Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Canes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets are 15th in the league in overall gpg and that's with a subpar PP.

They are .65 off the top team which would be 13 goals over the season.

So no, I don't think the Jets are struggling to put the puck in the net

Why on gods green earth would you do that? We don't have a problem preventing goals. If we did that we might see a bit more prevention but it would decimate our top 6.

Yup, to me if we can get a LW with some pace to play with Cole and Gabe we could be golden.

We could then run a 4th line with Iafallo, Namestnikov and Barron on it.

I don't mind the idea of also getting Walker to upgrade our RD.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Took a lots of balks to start brossoit just because his gear was so slick - paid off

Still not sure I understand what Stan was on the active roster though

Reactions: Inanna and sipowicz

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The Jets are 15th in the league in overall gpg and that's with a subpar PP.

They are .65 off the top team which would be 13 goals over the season.

So no, I don't think the Jets are struggling to put the puck in the net

Why on gods green earth would you do that? We don't have a problem preventing goals. If we did that we might see a bit more prevention but it would decimate our top 6.
The whole mantra that goals win games, defense wins championships .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yup, to me if we can get a LW with some pace to play with Cole and Gabe we could be golden.

We could then run a 4th line with Iafallo, Namestnikov and Barron on it.

I don't mind the idea of also getting Walker to upgrade our RD.
That 4th line 😍

As much as Bones loves to trot out the 1st line, giving them a couple minutes less a game would allow them to be far more explosive and fresher for the playoffs.

I know I'm in the minority but I think our d should be given the opportunity to prove themselves this year. We can do a couple of things internally to facilitate this.

Waive 88 and 64 and call up 77 and activate 14.

If those guys clear, great, that's emergency depth. If not, so long!

The whole mantra that goals win games, defense wins championships .
Yup, we're much more balanced now and the team is good defensively because of the way the forwards are playing

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
That 4th line 😍

As much as Bones loves to trot out the 1st line, giving them a couple minutes less a game would allow them to be far more explosive and fresher for the playoffs.

I know I'm in the minority but I think our d should be given the opportunity to prove themselves this year. We can do a couple of things internally to facilitate this.

Yup, we're much more balanced now and the team is good defensively because of the way the forwards are playing

Agree. I think betting on Chisholm and Heinola with Capo as backup is a healthy risk that needs to be taken at this point. It seems pretty clear that Stanley has reached a plateau.

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019
It was the type of performance that the Winnipeg Jets were hoping for when they brought Laurent Brossoit back into the fold

The only problem was that, through his five starts, the 30-year-old had yet to rekindle the form that bounced the Jets from last season’s playoffs. It’s a storyline no longer after Brossoit stopped 42 of the 43 shots he faced against a relentless Carolina Hurricanes team, backstopping the Jets to a 2-1 win at Canada Life Centre on Monday evening. “Tonight was the reason we signed him,” head coach Rick Bowness said. “He was the difference, there’s no question.” Brossoit even liked the early barrage. “To be honest, I kind of like to get a lot of shots early and often, gets me into the game,” Brossoit said. But what really mattered on the night was Brossoit feeling like himself again.
More like I did last year,” the 2022 Stanley Cup champ said. “Now I’m looking to harness that and continue on, on that path.” It’s a much better one than he had been on, with all five of his previous appearances finishing sub .900 in save percentage. “It’s something I’ve been building towards,” Brossoit said. He posted a .977 save percentage against the Canes. Brossoit said he and the team saw the high shot volume coming, which could be a bit of an excuse for getting outshot 12-0 through the first 16 minutes. Maybe the Jets just lulled the Hurricanes to sleep, as Kyle Connor scored on Winnipeg’s second of three shots in the period. Either way, Brossoit was sensational between the pipes, closing the door early, often and giving the Jets a fighting chance when Carolina came bearing down on them in the third period. “He was pretty incredible,” Nikolaj Ehlers, who scored the game-winner in the second period, said. “Our goalies have been outstanding all year. But when they get going like they do, and they keep getting first on pucks, we need to get a little better there. “We have to get pucks out, all of us, and get pucks deep. They create some turnovers that led to them getting a lot of O-zone time. So, that’s something that we’ve got to clean up.”

The Rod Brind’Amour-led Hurricanes are a shot volume team, and they lived up to their lofty 60% possession rate so far this season, controlling it 62% of the time during Monday’s game. “You gotta tip the cap,” Brossoit said. “They were playing fast, they were playing hard. They earned a lot of chances and then I thought in the second two periods, even though they had a lot of shots, our guys were keeping them to the outside and letting me see pucks.. The publicly available analytics suggested that Winnipeg gave up 14 high-danger chances to their own eight, they were out-attempted 65-40 in the game at 5-on-5 and out-chanced 27-22.

Bowness didn’t seem too bothered by it. “They were getting a lot of outside shots,” he said. “They had a couple inside, but so did we.” With special teams playing no part in the game, the Jets won the 5-on-5 battle in the end, outscoring Carolina 2-1. “That’s a great hockey team over there, that was a helluva hockey game,” Bowness said. “I’m not worried about the start. Give them credit. We bent a little bit, yeah. But you’re not going to dominate, you’re not going to go out there and dominate that team.”

Roll back the calendar a couple of years and the discombobulation would have been evident. You would have witnessed a Jets team flustered and out of sync. That hasn’t been the case this year, even when the team has been outplayed. There’s far less panic amongst this roster. They can withstand an early siege, and showed Monday they could contain one of the league’s perennial Cup contenders when it mattered most while nursing a one-goal lead in the third. The difference between back then and now is fairly simple — it’s not happening nearly as often. You run Monday’s game 10 times, and the Jets probably lose the majority of them. And that’s fine, so long as this team doesn’t play the same way those 10 times. The trend just past the quarter mark this season for the 13-8-2 Jets suggests they’d come at it next time from a different angle. We’ll find out in March, when the two teams meet for the second and final time during the regular season, if that holds true.

[email protected]

X: @scottbilleck

Nov 24, 2006

My gut says no one touches Schmidt on waivers but I do think Stanley gets claimed. But I'd be fine if both cleared and gave Capo some time.

Reactions: Jet

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There is a fine line between throwing everything at the net and waiting for prime shots. I think Carolina shot every time they had the puck 50 feet from the net and honestly as the game went along it killed a lot of the fore checking pressure they might have been able to sustain. We boxed them out of the front of the net very effectively and limited the high danger chances. Brossoit was great at containing the rebounds.

I hate these long pre game shows. I always find that home teams come out soft after those. Don't like the 11F/7D as well. No flow to the lines. Thought Chisholm and Stanley were both just ok but playing 7 D sucks and any D can tell you that.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A bit of a fooling yourself win, as 75 % of the game was played in the Jets end, and most times you'll lose. I guess the Canes have, and have always had, trouble getting goal production. They only scored one, and it was bounced off a skate of Demelo ( flukey).

I think the Jets have to tighten up a lot, and be more consistent, against top teams like Carolina, or their play will come back to haunt them, and us, with a long losing streak. Hope it doesn't happen tho.

Anyways, I'm happy to win ugly, rather than lose pretty. :nod:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
:laugh: It was no Rembrandt. A Picasso might be exactly what it was.
Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Martyr Patricio Clito Ruíz y Picasso

He don't need no stinking badges...

pablo-picasso-portrait.jpg

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The refs are supposedly graded after every game. Would love the NHL to make those grades public, especially the "missed calls' section.
I'd love that

First, people would understand how hard it is to ref hockey. These are the best refs in the world and they miss tons of calls

Second, fanbases would see that once the games are broken down objectively, refs miss roughly the same number of calls on both teams. For example, take the poster in here that said that the trip on wasn't a penalty on us. Now, imagine the exact same play buy against us... he'd be hollering for a call

Our biases make it hard. There's a reason both fanbases can (and usually do) say "the reffing was against us tonight" after a game

I got into it with a parent from the other team the other day when I was watching my daughter. The ref did a bad job and lost control of the game... but missed calls on both teams. He, of course, only bitched about the calls that didn't go their way. So I told him to shut the f*** up... went over pretty well lol

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A couple of posters have said we need a speedy winger to be put on that 2nd line, and I agree. I think the answer is to drop Ehlers back down to the 2nd line, for those offensive zone entries, and then get the puck back to Cole, to set up a nice play. I think Ehlers is the "key" to making that 2nd line work. His speed and stick handling is incredible.

I think the Jets front office has to repopulate the uniform design department personnel. Ugly uniforms in my opinion.

Reactions: hn777

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
@None since my RDR playthrough has been on hiatus for a few months, I'm thinking about doing some GTA playthroughs over the next year to get warmed up for GTA 6. III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV and V.

As well, I think Brossoit must be excited for GTA 6 too as he put together a Hellebuyckian performance last night. My guess is he figured he was close to being waived and then released, and without a contract he could be hard-pressed to afford the new game in a couple of years. There. Now this post is on topic.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Canes have a good team probably the best top 6 defensemen on one team in the league. They will dominate parts of a game against every team in the league but to keep that up for 60 minutes is very very tough to do.
Maybe I'm bias but I thought the Jets had more dangerous shots on net than the Canes ... they just missed the net half the time so it didn't count as a SOG. If Connor could hit the net he could have had a hat trick easy.

Remember at the beginning of the season how everyone was saying the east is so much better than the Western teams.
Well newsflash ... Jets are the only team that has not lost in regulation time to an Eastern team.
7-0-2.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Canes definitely shoot from everywhere and have a lot of low quality chances but they also had some great high quality chances as well. During the change at the end of the 1st shift of the game alone they generated like 3-4 grade-A chances in close including rebound shots. Many teams don't get those types of opportunities all game and they generated them only at the end of the 1st shift.

They are also very good at going to the net and corralling rebounds for secondary chances so even if the first shot isn't high quality they are able to generate some chances on secondary opportunities off of rebounds or broken plays in front of the net.

Any news on Namestnikov's injury?

Day to day, they said they hope he can play in one of the games on this upcoming roadtrip.

Reactions: kanadalainen

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Also I think the Schmidt bashing has gone a bit too far and we probably need to cool on that a bit. He is clearly better than Stanley and it is not clear Chisolm is better than him either, lets give him a few more games to see. It is quite possible that everyone other than Heinola might be a downgrade on Schmidt. I get people are not fans of his salary but the Jets are paying him anyways and cap savings from waiving him are minimal, if that's the case then may as well use the better defender eve if he is overpaid for his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad