Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Bolts 2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Maybe Leafs should start play Hall and Oates again, so the can get some easy wins.. :P
Maybe one of them could try out for the H'Uilers Tendy spot.:)

oil-pour-oil.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah that's my point. When young players show that they're ready, the team has no problem advancing them.

Of course, having a spot for them plays into it but for the most part the Jets have been very good at balancing team need vs. Dev need with our prospects

Agreed, I think Ville was going to get his shot this year but injury hit.

The only one I disagree with is Tree. He just got a spot due to being big, not really due to being ready.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Nice to see Helle rounding into form, this team is definitely better than past years but if we want to be a true contender he has to be Vezinabuyck still.

Vilardi back will be big, I think he should go right back to the top line with Scheif and Connor. Iafallo has done well filling in for him and it's good to know he can do so, but Vilardi is the guy I want in that spot.

Really hope Ville still gets a chance this year, we will see how his recovery goes. Schmidt is pretty cooked, Stanley sucks.

I must say Pionk has been much improved from the start of the year when he was looking like he might be an anchor.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I was only able to watch the third period, but I did not like how the Jets managed the puck. They had too many giveaways in the NZ, and not enough getting it into the offensive zone to do their cycle chances like they like to do. Pionk had himself a pretty decent game from what I saw though. The Jets desperately need another defender on the back end. Tampa is still a pretty good team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was only able to watch the third period, but I did not like how the Jets managed the puck. They had too many giveaways in the NZ, and not enough getting it into the offensive zone to do their cycle chances like they like to do. Pionk had himself a pretty decent game from what I saw though. The Jets desperately need another defender on the back end. Tampa is still a pretty good team.

Yup, I'm hopping Ville can come in when healthy and be an upgrade over Schmidt.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Nice to see Helle rounding into form, this team is definitely better than past years but if we want to be a true contender he has to be Vezinabuyck still.

Vilardi back will be big, I think he should go right back to the top line with Scheif and Connor. Iafallo has done well filling in for him and it's good to know he can do so, but Vilardi is the guy I want in that spot.

Really hope Ville still gets a chance this year, we will see how his recovery goes. Schmidt is pretty cooked, Stanley sucks.

I must say Pionk has been much improved from the start of the year when he was looking like he might be an anchor.

I feel Iafallo did well enough on the first line to start, but I see it a bit like last year with the hot start Dubois had with Connor(?) - the two of them were so good together that whoever was on the other wing was going to look good by comparison. I think Vilardi will add something to the line and Iafallo will add something to the bottom 6. It's tough because that 3rd line right now is doing very well 5v5 so breaking that up might be hard to do. Good problems to have.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yup, I honestly didn't expect him to figure it out so quickly or be so effective this soon.

It's a really good argument against those who say we ruin prospects by overcooking them. We've seen that the team, while cautious with young players will give them opportunities as they show they can handle them.
See KC for a comparable. Love that he has stepped up. A team needs their rookies to do that if you want to stay competitive.

Reactions: Jet and surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I feel Iafallo did well enough on the first line to start, but I see it a bit like last year with the hot start Dubois had with Connor(?) - the two of them were so good together that whoever was on the other wing was going to look good by comparison. I think Vilardi will add something to the line and Iafallo will add something to the bottom 6. It's tough because that 3rd line right now is doing very well 5v5 so breaking that up might be hard to do. Good problems to have.
Lafallo makes sense to me on the 3rd -
He's the guy they picked to fill in on the first so you'd assume he is a step up from Apples
He also has the size and grit the 3rd line likes - so there is no loss by moving him in on the RW.
He's also a smart player that can adapt his game and potentially bring a more balanced offensive vibe to that line (along with his D).
I see Apples being the guy that moves down to the 4th assuming Vilardi slots back in on the 1st and the 2nd is left as is (which is what I would do).

But I agree - lots of options and a nice problem to have / solve.

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Agreed, I think Ville was going to get his shot this year but injury hit.

The only one I disagree with is Tree. He just got a spot due to being big, not really due to being ready.

I don’t think Stanley would agree with you. He’s coming on 26 and has played 117 NHL games. That’s like saying Chisholm got his shot this year.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lafallo makes sense to me on the 3rd -
He's the guy they picked to fill in on the first so you'd assume he is a step up from Apples
He also has the size and grit the 3rd line likes - so there is no lose by moving him in on the RW.
He's also a smart player that can adapt his game and potentially bring a more balanced offensive vibe to that line (along with his D).
I see Apples being the guy that moves down to the 4th assuming Vilardi slots back in on the 1st and the 2nd is left as is (which is what I would do).

But I agree - lots of options and a nice problem to have / solve.

They may elect to move Cole back to center and have Namestnikov center the fourth line. We really haven't gotten much from that line lately and his play driving would be a big boost.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah, I wouldn't be breaking up that 3rd line. Having a line that pushes play and is outscoring competition as well as they are as a 3rd line is a tremendous asset.

I would either go Vilardi to the top line, Iafallo down to the 4th with Barron/Gus. Or Iafallo to the second line, Perfetti back to C and Names down to the 4th.

Either way, much better problems to have than in the past where our 4th line was basically useless.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They may elect to move Cole back to center and have Namestnikov center the fourth line. We really haven't gotten much from that line lately and his play driving would be a big boost.
That's another possibility.
It may come down where Cole is more effective - and they might try him again in the middle to determine that.

But in the end (IMO), I think the orgs priorities will be (in this order):
1 - Building the best top line as possible - add Vilardi
2 - Building the best shut down line as possible - Add Lafallo
3 - Let Cole continue to develop his NHL game on the 2nd - and not mess with it too much unless the wheels begin to fall off - NO changes yet

Pure speculation - there are a ton of ways to manage this and I wouldn't be surprised if they try a few different approaches as they look for the best solution.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I couldn't watch the full game. But both teams played really well. TBL when Vas comes back could make some noise.

Reactions: RabidOne

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It may come down where Cole is more effective - and they might try him again in the middle to determine that.

3 - Let Cole continue to develop his NHL game on the 2nd - and not mess with it too much unless the wheels begin to fall off - NO changes yet

Pure speculation - there are a ton of ways to manage this and I wouldn't be surprised if they try a few different approaches as they look for the best solution.

Yeah, it's tough as all three of the top lines are clicking pretty well. Hard to justify moving anyone out of their spot.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The 1st goal was vintage Stamkos.

I still couldn't believe it went it. It was really the only spot it could go to go into the net. Helly's form on breakaways seems to have changed. He really comes out and challenges players now. They panic and shoot and he makes it look easy.

I am really happy we won that first game. I think it takes the pressure off on the road trip and allows them to loosen up a bit. Florida has been playing some good hockey be nice to beat them and then clean Nashvilles clock in the last game

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree with your approach regarding Vilardi on the first line, Iafallo on the 17 line and Appleton to the fourth. Makes every line better.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

Kind of agreeing with this one. Appleton has been lights out but I really think out of anybody he's the one benefiting from that 3rd like setup; I don't think he's the one making it click as much as Lowry and Nino are and Iafallo I think would be an upgrade there.

Reactions: RabidOne

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
There was a few minutes where it looked like the team was gonna get caved in but we survived and eventually untilted the ice. I thought Barron was going to bang one of those in close chances in, he had a couple of dangerous chances.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad