Jesse Puljujarvi Possible Breakout Season.

member 147413

Did the leafs just win the stanley cup on Pulju's own goal or why is the thread filled with gloating leafs fans? What have I missed?
You missed Puljujarvi being compared to Nylander as a teen that came over to NA to play in the AHL. A more than fair comparison as both are highly drafted prospects, one seeing more success than the other.

Shortly after an Oiler fan tore down Nylander, as a result Leafs fans came to defend Nylander. Seeing as there are a significant amount of Leafs fans on this board, a lot of them posted in response. Unfortunately we took the trolling bait and have lured in posters taking pot shots at Leafs fans, such as yourself.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
PSA for Leafs nation. We aren't Bob Nicholson.
Can the fans do absolutely nothing to propagate the cause? I get the obvious chain of command but we can see even the Isles fans putting up a billboard to get the teams/medias attention.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Can the fans do absolutely nothing to propagate the cause? I get the obvious chain of command but we can see even the Isles fans putting up a billboard to get the teams/medias attention.
Lol We tried that with “Lowe Must Go” way before the Islanders.

And it did nothing.

member 147413

Lol We tried that with “Lowe Must Go” way before the Islanders.

And it did nothing.
It’s honestly ridiculous that off ice politics have affected the on ice roster/product. Sorry you guys are stuck with an owner who’s head is so far up his own ass.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
William Nylander plays 75% of his shifts with Matthews: ‘elite player, what did I just read, watch players before you judge’

Leon Draisaitl plays 50% of his shifts with McDavid ‘lol just a product of McDavid, overrated, cant produce on his own’

Mmmkay boys.

I've said nothing about Draisaitl, I think he is an excellent player who will have a terrific career.

You said Nylander can't tie his own skates without Matthews, to which I suggested you haven't seen him play if you really believe that. Simple.

Reactions: Kelly

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Actually, In Nylander's first season in NA he didn't see the NHL ice and he had 32 points in 38 games in the AHL.

In his second season in NA (your numbers were wrong) he had 45 POINTS in 38 AHL GAMES (thought I would add 'AHL' as you seem to conveniently omit that from your post) and in that same 2nd season in NA he posted 13 points in 22 NHL games.

Puljujarvi, who continues to work on overcoming a significant language barrier, has not done as well but in his first 22 games of his 2nd season in NA he had 11 points in his first 22 NHL games.

In those first 22 NHL games in their second season in NA, they were nearly identical in age. Nylander did play an extra 2:00 TOI/GP than JP, all of it PP time.

Player development is not equal for all players. I think most Oiler fans are satisfied... not ecstatic with JP's development... I am satisfied. The team has been brutal and the coaching equally as bad... that's where my main concern is, as I hope that does not hinder his development on the go-forward.

I thought it was obvious when i specified "13 in 22 NHL games." Typically, when you see that, you assume the other stat line was from the AHL. But hey, I'm not here to judge anyones reading comprehension.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I thought it was obvious when i specified "13 in 22 NHL games." Typically, when you see that, you assume the other stat line was from the AHL. But hey, I'm not here to judge anyones reading comprehension.

You say you are not judging my reading comprehension when in the prior sentence you do just that... OK.

My reading comprehension is just fine... and, no, people do not automatically assume that when you only state one league in the same sentence.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
It’s honestly ridiculous that off ice politics have affected the on ice roster/product. Sorry you guys are stuck with an owner who’s head is so far up his own ass.

While it would seem impossible I'm pretty sure he can manage to get it a bit further.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I still have high hopes for the player. A lot of Oiler fans seem to think Yamamoto is going to be their savior but I honestly think he'll bust. He's simply too small, and he isn't dynamic as Gaudreau/Kane to make up for it.

But Puljujarvi I see all the skills, I think it'll take some time for him to get use to the speed of the NHL, and to grow into his body.

I'd still bet he becomes a 60+ point 2-way 1st line RW, and when he gets there, he'll be a huge part of the solution for Edmonton.

Reactions: Ippenator

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
JP is getting Yakupov’d by TM. Getting almost zero PP time, third line minutes with Khaira as his center. Not many players will put up points in that situation.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
JP is getting Yakupov’d by TM. Getting almost zero PP time, third line minutes with Khaira as his center. Not many players will put up points in that situation.

Kind of sounds a little like how the Isles handled Nino back in the day. Of course there were other factors involved surrounding his rookie season, but he wasn't going to produce on the 4th line with Marty Reasoner as his center.

I was a big fan of Puljujarvi in his draft season, I saw a lot of Blake Wheeler in his game. Like him, could be a late bloomer. It's about putting him in a position to succeed, something the Oilers haven't been very good at with their kids over the years.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Kind of sounds a little like how the Isles handled Nino back in the day. Of course there were other factors involved surrounding his rookie season, but he wasn't going to produce on the 4th line with Marty Reasoner as his center.

I was a big fan of Puljujarvi in his draft season, I saw a lot of Blake Wheeler in his game. Like him, could be a late bloomer. It's about putting him in a position to succeed, something the Oilers haven't been very good at with their kids over the years.

I agree with this.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

They seem to favour young North American players while the young Euro players have to “earn” things like PP time and top six minutes.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
As someone who hopes for the best for Puljujarvi, is there an explanation for his play and production this season? I assume it’s too early to worry?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
McLellan loves his vets.

Have to earn your ice time. That's why Lucic and Cammalleri(who have combined for 2 goals in their last 73 games) are consistently played ahead of him.

He hasn't done much with the spurts of ice time he gets, but you can't really expect much from a guy getting 12 minutes per night with no PP time.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
McLellan loves his vets.

Have to earn your ice time. That's why Lucic and Cammalleri(who have combined for 2 goals in their last 73 games) are consistently played ahead of him.

He hasn't done much with the spurts of ice time he gets, but you can't really expect much from a guy getting 12 minutes per night with no PP time.
McLellan is a horrible, horrible coach for any young talents. How the Oilers even manage to get those kind of coaches to ruin their talents? Just sad.

I was watching still a lot of the Oilers games last season and even part of this season, but stopped it already a while ago, as I got completely fed up with the idiotic coaching that McLellan is doing. Just disgusting coaching.

Lets see about watching an Oilers game again when the lepreauchan is hopefully gone soon.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For Jesse's sake, he needs to come to Carolina and play on a line with Aho and Teravainen. And don't go asking for any our good players back, because frankly, we don't have very many good players, and this isn't about that, it's about Jesse (and we are looking just to fleece Chia here).

Again, My only concern is for Jesse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad