Post-Game Talk: Jets Bagel the Hawks 4-0

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
We are competitive atm but I don't think we are really ready to compete for the division let alone the conference. Colorado and Vegas are solid teams with Dallas and Calgary right behind them. We are in the mix right below them but a win against the Stars Tuesday could change my mind a bit.

Dallas looks good and obviously Colorado will be, but Nashville and St. Louis are starting slowly and the other 3 aren't really expected to do well. We could definitely be in the mix in the division.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am going to give Swayer credit where it is due. He called it early when he said the Jets were working the walls hard and positing themselves properly, which he said will wear you down and open up seams. This is exactly what took place, among other things.

This is completely different team with Bones in charge.

Capo was surprisingly good.

Third line just suffocates the opposition

I like Appleton but he is getting exposed for being over his head now.

Really like PLD's game too. Wonder if he will get another look with Connor once Ehlers is back.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I want to relax and say this team is for real but I am still not convinced this is sustainable. I like bowness's message more than mo's and just hope this will be the difference maker this season vs last years collapse

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well that was fun!
I had forgotten we even had Capobianco. :laugh: I thought he played well. What did others think of him?
Do we need to put him in the mix for 3LD?

I just happened to notice a sequence of play with around 7:10 to go in the 2nd. Scheifele was behind our net battling for the puck. 3-4 seconds later he was receiving a pass in the O zone and got a shooting chance. Nothing in particular came of it but it illustrated how playing D leads to playing O. It also spoke to a lot of the criticism of Scheifele last year. He was doing exactly what the C is supposed to do.

How many will that be already this year? 3?

Does he have brothers the same size as he is he can give them too?
The funny thing about Capo, is if he was a Jets pick not a UFA signing people around here would be complaining he was never given a opportunity. He was an early 3rd round pick (63 OA) and had really good AHL production numbers. He will also still be a RFA at the end of his contract.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Prediction Contest for the Dallas Stars game is up and running, as well as a completely updated leaderboard. Don't forget to sign up for a GDT. There are plenty of games available and I am sure one of them will have your name on it...;)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The funny thing about Capo, is if he was a Jets pick not a UFA signing people around here would be complaining he was never given a opportunity. He was an early 3rd round pick (63 OA) and had really good AHL production numbers. He will also still be a RFA at the end of his contract.
He didn't look out of place out there -
Very composed for a guy that has seen pretty much no action.
I like his offense and though is D was decent - looks like a smart player who makes good decisions, especially with the puck.
Will be interesting to see where this ends up.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
My interpretation it was a comment on Capo who was in the PB for the last 10 games. During the TV broadcast Bones was also quoted that Capo never once complained about not being in the lineup and that he came to practice everyday and worked hard.
Listened on radio but Capo sounded decent.

Windstorm in Vancouver caused chaos today. Traffic jams up the ying yang. But sunny and 10 degrees.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I like Appleton but he is getting exposed for being over his head now.
I'd keep pulling guys into the lineup and trying a few guys in that spot -
Ehlers is out - no idea when he is coming back but it's a good opportunity to try a few different options while we wait. Because this will happen again and it would be nice to know who has the potential to step into the top 6 when needed (other than just apples).

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Only caught the 1st period unfortunately.

What was the first game that Bowness was behind the bench for? Was it St Louis?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My interpretation it was a comment on Capo who was in the PB for the last 10 games. During the TV broadcast Bones was also quoted that Capo never once complained about not being in the lineup and that he came to practice everyday and worked hard.

I mean a fringe player who knows his role and is happy to collect a paycheck vs. A top prospect that feels stuck in the AHL. A bit different situation.

This situation is reminiscent of Brannstrom in Ottawa who is a similar dmen and drafted in a similar spot in 2017. He didn't finally crack the Sens full time until last year and seems to have an elevated PP role and 5 on 5 role this year. Perhaps that is the time line we are on with Ville.

Last edited:

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
A special team win for the Jets, 3 on the PP, 1 on the PK.

Some random thoughts about the win.

This is probably only the Jets 3rd home game where there is alot of energy in the building after playing both the Leafs and Habs, and the building seemed to bring some life to the team. A stretch of home games in November could be fun, as the Jets are now 4-1 at home.

Morrissey is now in the top 5 in scoring for NHL defensemen, maybe the Jets do have a #1 d-man? He looked fantastic this afternoon, and hopefully the PP goal is the monkey off his back. Pionk let a couple of pucks get behind him, one I'm not sure was his fault, but as a pairing what impresses me is how they use their skating for breakouts and move the puck quickly.

Schmidt might not get a jacket, but he was solid. Taking Samberg out you wonder who is going to step up on the PK, and Schmidt was that guy. Well deserved goal too.

Maenalanen maybe read my post about his Corsi? He was great on the checking line, definitely raised his Corsi. Defensively I found myself watching him in some battles, especially one with Kane in front of the net. I can see why this team likes Axelsson Fjallby too, as a tandem those are two complementary wingers.

Adam Lowry broke this game open, his battle level on the PK is fun to watch, and for a big guy he creates separation with some powerful strides.

First games of the year I thought Harkins 1st period was a real struggle, but he improved as the game went on. Capobianco is a good skater like Samberg, maybe a little more offensively talented. Good game for the coach to put him in.

Is Hellebuyck the front runner for the Vezina early in the season? He's making the big save this year, which is inspiring confidence in this team.

Chicago doesn't look that good, for the first time seeing them. Obviously missing your #1 d, a top 6 forward and both your goalies changes your look, but the Jets made the Hawks look 2nd tier, which is great to see, because early in the season the separation is starting for the top 3 in the division. These weaker teams were the nemessis of the Jets last year, so clearly Bowness has got the team competing the right way.

Nice to see another complete game from the Jets, who are looking like legit contenders in the Central.
Only saw half the second, start of the third, but they looked really good.
There were a few losses against San Jose, Arizona type bottom feeders that really left a bad taste last year. Chicago is exactly the kind of team the Jets should be dominating.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Major difference in hustle, back checking, passing, short shifts from last season.
I"d say Bowness is a major difference.
Give the man a Christmas BONUS if this keeps up!

The players look like they are having fun out there again and that makes a big difference. The systems play keeps improving as well and with the light schedule the next couple of weeks they will have a lot of practice time to continue ironing out any kinks in their game.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
It was great live!
Blackhawks suck! Lol

5 out of 5 Schwarzenegger‘s

1667697621751.gif
1667697621751.gif
1667697621751.gif
1667697621751.gif
1667697621751.gif

Ad