Jesse Puljujarvi Possible Breakout Season.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Scheifele is a prime example of Puju? Or of what a PuJu development arc might look like in a best-case scenario? IMO they're not particularly similar players.
Development in best-case scenario.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Development in best-case scenario.

Scheifele still managed 34 points (63 games) his first season.

This thread is awesome tho. Oilers fans overhyping him.

Pretty much. For 19 years old and fresh off the boat so to speak he’s doing fine. He’s the least of our worries.

Its his second season in NA. Can't use the fresh off the boat excuse anymore.

Nylander for example had 38 pts in 45 games and then 12 in 22 NHL games his second NA year.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017

Nylander for example had 38 pts in 45 games and then 12 in 22 NHL games his second NA year.
Pulju at 23p in 67gp total atm, still hope for him yet. Development isnt always linear in real life, others take longer to reach their peak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
He's doing fine. His defensive play has been good for a young player and he has shown flashes of offensive talent, though the imbecile running the Oilers powerplay, Mr Woodcroft, seems allergic to trying him on the powerplay despite him having the best shot on the team. It's probably a good thing though, if Puljujarvi started to show sings of becoming a star, he'd probably get traded for Luke Schenn or Erik Gudbranson by the worst negotiating GM in the NHL.

Serious question, does the PP coach decide who is on the PP or does he have to work with what the HC decides?

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Serious question, does the PP coach decide who is on the PP or does he have to work with what the HC decides?
it doesn't matter who decides. They are both on the same page. They are joint at the hip and probably finish each others sentences. This is why Woodcroft still has a job despite his horrible performance as a coach.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
it doesn't matter who decides. They are both on the same page. They are joint at the hip and probably finish each others sentences. This is why Woodcroft still has a job despite his horrible performance as a coach.

Of course it matters, if the poster I quoted is going to call the guy an imbecile for not trying him on the PP but he has nothing to do with the decision making then it is completely imbecilic to blame him for not trying him.

Call them tied to the hip all you want, and maybe you're right, but the decision comes down to one guy. Who is that? If you don't know then just say so. ;)

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

In his first season he had 1 point in 7 games. In his second season he had 0 points in 4 games.
Only in his 3rd season he had 34 points in 63 games.

But yea, lets ignore the first two seasons, call the third his first, and use this to mock the Oilers fans.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
He hasn't looked good for the last nearly 20 games. He seems to struggle with decision making, and at times just looks paralyzed.

I don't understand why the Oilers don't send him back down to the farm, they're not doing him any good in the NHL, he doesn't even look close to ready for it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Please. Nylander can’t even lace his own skates unless he’s stapled to Matthews.

You know Nylander was born in Calgary, right? He hasn’t been fresh off the boat since he was a fetus.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Nylander moved to Europe as a teenager.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
In his first season he had 1 point in 7 games. In his second season he had 0 points in 4 games.
Only in his 3rd season he had 34 points in 63 games.

But yea, lets ignore the first two seasons, call the third his first, and use this to mock the Oilers fans.

I think the mockery is calling it a "season" when a guy plays 7 games as an 18 yr old and 4 games as a 19 year old. Let's get real. His first season in the NHL was in 13-14 as a 20 year old when he played in 63 games.

Reactions: Voight

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Will eventually end up as an Evander Kane type. Just shoots. I guess that's not a bad thing when you have the privilege of being on McDavid's line.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
The Oilers offence by the start of next year (this year is a longer shot for Yama even though I reckon he's earned it) could be

Maroon - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto/Strome
Jokinen - RNH - Strome/Kassian
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian/Slepyshev

Pretty much a perfect mix of scoring, defensive ability, leadership, size and physicality. As a very biased Oiler fan that is frighting for the rest of the the league.
I'm shaking in my boots.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Nylander for example had 38 pts in 45 games and 12 points in 22 NHL games his second NA year.

Actually, In Nylander's first season in NA he didn't see the NHL ice and he had 32 points in 38 games in the AHL.

In his second season in NA (your numbers were wrong) he had 45 POINTS in 38 AHL GAMES (thought I would add 'AHL' as you seem to conveniently omit that from your post) and in that same 2nd season in NA he posted 13 points in 22 NHL games.

Puljujarvi, who continues to work on overcoming a significant language barrier, has not done as well but in his first 22 games of his 2nd season in NA he had 11 points in his first 22 NHL games.

In those first 22 NHL games in their second season in NA, they were nearly identical in age. Nylander did play an extra 2:00 TOI/GP than JP, all of it PP time.

Player development is not equal for all players. I think most Oiler fans are satisfied... not ecstatic with JP's development... I am satisfied. The team has been brutal and the coaching equally as bad... that's where my main concern is, as I hope that does not hinder his development on the go-forward.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
just a suggestion but you should watch guys play before passing judgement in them.

William Nylander plays 75% of his shifts with Matthews: ‘elite player, what did I just read, watch players before you judge’

Leon Draisaitl plays 50% of his shifts with McDavid ‘lol just a product of McDavid, overrated, cant produce on his own’

Mmmkay boys.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Oh Winter Soldier... How I love to laugh at your posts.

What post is this? I would be happy to discuss it more with you if you have the capability of going into more detail?

This thread reminds me of the Barzal thread where some blue and white fans actually inferred he was a bust when he was sent back to junior in his D+2. This is going to be such a nice thread to bump down the line.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
William Nylander plays 75% of his shifts with Matthews: ‘elite player, what did I just read, watch players before you judge’

Leon Draisaitl plays 50% of his shifts with McDavid ‘lol just a product of McDavid, overrated, cant produce on his own’

Mmmkay boys.
I thought Matthews was a mediocre playmaker who didn't make the players around him better

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
He is still young and has time to grow. I don’t think he will live up to the draft hype he received.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Highly doubt he will be a bust. Whole team plays like **** our so called veterans don't have much to mentor the kid right now as they can't even figure out their own game. Sad really. Probably one of the most players I'd be worried about on the Oilers going forward

Good post. Oilers have been a mess this year to pretty much everyone's surprise. Puljujarvi is not in the most ideal situation. For those that have watched him play, he has actually progressed well this year. Looks far more assertive, and you can see it will be just a matter of time he turns into a 35-35, 70 pts player. He will not be a bust. The intentions of Bumping this thread yesterday were obvious. But do not worry, I read the same thing that inferred Barzal was busting when he was 19 also. And we know how that turned out. I am confident Puljujarvi will make this thread bump worthy in the future. Just wait. It's going to be glorious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad