Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Avs 2

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If only Ehlers could stay healthy.
Good point - because when you ain't playin', the stat's don't mean much.

Nick is a high octane player that is a blast to watch.
But if he's out of the lineup, or working his way back up to speed in the line up, we miss a lot of what he can bring.
I'd guess that some of his consistency issues are related this problem - because he always seems to be working back up to speed.

Right now, he's in a good place and playing full speed - hopefully he can stay mostly injury free for the remainder of this season - he's a difference maker some nights.

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
You don't need to be embarrassed when one of the best players in the world makes a #7/8 dman look really bad -
The gap between these 2 skill levels is almost unmeasurable.
It's almost like the bench mark for a guy slotting in as the 6th dman on this team is to be able to handle Mac - on every play.
MacKinnon will do that to much better players than Stan - and he does it on a nightly basis.

Stan is likely being showcased - and the coach appears to have dropped him into a really tough matchup in support of that (and also did it against the Cannes - we won both I guess in spite of Stan) - but anyone watching with interest in Stan (trade), is likely no where near as critical as the haters - they certainly are not saying "Mac beat him bad - he's pretty useless" - because if that is the measuring stick used to evaluate bottom pairing Dmen, most would fail the test.
Slotting him in against the Blackhawks or Sharks wouldn't be much of a test or the type of test an interested team would want to see.

Some on here think the coach is a dino for dropping him in - that same bunch should try to understand that if we want to trade this player for the best return possible, he needs to put him in game situations that will test him. And everyone should try to understand that Stan is not our 6th D - he's the 7/8 who is getting ice time possibly in support of a trade.

If the Jets are looking to trade this player, they are doing what they need to do.
And if many on here want him traded, they should be happy that he was able to come out of 2 very tough games against top teams (that we won) surprisingly well.

Sometimes it's just about a dislike for a player that leaves some unable to see the forest for the trees (pun intended).
I don't dislike Stan, but I do dislike his foot speed and hockey intellect.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Do people still find it overly negative here? I think this board tends to overreact on both sides and can be rather fickle about it. I don’t find it that bad here.
People forget that a board like this is made up of hundreds of different personalities, all of them different. I always find it interesting when people treat it like a living, homogeneous entity that has a single personality.

To make it more confusing, the individuals may react differently each time they post.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I find it just fine.
I don't mind a difference of opinion.
What I find out of line are people attacking others and telling them not to comment a certain way.
If it hadn’t been for you I would’ve been married a long time ago.

Now don’t comment this certain way again!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Except the Jets literally got outshot this game and there has been nothing but praise for them in this PGT. There was also very little criticism of them when they started the season dominating games but losing due to goaltending. Almost like many of us watch the game and respond to the details of the the game rather than the final scoreline. At this point those who complain about the mythical "negativity" are are more negative than anyone "spewing negativity" .
There was one poster that praised the game but still had to complain about something, so they brought up the fact that the Jets aren't generating shots off of 2 on 1s... claimed it was one of the most annoying things in hockey

That's what I mean about someone "not being happy unless they aren't happy". There always has to be a negative

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
There was one poster that praised the game but still had to complain about something, so they brought up the fact that the Jets aren't generating shots off of 2 on 1s... claimed it was one of the most annoying things in hockey

That's what I mean about someone "not being happy unless they aren't happy". There always has to be a negative
I do not wish cause animosity but I think having a long post that’s all pretty positive with just one piece of commentary on something they didn’t like to be overly negative or only happy if they’re unhappy. I don’t know, I like talking about the Jets, both good and bad, and that’s why, despite its seemingly negative reputation, I like HFBoards and all of you HF Jets posters. I like that we make room, for the most part, for all voices and opinions.

This is way grander in my eyes than r/winnipegjets, where the schmucks there engage in a bountiful circlejerk and hush/downvote to the extreme dissenting or unpopular opinions.

I don’t know, maybe I’m out to lunch, but I find this place to be quite enjoyable because it’s a essentially a gaggle of hockey nerds (myself included) who know (and live for!) the sport and I just never saw the crowd here to be too overbearingly negative.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I do not wish cause animosity but I think having a long post that’s all pretty positive with just one piece of commentary on something they didn’t like to be overly negative or only happy if they’re unhappy. I don’t know, I like talking about the Jets, both good and bad, and that’s why, despite its seemingly negative reputation, I like HFBoards and all of you HF Jets posters. I like that we make room, for the most part, for all voices and opinions.

This is way grander in my eyes than r/winnipegjets, where the schmucks there engage in a bountiful circlejerk and hush/downvote to the extreme dissenting or unpopular opinions.

I don’t know, maybe I’m out to lunch, but I find this place to be quite enjoyable because it’s a essentially a gaggle of hockey nerds (myself included) who know (and live for!) the sport and I just never saw the crowd here to be too overbearingly negative.
To be completely honest, my post was more a reflection of me and my issues than that poster. I grew up in a house where nothing was ever good enough... get a 98% on a test? Why wasn't it 100%?

There just seems to be an underlying pessimism and negativity around some people that regardless of how the Jets play or the outcome of the game, there's a always a "yeah, but....". These are the same posters that got the pitchforks out after that 3rd loss in a row. It's like they're just waiting for a reason to shit on the team.

Why not just enjoy the games, win or lose? Outshoot or outshot? Lots of shots on 2 on1s or no shots? It's all good. We have an NHL team to cheer for.

I watched the same game as everyone else and saw the same blips and issues that we all did... but when I come post in the PGT, it's all positive. Even when we lose.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
To be completely honest, my post was more a reflection of me and my issues than that poster. I grew up in a house where nothing was ever good enough... get a 98% on a test? Why wasn't it 100%?

There just seems to be an underlying pessimism and negativity around some people that regardless of how the Jets play or the outcome of the game, there's a always a "yeah, but....". These are the same posters that got the pitchforks out after that 3rd loss in a row. It's like they're just waiting for a reason to shit on the team.

Why not just enjoy the games, win or lose? Outshoot or outshot? Lots of shots on 2 on1s or no shots? It's all good. We have an NHL team to cheer for.

I watched the same game as everyone else and saw the same blips and issues that we all did... but when I come post in the PGT, it's all positive. Even when we lose.
As one of these pitchfork holders from time-to-time, I think it’s just easy to get caught up in everything. We all want the Jets to do well, except maybe @nobody imp0rtant (just kidding, my friend! :razz:) but I find myself getting so into the game, the team, and the moment, that my frustration boils over and I tend to be hyperbolic in my criticism of the team. I think some other posters here likely experience the same phenomenon.

That’s why I am appreciative of the positivity of you and others on here. Helps talk me off the ledge. :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Is talking about parts of the game that you didn't like not allowed? Bones in his post-game criticized the 2nd line, is he also an annoying overly negative HFBoards poster? Part of being a fan of a team is being able to discuss the good and the bad that comes with an 82 game season, there are games the Jets lose and get dominated in where they will do some good things and there are games where they win where there will be things that didn't click.

If one can't make a very large post praising pretty much every aspect of the game with one line at the end bemoaning not generating a single shot attempt from multiple 2 on 1st without it being somehow being considered unkosher than we may as well shut this board down. We are the most hardcore of Jets fans here who get into the minutia of esoteric stuff like GAR, xGAR, GSAx and what it means- expecting people to not comment on something as obvious as plays in a game is unreasonable.

Personally, when I am reading HFJets I try focus on the posts themselves rather than the posters or trying to divine any "positive" or "negative" agenda, real or imagined. The more one focuses on posters rather than their posts and the Jets, the less useful the discussion becomes.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Is talking about parts of the game that you didn't like not allowed? Bones in his post-game criticized the 2nd line, is he also an annoying overly negative HFBoards poster? Part of being a fan of a team is being able to discuss the good and the bad that comes with an 82 game season, there are games the Jets lose and get dominated in where they will do some good things and there are games where they win where there will be things that didn't click.

If one can't make a very large post praising pretty much every aspect of the game with one line at the end bemoaning not generating a single shot attempt from multiple 2 on 1st without it being somehow being considered unkosher than we may as well shut this board down. We are the most hardcore of Jets fans here who get into the minutia of esoteric stuff like GAR, xGAR, GSAx and what it means- expecting people to not comment on something as obvious as plays in a game is unreasonable.

Personally, when I am reading HFJets I try focus on the posts themselves rather than the posters or trying to divine any "positive" or "negative" agenda, real or imagined. The more one focuses on posters rather than their posts and the Jets, the less useful the discussion becomes.
And let’s be real, if you’re a Jets fan, so says your username, I think you are entitled to being negative. I mean, that Zach Wilson pick was AWFUL.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Would like to see Ehlers retire as a Jet!

woild like to see Schmshit fired into outer space!
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 3.54.00 AM.png

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
As good as top line is I think team would be better with one of kc or Ehlers on second line feasting off weaker match ups. Also the whole only one puck thing and Ehlers is best when he has puck on his stick same with kc and schief.
I used to feel the same way as you, and you're probably right that the second line could use some help, but as much as those the players like to carry the puck I feel they are very unselfish when it comes to distributing the puck. They're all guys who can shoot and pass equally well, such must be extremely hard to defend as you can't just smother the shooter.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Bones keeps saying he likes Stanley's game. Could be posturing, but I doubt it. He's usually pretty straightforward.
Look what the coach does, not says.

He has to try and keep Stan pumped up, either for a trade or injury backup.

Still, he's healthied a lot. That speaks volumes.

I get the feeling he'll be moved soon. He seems to still have value, teams are starting to want to improve their d and we're going to have to make some tough decisions especially when heinola returns.

A very good day, in fact. And I loved the result. But the substance of my criticism of the man stands. We know Stanley is PB material; our coach does not. And citing this as one of this anachronistic ways seems fair given his other “old-fashioned” folly.

So yeah, Stanley needs to be traded so he can’t be played.
I'd suggest he's being played so he can be traded.

If Bowness loved him so much he be dressed for every game he's eligible.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Look what the coach does, not says.

He has to try and keep Stan pumped up, either for a trade or injury backup.

Still, he's healthied a lot. That speaks volumes.

I get the feeling he'll be moved soon. He seems to still have value, teams are starting to want to improve their d and we're going to have to make some tough decisions especially when heinola returns.

I'd suggest he's being played so he can be traded.

If Bowness loved him so much he be dressed for every game he's eligible.
Agreed it is looking more and more like they are showcasing Stanley in the runup of Heinola's return. My guess is Chisholm looked good enough in his few games that he has moved past Stanley on the team's depth chart, so Stanley will be the odd man out with Villie's return.

The Dude is in LA right now, how’s the weather in Winnipeg 😁
I'm just about to go shovel the driveway and the wind is still howling, so probably not as pleasant as Southern California. So are you hitting all the games this week?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's gotten a lot better. I think the cycling of the usual major lightning rods of negativity (Maurice, Wheeler, Laine, PLD) have had a lot to do with that. The improved results on the ice are surely helping.

Good call I think it’s a combination. If we start losing our lighting will find a new rod but it’s not as easy as with the guys on your list who suffered from fan fatigue. Also with Scheifele accepting Chevy’s lifetime contract, playing a more complete rejuvenated game in an engaged upbeat fashion its the full WWE BACK TO BRIGHT EYES baby face swerve after a few seasons as the brooding mini heel.

This 2023-24 Jets team is more likable than other recent Jets vintages whether they are winning or losing.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed it is looking more and more like they are showcasing Stanley in the runup of Heinola's return. My guess is Chisholm looked good enough in his few games that he has moved past Stanley on the team's depth chart, so Stanley will be the odd man out with Villie's return.

I'm just about to go shovel the driveway and the wind is still howling, so probably not as pleasant as Southern California. So are you hitting all the games this week?
The Dude will be at the LA game 👍

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I used to feel the same way as you, and you're probably right that the second line could use some help, but as much as those the players like to carry the puck I feel they are very unselfish when it comes to distributing the puck. They're all guys who can shoot and pass equally well, such must be extremely hard to defend as you can't just smother the shooter.

Yeah the line is working well, no real need to mix it up if the less balanced lines aren't hurting our depth guys.

We can always switch back if things go stale.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad