Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Avs 2

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Jets have to see something in Stanley's game for him to be in the lineup, conversely they have to see something in Schmidt's game that they don't like for him to be banished to the pb. We got a bit of a log jam on D and maybe a trade of some kind would help especially with Heinola starting to skate.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It's hard to beat great teams. The win against the Hurricanes was really Brossoit stealing one. This one was a hard earned close game where we capitalized on our chances and played stride by stride with the Avs. The Avs have really dominated at home this year, and the Jets look like they belong in the conversation after a game like this.

The MacKinnon goal was hilarious. Stanley got pyloned so bad that he couldn't even touch him with his 12 foot long stick. I thought he was supposed to have improved his foot speed? Wow, watch his reaction and cross overs on that play and you can see how limited his mobility really is. Sure MacKinnon is fast but wow, that was bad.

Anyway, great game, great win, nice to be on a W streak again.

GJG!

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
It's hard to beat great teams. The win against the Hurricanes was really Brossoit stealing one. This one was a hard earned close game where we capitalized on our chances and played stride by stride with the Avs. The Avs have really dominated at home this year, and the Jets look like they belong in the conversation after a game like this.

The MacKinnon goal was hilarious. Stanley got pyloned so bad that he couldn't even touch him with his 12 foot long stick. I thought he was supposed to have improved his foot speed? Wow, watch his reaction and cross overs on that play and you can see how limited his mobility really is. Sure MacKinnon is fast but wow, that was bad.

Anyway, great game, great win, nice to be on a W streak again.

GJG!
He was actively crossing over away from Mackinnon as he was left in the dust. Everyone is saying other players got beat too (and let's be honest, Mackinnon is REALLY good), but that was embarrassing.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Helle was solid and has really improved his puck handling.

The 4th line was so good.

My only negative is Iafallo, Vilardi and Perfetti are a SLOW line really spent too much time in our end. Swap Baron with Iafallo to get some speed on that line. Still have plenty of speed on the 4th line. Edit: Baron probably deserves a couple more minutes of ice time as anyway.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Who's trying to change reality?
I think the fact that Stan is a PB player is no secret where everyone needs to be reminded in a PGT after the team just played one of the best games I have watched them play.
You're even taking shots at the coach after this win
Bad day??

A very good day, in fact. And I loved the result. But the substance of my criticism of the man stands. We know Stanley is PB material; our coach does not. And citing this as one of this anachronistic ways seems fair given his other “old-fashioned” folly.

So yeah, Stanley needs to be traded so he can’t be played.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Usually they're in the middle or better of GA because Hellebuyck stands on his head. Last year they were solid with Bowness coming in, this year one of the best defensive teams 5v5.

Their problems are generating more offensive chances (but at least they have the skill to finish their chances) and the special teams which is still bad.

Great road game against a great team.

The Jets have ahad a very difficult schedule lately? Seems they played against many other top teams the last 10 or so

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Crazy how the top line is on fire right as soon as the second line goes kind of cold, wonder what the mysterious reason could be :huh:
Pepperidge Farm remembers all those people complaining about Ehlers at the beginning of the season.

He's our most important 5v5 forward and I will stand by that.

As good as line 1 has been, I think splitting them up and putting Vilardi up there and Ehlers onto second line may be the best option. Although with how little the second line (really 3rd line by icetime) plays, maybe loading up line 1 is the best thing to do.

Good game by the Jets, didn't get to watch all of it but the numbers and the part I watched look good.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The Jets played a far better game than I expected them to against Colorado. Definitely a step up from the shit canning they got from Carolina. I thought Stanley attributed himself relatively well, though he got exposed quite significantly by MacKinnon. Jet's got buried in their zone a couple of times against their top line, but the Jet's top line played a very strong game. I was happy with them. The Jets are still playing the wrong component of defensmen. They need to get this sorted before Ville is ready to return. I can see them sending him down for a conditioning stint, or even just sending him down to get some games in. Blessed are the waiver exempt tweeners.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

I can't remember the last time he was guilty of an egregious turnover. He's handling the puck much better than he used to, and is much more decisive with it. If he knows where his players are going to be than that makes it easier. I wonder how much it has to do with communication and system work. I imagine it was a stiffer. workload with Paul Maurice's man on man defense. Knowing where your defensemen are going to be for the breakout is important. I've been pretty happy with Samberg's game. I think he's better than the bottom pairing. He can be a solid number four on a decently deep team.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
DeMelo again struggled early in the game. Tripped on the blue line making a dangerous 2 on 1. He has really struggled.

We are definitely showcasing Stanley. Other than the Mac goal, he was as expected.

Mac got clobbered by Dillon and just kept skating to the net for their other goal. He's just a beast.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

The 4th line was so good.

My only negative is Iafallo, Vilardi and Perfetti are a SLOW line really spent too much time in our end. Swap Baron with Iafallo to get some speed on that line. Still have plenty of speed on the 4th line. Edit: Baron probably deserves a couple more minutes of ice time as anyway.

Bingo, second line was hemmed in all night because of NO speed on that line!

Need the Russian back and or Ehlers on the second line!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Jets have to see something in Stanley's game for him to be in the lineup, conversely they have to see something in Schmidt's game that they don't like for him to be banished to the pb. We got a bit of a log jam on D and maybe a trade of some kind would help especially with Heinola starting to skate.
I don’t think anyone thinks Stan is a long term solution but other than mackinnon’s goal he was good enough.
He was actively crossing over away from Mackinnon as he was left in the dust. Everyone is saying other players got beat too (and let's be honest, Mackinnon is REALLY good), but that was embarrassing.
It looked like Samberg didn’t even react by the time it was in our goal. But, it was embarrassing, but, I also thought Dillion’s hit on their second goal where Mack just bounced off. That’s a top 4 guy. All Stan’s supporters are saying is he might be good enough for filling in but spending most of his time in pb.
Pepperidge Farm remembers all those people complaining about Ehlers at the beginning of the season.

He's our most important 5v5 forward and I will stand by that.

As good as line 1 has been, I think splitting them up and putting Vilardi up there and Ehlers onto second line may be the best option. Although with how little the second line (really 3rd line by icetime) plays, maybe loading up line 1 is the best thing to do.

Good game by the Jets, didn't get to watch all of it but the numbers and the part I watched look good.
That’s crazy if that’s true about Ehlers considering Kc leads the whole league in 5 v 5 scoring.

Reactions: thereturn

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
That’s crazy if that’s true about Ehlers considering Kc leads the whole league in 5 v 5 scoring.
Goal scoring is not the only thing that matters. He is 41st in 5v5 points with 14.

Ehlers also has 12 points 5v5 in 80 less minutes, while having much better possession numbers.

KC is a very good goalscorer, but that is literally the only thing he does. Now, that is very important and we still need him as we don't have that many pure finishers on this team. But I stand by what I said.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Pooh approves.
Polish_20231208_093227007.jpg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jets played a Stanley Cup calibre team, and won that game with a great effort, and led the whole game. They did not sit back on the lead, and kept pushing, which really impressed me.

That 2nd line is slow, and could cause problems. Villardi is a big body, but he's slow, and Perfetti isn't a speedster. We're really missing Namestikov or Ehlers on that 2nd line, and I hope they make an adjustment there.

All around a great effort by the jets, for 3 in a row now, and still rolling, and maybe could make it 5 or 6. Team is looking good, and these depth guys acquired, and new signings, are causing our goals against to drop, which is a really good sign. The Jets can be competitive with any team, and have a good chance of winning the Central -- just need to be consistent. Hope they get Names back soon, for that 2nd line.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Goal scoring is not the only thing that matters. He is 41st in 5v5 points with 14.

Ehlers also has 12 points 5v5 in 80 less minutes, while having much better possession numbers.

KC is a very good goalscorer, but that is literally the only thing he does. Now, that is very important and we still need him as we don't have that many pure finishers on this team. But I stand by what I said.
Ehlers also plays against weaker opponents as they match the best defensive players to shut down the first line.

Also id say finishing is more important than possession numbers. Being able to skate around with the puck on your stick doesn’t mean much if you aren’t finishing with the puck in the opponents net. Finishing the play being the hardest part.

Also, hardly the only thing kc does. He is a good playmaker and his d has been much improved.
Ehlers has benefited from a hot perfetti finishing.
Good problem having both.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Ehlers also plays against weaker opponents as they match the best defensive players to shut down the first line.

Also id say finishing is more important than possession numbers. Being able to skate around with the puck on your stick doesn’t mean much if you aren’t finishing with the puck in the opponents net. Finishing the play being the hardest part.

Also, hardly the only thing kc does. He is a good playmaker and his d has been much improved.
Ehlers has benefited from a hot perfetti finishing.
Good problem having both.
KC has literally 0 primary assists 5v5 lol. He is a goal scorer through and through.

Possession numbers usually (not always) lead to outscoring the opponent. Ehlers also has a better 5v5 GF% (60% vs. 50% for KC).

Anyway, not trying to tear down KC, both players are very good.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
KC has literally 0 primary assists 5v5 lol. He is a goal scorer through and through.

Possession numbers usually (not always) lead to outscoring the opponent. Ehlers also has a better 5v5 GF% (60% vs. 50% for KC).

Anyway, not trying to tear down KC, both players are very good.
Primary and secondary assists are a bit silly. Did the team score because of a play you made recently good. Can you be a good passer and then have someone else make another nice pass right after? Good.

For instance against Carolina Kc’s pass to Schief who then made a nice pass to Ehlers was very nice.

Ehlers is playing great and with him on top of his game all the better. The team is all the scarier if Ehlers is the best player because kc just going to keep putting up them goals and is also playing great.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
DeMelo again struggled early in the game. Tripped on the blue line making a dangerous 2 on 1. He has really struggled.

We are definitely showcasing Stanley. Other than the Mac goal, he was as expected.

Mac got clobbered by Dillon and just kept skating to the net for their other goal. He's just a beast.
There is no way Tree should have been on the ice with Mac. Best player against worst D isn’t a formula for success.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Not much to add this morning to everything that's been said here. It was a great game to watch, and espy the third period where we resisted the urge to do that defensive shell thing that never works. I wasn'st impressed with Stanley's lack of speed but he's pretty solid at puck handling. Best thing of all and mostly ignored so far here was Morrisey's excellent play, both in our end and in moving it up the ice.
Morrissey was exceptional last night. I thought he was the team's 1st star.

I also don't think it was KFC's best game per se, but it might have been specifically his best all-around game (defensively, his work along the boards, more "physically active", etc). It was interesting, seeing him playing on the PK.

I'm appreciating Ehlers a lot more recently. And as always, the "All for One and One for All" gets tossed out the moment he starts doing well, and it becomes "He's the reason for the success of A, B, C".

I thought the Perfetti/Names line was carrying him until he got up to speed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad