Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Canes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
A win is a win, but there are a lot of concerning trends with this team as pointed out earlier in this thread. The team appears to be greatly outplayed in most recent games despite minimal injuries.

Jets' scoring is regressing to what should be expected. Right now they are 11th in gpg. At the beginning of the season, I had them finishing 16th - 18th overall.

Reactions: hn777

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The announcer botched the Ehlers goal and I cannot forgive that. It's like if your job was to cook burgers and you forgot the patty. Oh woops

This team seems to lack cohesiveness and were clearly outplayed in this game. The Jets need better play up the middle from their centers. Carolina schooled them in puck possession.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Bowness has to stop playing 7 defensemen especially when that 7 defenseman is Stanley. He brings nothing to this team except stupid penalties and throwing the puck up the boards blindly. 7 defensemen also screws up all the lines except the 1st line, seemed like the lines were different all game. Great game from Brossoit and Ehlers and now we have a winning streak going again, lets boogie.:nod:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Puck = in net.

Eelhaus = spinorama celly.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 3.57.56 AM.png

Canes = dumbfounded

Last edited:

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
What an exciting game to be at! The military band was super. Who knew a trumpet could be so much fun. The uniforms surprised me. I didn't think I'd like them, but yeah, nice.
This. I immediately had a feeling it was a live trumpet watching the game on TV. The piano/organ guy we currently have for games is too boring and predictable. I loved the trumpet lol.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Bowness has to stop playing 7 defensemen especially when that 7 defenseman is Stanley. He brings nothing to this team except stupid penalties and throwing the puck up the boards blindly. 7 defensemen also screws up all the lines except the 1st line, seemed like the lines were different all game. Great game from Brossoit and Ehlers and now we have a winning streak going again, lets boogie.:nod:

Well, regarding Stanley, there's 31 other teams that would love him to continue playing games as a Jet :naughty:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Willing to bet if we are down 2-1 that type of call goes against us.

On FB there is a page where baseball umpires are graded based on their calls vis a vis balls and strikes. I know the NHL is watching but I'd like to see someone who has the ability to watch every game, not live of course, and record all missed calls by the officials with the teams involved and game score and who the penalty would be called on and against.

I'm willing to bet a definite pattern would emerge on which officials are letting the most things go(or completely missing calls) and to the benefit of which teams and the detriment of the others.
The refs are supposedly graded after every game. Would love the NHL to make those grades public, especially the "missed calls' section.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I didn't have a problem with the refs.
Stanley will be waived once Heinola makes the roster.
Stan shows glimpses of potential, but he's 25..... Idk, maybe it's never going to happen. Last night he looked lost in the d coverage so many times. Plus one or two zone entries where they gave him a lane.....and he dumped it in. Ughhhhhh. He just looks like a guy with no plan.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Oh yeah. I really wish they would fix that f***ing back end so we wouldn't have to keep doing 11F 7D. That's a large part of the reason why the jets weren't as effective last night. Chisholm's 2nd NHL game in 2 years, and he's riding shotgun to Stanley. I don't hate Stanley, but I hate what his existence represents for this organization. We are eight years out from the 2015 draft, and we're still doing this shitty sunk cost fallacy. He's not gonna get any better. f***ing waive him already and let somebody claim him. He isn't Zdeno Chara or Tage Thompson. He isn't even Tyler Myers. Stop it.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Oh yeah. I really wish they would fix that f***ing back end so we wouldn't have to keep doing 11F 7D. That's a large part of the reason why the jets weren't as effective last night. Chisholm's 2nd NHL game in 2 years, and he's riding shotgun to Stanley. I don't hate Stanley, but I hate what his existence represents for this organization. We are eight years out from the 2015 draft, and we're still doing this shitty sunk cost fallacy. He's not gonna get any better. f***ing waive him already and let somebody claim him. He isn't Zdeno Chara or Tage Thompson. He isn't even Tyler Myers. Stop it.

It's even more wild that Stanley (and Chisholm for that matter) finished anywhere close to Samberg in TOI. Not sure why Samberg's minutes fluctuate so much.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Canes are a great team and I could never figure out why they can’t make it out of the east. The play man to man and forechecking like crazy … all the Jets had to do was finished their checks and take the man out of the play to neutralize them.

Great move by Bones starting your backup against a top team. LB is back … woohoo.
Its a great system if you have fast, responsible players with size, which they have.

I think the big problem is its hard to play that way over a 7 game series, especially if the other team is physical and you have some ot.

Also, when you play the same team over and over, you can break that system by flying a forward and flipping the puck out to neutral ice. That pulls the D back and their system collapses somewhat.

Man on man also exposes skill matchups, which we saw a few times last night. There's a reason almost no teams play that system any more.

I think their big problem is that they don't have that elite goalscorer. I'd make a big push to get Laine if I was the canes and he was available
Lol! Can you imagine big lazy mopey Laine trying to play a man to man system?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It's even more wild that Stanley (and Chisholm for that matter) finished anywhere close to Samberg in TOI. Not sure why Samberg's minutes fluctuate so much.
I missed all the pre game chatter.....why did they do this? Where's Schmidt?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Still concerning.... how the Jets still struggle to put the puck in the net.....
The Jets are 15th in the league in overall gpg and that's with a subpar PP.

They are .65 off the top team which would be 13 goals over the season.

So no, I don't think the Jets are struggling to put the puck in the net

I’d probably trade Connor for a few of their D like Slavin.
Why on gods green earth would you do that? We don't have a problem preventing goals. If we did that we might see a bit more prevention but it would decimate our top 6.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I missed all the pre game chatter.....why did they do this? Where's Schmidt?

I'd heard that there was some question of both Samberg's and Dillon's health. As far as I know Schmidt is healthy.

As for the why they specifically went with 7 including both Chisholm and Stanley and not just one or the other :dunno:

Maybe they liked what they saw from Chisholm in his first game but were planning to get Stanley in again regardless. Maybe they weren't super impressed with AJF and figured they'd get some more TOI to higher end forwards beside Gus.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
That was an impressive game by LB.

The refs let a lot of stuff go for the Canes.

I liked the retro jerseys just not the yellow gloves.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jets 31

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Well, I started the full clench in warmups because Brossoit was in goal. By 10 minutes in, the clench was due to Jets skaters not Brossoit.

Nice to come out on the right side of someone getting Goalied. But this homestand stretch has really brought to light limitations in this team's game.

Anyway, a win is a win. Go Jets Go!

None

Feb 22, 2012
It was 100% a penalty. Demelo poked his stick into his feet and he stepped on it. That's textbook.

Yep, automatic call as unfortunate as it is. Happens both ways multiple times a season and really isn't a big deal. I'd rather players get their sticks as close as they need to to disrupt plays.

Reactions: kanadalainen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad