Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Bolts 2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
10-2-1 since starting 1-3-1. Should we go back to those early game threads and repost some of the comments of how bad this team is and how bad they are going to be this year? :sarcasm:

Most of the comments early on were about how we were actually playing really well and needed patience. Definitely nice now that our tending is rebounding tho

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
maybe we should go back even farther - to last year at this time when our team was lookin GREAT! :laugh:
So essentially what you're saying here is "Don't put the cart before the horse", which is what Mrs. Columbo - not the fake Kate Mulgrew one - relayed to you once upon a time? :)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
10-2-1 since starting 1-3-1. Should we go back to those early game threads and repost some of the comments of how bad this team is and how bad they are going to be this year? :sarcasm:

I may be a pessimist, but I try to look at facts and logic before coming to my conclusions. I was angsty early in the season because the Jets played well enough to win, but weren't getting the points. I bought into this year's team really early. Last year, there was a two week window where I was buying into the team, and that was in January.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Any team could have signed him as a RFA last summer with virtually no compensation coming back and nobody did.
How was Chevy going to trade him?
My bad, forgot he was an RFA. Should have been dealt at the deadline last season.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Do not sit on whisky. You may find a day when you cannot drink it and the saving will have been for naught. Perhaps a special occasion in the not to distant future, but otherwise the approach is foolish.

I have a lot of whisky, had a plan, had opportunity to buy a lot. Loved it, drank it in moderation (six bottles per year). Then I got sick and my consumption has plummeted. My tastes have changed. I have some special bottles I will not ever enjoy as much as I would have when I bought them. YMMV.
Excellent advice, my friend. Especially after my recent cardiac event.

Fortunately, my abstention now is short term. Once I get off various meds, I shall resume our tradition here of a wee dram three or 4 nights a week. The only reason I sat on those bottles is that (a) they were both gifts and (b) they're more than $600 each.

So you know which whisky I'm going to start with when I get the okay from Nurse Ratchet to resume drinking!

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It’s great to see Scheifele and Connor playing so much better this year. Scheifele’s effort and defensive game is so much better. Connor? Well, his defensive game is still a work in progress. But he’s putting some effort into it now.
I think spreading out the minutes between four lines is a huge reason for this improved play.
Of course, Wheeler’s influence gone probably has something to do with it as well.
Lowry is a great captain!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The biggest change I see in the Jets great play this year, all stems from the buyout of Wheeler ( trouble) and the trading off of the discontented Dubois. You can only win in the NHL right now, if all players are buying in and playing as a team -- which they are. You can see the body language on the ice is great now, and the players are playing with determination, and enthusiasm.

Players I really like that have been added, are Names, Iaffalo, and Villardi will add even more. Barron is playing good, and should be possibly moved up to the 2nd line. Appleton has played very well this year as well.

Also the top line with Scheifele, has taken a leadership role, and Scheifele has a "new attitude" which has also sparked Connor, who could have a career year.

If the Jets could add an impact defenseman on the right side, I think they could contend for the Stanley Cup. An impact defenseman would have to be a guy like Buff, or of similar quality, or like a Morrissey with some size and grit. We're very close right now to the old 2018 team.
Talent-wise, the current Jets are not that close to the 2017-18 team. Our C depth back then was Scheifele-Stastny-Little-Lowry. We had two top defensive pairs (Enstrom-Buff and Morrissey-Trouba). Prime Wheeler. Prime Laine. Little was our 3C and our other bottom 6ers were Perreault, Copp, Armia, and Tanev. Compare that to a C depth of Scheifele-Namestnikov-Lowry-Gustafsson and Morrisey-Demelo, Dillon-Pionk?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Talent-wise, the current Jets are not that close to the 2017-18 team. Our C depth back then was Scheifele-Stastny-Little-Lowry. We had two top defensive pairs (Enstrom-Buff and Morrissey-Trouba). Prime Wheeler. Prime Laine. Little was our 3C and our other bottom 6ers were Perreault, Copp, Armia, and Tanev. Compare that to a C depth of Scheifele-Namestnikov-Lowry-Gustafsson and Morrisey-Demelo, Dillon-Pionk?

Jets will likely add a 2C and a top 4 RHD at the deadline if they continue playing this way all season to give them the best chance in the playoffs. When that happens, you're looking at something close to the 2017-18 Jets team.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I saw only the first period before heading out to work. (So tired of this gig but the money's too insane to quit.) Scanning the board and watching the Sportsnet recap this afternoon, it sounds like I missed a really good one.

One thing I did notice and I don't think anyone's commented on was the fact that Connor is backchecking! At least twice in the first period, he pumped hard to catch the puck carrier entering our zone and poke-checked. He may have done more later in the game but it's not the sort of thing that makes highlight packages.

If our forwards are backchecking well and our poor D men are blocking shots with their bodies, it's no wonder we've racked up 7 wins in our last 8 games. Sure, the NHL game management refs are going to try to force a tied score for the third period so our success isn't guaranteed, but the effort is delightful to watch. Let's keep it up with our next game (which I also have to miss).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
On one hand I'm loving that some of our more pessimistic posters have hopped on the positivity train, but on the other hand I'm dreading the atmosphere in here when we hit the skids for the for the first time (as most teams will at some point)

It's a long season... let's not let the good stretches get us too high or the bad stretches get us too low

Agree - but that shouldn't stop us from legitimately questioning when things go wrong. It is the other side of the coin from cheering them on when things are going right.

Memories of last year's second half are keeping me grounded so far this year. I'm really enjoying the winning right now, but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. :laugh:

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets will likely add a 2C and a top 4 RHD at the deadline if they continue playing this way all season to give them the best chance in the playoffs. When that happens, you're looking at something close to the 2017-18 Jets team.
Agreed, I think Chevy buys something with the first if we keep this up. Any time we've had a real shot at the cup he's been a big buyer.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If our forwards are backchecking well and our poor D men are blocking shots with their bodies, it's no wonder we've racked up 7 wins in our last 8 games. Sure, the NHL game management refs are going to try to force a tied score for the third period so our success isn't guaranteed, but the effort is delightful to watch. Let's keep it up with our next game (which I also have to miss).
I was thinking about this yesterday and came to the conclusion that the idea that teams need equal-ish opportunities on the PP is a byproduct of how our society/culture values "fairness" so highly. The refs are just reverting back to their subconscious kindergarten selves

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That’s 2 big adds but agreed Chevy might get aggressive if he thinks this team has any type of real chance to go deep. He was definitely reluctant to put our 1st into play last season but if we are fighting for the first couple spots in the division who knows. I’d prefer targeting players with term over pure rentals.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The biggest change I see in the Jets great play this year, all stems from the buyout of Wheeler ( trouble) and the trading off of the discontented Dubois. You can only win in the NHL right now, if all players are buying in and playing as a team -- which they are. You can see the body language on the ice is great now, and the players are playing with determination, and enthusiasm.

Players I really like that have been added, are Names, Iaffalo, and Villardi will add even more. Barron is playing good, and should be possibly moved up to the 2nd line. Appleton has played very well this year as well.

Also the top line with Scheifele, has taken a leadership role, and Scheifele has a "new attitude" which has also sparked Connor, who could have a career year.

If the Jets could add an impact defenseman on the right side, I think they could contend for the Stanley Cup. An impact defenseman would have to be a guy like Buff, or of similar quality, or like a Morrissey with some size and grit. We're very close right now to the old 2018 team.

I was opposed to buying out Wheeler not wanting any deadcap next season when he was still a pretty useful player but in hindsight it has been huge. The Jets miss him and his vision on the PP but hard to argue they aren't a much better team at 5v5.

Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That's actually a very balanced configuration. I would find a way to give the 2nd through 4th line similar minutes distributed, while keeping the 1st within the 17 to 18 minutes range; no one should be gassed by the backhalf of the season, in this scenario,

I think Gus playing with Names and Ehlers is fascinating. They cover for him defensively, while freeing him up to play his style. It also frees up Perfetti IMO.. It balances out what's currently the 2nd and 4th lines.

I don't consider our current 3rd line as anything less than a 3rd line - it's our key line - but I like your idea.

Why? The 2nd and 3rd lines are getting between 13-16 mins a night. The players on those lines are much better and that is not a heavy workload. I am good those lines playing much more than the 4th. Once Gabe is healthy the 4th line is better off exploiting matchups rather than diluting the talent through all lines in the name of running balanced lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino