Post-Game Talk: Jets Bagel the Hawks 4-0

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Agree to disagree I guess.

At the end of the day, he's played one game so I am trying to temper my optimism for him. I liked what I saw a lot and am excited to see more.

Also just to be fair, my intent was never to compare Capo to snerg. I really like Samberg and I think he should stay in the lineup as long as he's healthy.

What I don't want to see is Stanley draw back in when he is healthy.

It really underlines the logjam we have in the 5-9 spots on our defense. It's great from an injury perspective, but not so much for the players involved.

That's what is especially annoying about the timing of Heinola's agent's media comments. I am sure the Jets are intimately aware that they need to do something with regards to the logjam, and those comments hamper those efforts.
Capo did this is Arizona, too. Would look like a dynamic, puck moving D one game and incompetent the next.

Reactions: JetsUK and MardyBum

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Capo did this is Arizona, too. Would look like a dynamic, puck moving D one game and incompetent the next.
Then hopefully we see more consistency in his game. I'd imagine it is pretty tough on young defenseman in the desert. But you can see why Bones would want his skill set in the PB. From day 1 he said he wanted the defense to jump into the play and help provide offense. Makes sense if your PB can step in and play this type of a game as it allows your team to keep playing the same way. Kovy while being a RHD, was much more a stay home type of player who doesn't have great mobility nor much in the way of offense.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
IMO better systems and effort this year have exposed our biggest flaw: poor defence corps. Great teams are built from the net out. Our best defenseman is Josh Morrissey. I love Morrissey, but if he's your best defenceman, you're in trouble.

We simply don't have the roster to compete with the elite teams in the league and will continue to get caved in and shelled by good forechecking teams. It's got nothing to do with effort or systems. It's because we don't have any legit 1Ds capable of consistently shutting down top players and efficiently turning the puck the other way.

It's not all doom and gloom though. The team is good enough to make the playoffs and Hellebuck is playing good enough to steal a series or two if we get there.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ay, the perils of the one game sample size. The one that showed DeMelo was a tirefire on the top pairing, Capobianco a competent #6 D, and Kovacevic an AHL plug. I'm glad that Mossey is taking a more offensive mindset this year; his WHL game was kind of built around that before developing a defensive set to his game in the NHL. Would love to see him with a defenseman that can help defend against the other team's best, but he's our best D right now. Nice to see Dillon rebound this year as well. He does much better in a structured environment. I still think Pionk is better served with being traded. He is full chaos, and hurts the Jets as much as he helps them. He's Buff without the charisma and build.

I love that right now as we speak our biggest problem might be finding out who our 6th defenseman should be. I'm really liking Axle and Maenalanen and what they are bringing to our bottom 6 .

It's a bit more nuanced than that. Only reason we're so fixated on the 6th D is because we have 5 people in the system that can play there right now, but can't because of the incumbents. Our D as a whole isn't good enough to compete. Love that we don't have to worry about the 4th line right now. They're no longer the 5 minute wonders of the PauMau years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106-110635_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106-110635_Chrome.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The funny thing about Capo, is if he was a Jets pick not a UFA signing people around here would be complaining he was never given a opportunity. He was an early 3rd round pick (63 OA) and had really good AHL production numbers. He will also still be a RFA at the end of his contract.

Ya, his record looks promising. I kind of dismissed him when he was signed. He's 25 so he is pretty much what he will be, but that is not too bad from the looks of it. Adequate size, good skating, some offensive skill. I want to see more.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Points are points; they all spend the same in April. Credit for them winning the games they should be winning (and those that they shouldn't), but it will take more games for me to be comfortable, if not impressed, by this team. Montreal isn't great. Neither is Chicago. Dust off and prepare for the next game.

I will be very sad if Hellebuyck ever plays for another team.

It would be premature to label this team contenders, or even a lock for the PO. But there are encouraging signs. We are getting better team play. Forwards are back checking better and covering for Dmen jumping up better. Helle has returned to form. Quite a lot of little things. And they are winning.

For now, I'm just enjoying the wins.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
The real death knell was the owners caving on a salary cap during the lockout. Without cost certainty not only did we have to make up the loses until the arena was built but we didn't even know if we could break even in a new arena. US franchises were spending like drunken sailors and a 70 cent dollar.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ya, his record looks promising. I kind of dismissed him when he was signed. He's 25 so he is pretty much what he will be, but that is not too bad from the looks of it. Adequate size, good skating, some offensive skill. I want to see more.

"He's 25 so he is pretty much what he will be", also calls 25 year old Kovacevic a rookie who's not a finished product.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Thats no different than any of the sports news sites. I remember at the start of the season reading sportsnet on a non-Jets game day to see 15 or so hockey related stories, 10 of them about the Leafs and what Matthews had for breakfast. No Jets news to be found.

• Wow
Reactions: Heldig

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Was gonna say -- this is a guy who was inconsistent enough that he couldn't make the grade on one of the league's worst teams. Maybe he was just sadly misunderstood there and becomes the reclamation project that works out, but I'm not sure he should bump either Samberg or even Stanley down the list on one showing and a training camp where we barely saw him. Maybe this is the beginning of a new platoon?

But the org saw something in him way back then, so who knows.

Anyway, that was an odd but good game. Thought we had some dips but it never looked like surrender -- that alone is the best news of the season for me.

Reactions: snowkiddin

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Was gonna say -- this is a guy who was inconsistent enough that he couldn't make the grade on one of the league's worst teams. Maybe he was just sadly misunderstood there and becomes the reclamation project that works out, but I'm not sure he should bump either Samberg or even Stanley down the list on one showing and a training camp where we barely saw him. Maybe this is the beginning of a new platoon?

Anyway, that was an odd but good game. Thought we had some dips but it never looked like surrender -- that alone is the best news of the season for me.
pretty sure when we got him coyote's fans said he was good but kept getting injured

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Thats no different than any of the sports news sites. I remember at the start of the season reading sportsnet on a non-Jets game day to see 15 or so hockey related stories, 10 of them about the Leafs and what Matthews had for breakfast. No Jets news to be found.
And on the Toronto Sports Network

1667765190375.png

• Haha

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
pretty sure when we got him coyote's fans said he was good but kept getting injured

IDK -- when I looked him up back then he was a guy who yo-yo'd back and forth between AZ and Tucson depending on who was injured on the big club. His numbers and usage didn't scream top waiver acquisition or even NHL regular to me, but it would be nice to see someone seize that role and run with it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

He may have just not had any support from his partner or other players on the ice.

I'm trying to supress my excitement for him because, again, it's one game and he was waived by another team. Waiver acquisitions rarely turn out to be anything of real substance.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think that's more of an indicator that no one should be doing the wave. Let's retire it.
The wave is just a single example of those in attendance no longer willing to participate in any type of verbal or visual support. Not only are fans unwilling to join in, most give strange looks to anyone that does, leading to even the most vocal fans going in the silence. This isn't as bad in the upper deck, but I certainly curtail my volume when in the lower deck due to fear of offending those around me.

It's become an embarrassment & management had recognized this by investing in state of the art visuals for pregame festivities, dj's spinning at entranceways, hype crews; some waving flags during commercial breaks other dressed in bizarre costumes (Peanut Butter & Jam being one, 90's hype crew being another) Best decision has been hiring ex Canad Inn nightclub staff to DJ & act as the live mic presence.

Too little too late.

Also great to see the $6 Budweiser pre puck drop promotion isn't in place at all concession stands. Our first round we ordered four $6 beers, had them opened & then told the bill was $44 rather than $24 bucks.

Meanwhile while the price gouging is going on, True North can't be bothered to fix the pixelated & burned out tv's that had issues pre pandemic at many concession stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK and Cypruss

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The wave is just a single example of those in attendance no longer willing to participate in any type of verbal or visual support. Not only are fans unwilling to join in, most give strange looks to anyone that does, leading to even the most vocal fans going in the silence. This isn't as bad in the upper deck, but I certainly curtail my volume when in the lower deck due to fear of offending those around me.

It's become an embarrassment & management had recognized this by investing in state of the art visuals for pregame festivities, dj's spinning at entranceways, hype crews; some waving flags during commercial breaks other dressed in bizarre costumes (Peanut Butter & Jam being one, 90's hype crew being another) Best decision has been hiring ex Canad Inn nightclub staff to DJ & act as the live mic presence.

Too little too late.

Also great to see the $6 Budweiser pre puck drop promotion isn't in place at all concession stands. Our first round we ordered four $6 beers, had them opened & then told the bill was $44 rather than $24 bucks.

Meanwhile while the price gouging is going on, True North can't be bothered to fix the pixelated & burned out tv's that had issues pre pandemic at many concession stands.

I don't disagree (except saying the best decision has been hiring Canad Inn nightclub staff to dj and host since those clubs are not fun), but still, the wave has got to go.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't disagree (except saying the best decision has been hiring Canad Inn nightclub staff to dj and host since those clubs are not fun), but still, the wave has got to go.
Fin-S does an excellent job with the music. It's been a night & day difference having someone who's gigged nightly for 25 years & cumulatively watched several hundred thousand people respond to music run the show as opposed to ex-Goldeyes staff with a Herzing broadcast degrees who haven't even gigged an event at the wedding social level make musical decisions for our hockey club.

You don't have to like going to nightclubs, Canad Inns or otherwise, to appreciate the job he's doing. I'll also applaud who ever is pixel mapping the pregame show visuals. Outstanding!

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad