise, as well as grow their fanbase as there is more untapped potential in the US.

In Canada, a large portion of the population is already a fan, so there's less growth opportunity.

So, yes, Bettman would much rather see bigger US markets win from a business perspective.

At the end of the day, the NHL is a business with stakeholders, and he's the CEO. His prime objective is growing revenue.

So, I don't think Bettman hates Winnipeg, he's doing his job.

I do think that passionate Jets fans are entitled to hate him though, because of his lack of action with the Jets in 96, compared with the unending support he's given the Coyotes franchise. He can't admit he made a mistake moving the Jets there (should have moved them to Houston). It's hard not to see the Phoenix market as desirable though, due to its size, growth, and the number of Canadians that have homes there
Well, we can disagree then. I don’t see what Bettman could have done in 96 to save the Jets. Our ownership could not afford to be in the NHL. We had an arena with no box seats. Which was not owned by the Jets ownership. Ownership did not participate in concession revenue. It was basically hopeless. That was on Winnipeg. Not Bettman. The Coyotes comparison is irrelevant.

Finally, Bettman held firm in demanding a salary cap deal with the players. Without that, we probably still would not have a team. Or a quasi farm team at best.

This theme that Bettman is a Jets hater NOW is just another example of our never-ending inferiority complex and victim mentality.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think Capo gives us a lot of nice options and solid depth. Having a PB guy better that 1/2 our defense was a couple years ago is a real good thing. You can also see despite him being a LHD why they decided to keep him over Kovy. He skates well and can step into the lineup when needed.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Pretty quiet where I was. Took 50 tries to get the wave started with the area behind Hellebuyck refusing to join for over 10 minutes causing the wave to start going in the opposite direction and finally it got going.

Section 209-214 embarrasingly quiet. Hyoe crew came but several times to crickets. Laughably an announcer (think it was the Bobby The Coach) referred to our crowd as the " loudest in the NHL."

Stop fooling yourself Winnipeg you're among the leagues worst. Canned crowd noise carried the event.

I think that's more of an indicator that no one should be doing the wave. Let's retire it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, we can disagree then. I don’t see what Bettman could have done in 96 to save the Jets. Our ownership could not afford to be in the NHL. We had an arena with no box seats. Which was not owned by the Jets ownership. Ownership did not participate in concession revenue. It was basically hopeless. That was on Winnipeg. Not Bettman. The Coyotes comparison is irrelevant.

Finally, Bettman held firm in demanding a salary cap deal with the players. Without that, we probably still would not have a team. Or a quasi farm team at best.

This theme that Bettman is a Jets hater NOW is just another example of our never-ending inferiority complex and victim mentality.
Whilst I do agree Bettman couldn't really do anything to save Jets 1.0 (people forget that several Canadian franchises were in dire straits - read EVERY franchise outside of Toronto), I do think that it is indeed relevant that Bettman has bent over backwards for that franchise so many times since relocation that he looks like a pretzel.

I do see the business case for it but it's still very understandable that original fans would hold resentment for that.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agree to disagree I guess.

At the end of the day, he's played one game so I am trying to temper my optimism for him. I liked what I saw a lot and am excited to see more.

Also just to be fair, my intent was never to compare Capo to snerg. I really like Samberg and I think he should stay in the lineup as long as he's healthy.

What I don't want to see is Stanley draw back in when he is healthy.

It really underlines the logjam we have in the 5-9 spots on our defense. It's great from an injury perspective, but not so much for the players involved.

That's what is especially annoying about the timing of Heinola's agent's media comments. I am sure the Jets are intimately aware that they need to do something with regards to the logjam, and those comments hamper those efforts.

I can agree with Stanley, but he had played some really good games before he was injured. I have never and will never be high on Stanley, but regardless of my thoughts on him, whoever is playing the best should play. I had no problem with Samberg in the PB when Stanley played a great game, that's how it should be.

I also have zero problems with Heinola's agents comments. The Jets told him to play a certain way and he did that with the Moose. He was dominant with the Moose, played the exact type of game last season that Bowness said he wants his D to play. He also PK's with the Moose and was better at it in the AHL than Stanley. He has his career to worry about, like every other player who is treated like property in the NHL lol.

This isn't junior hockey. Heinola is missing out on hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars. I'm surprised it took this long. If Lundkvist's camp didn't say anything he'd be parked in the AHL while the Rags tell him "oh don't worry, next year or something. Shut up and be happy you're signed to an NHL team, we own you".

I bet if they parked Dillon or Pionk in the PB for a long stretch more forceful words would be shared, but Bowness is never going to do that because regardless of "playing the best players" like he said in the preseason, vets are treated differently.

And are you sure Chevy is looking to do something? As always with him, what's the rush? He doesn't care if Heinola is happy, or loses millions of dollars. It has no effect on him. Until Heinola forces the issue there is literally no rush for Chevy to do anything.

His metrics were those of a number 1 dmen last year in terms of GAR.

He's been playing a lot like that so far as well but now the points are really starting to come. Still don't like him much with Pionk especially against the better forechecking teams but this isn't just this year that he's been playing like this.

The Jets need another slightly better version of Demelo for Morrissey so Demelo 1.0 can continue to anchor the third pair :laugh:

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013

Ah, yes. The infamous Winnipeg Enterprises Corporation. Thankfully, they're extinct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad