Jesse Puljujarvi Possible Breakout Season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leads the AHL in scoring book it! This was the breakout season op was alluding to right?
I see him making his way back to the NHL this season. It's a long year, and injuries do happen. Also his play in the AHL may just force the Oilers hand. Though it is funny that when Draisaitl was recalled he was not exactly setting Bakersfield on fire with 2 points in 6 games.

Reactions: JMcLeaf and Grant

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I see him making his way back to the NHL this season. It's a long year, and injuries do happen. Also his play in the AHL may just force the Oilers hand. Though it is funny that when Draisaitl was recalled he was not exactly setting Bakersfield on fire with 2 points in 6 games.

So he will get called up only because of an injury and because the Oilers are understaffed and have no choice, and not because of his breakout pre-season game 8 days ago?

Already wrong just 8 days later. Great hockey "analysis" you got there, as always. :laugh:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
2 points in 6 games is still solid for a prospect that age. It's 0.33PPG in a pro league. If Puljujarvi manages that this season, he's well ahead of Mikko Koivu's career curve for example.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So he will get called up only because of an injury and because the Oilers are understaffed and have no choice, and not because of his breakout pre-season game 8 days ago?

Already wrong just 8 days later. Great hockey "analysis" you got there, as always. :laugh:

Take it easy there Bullie. It's hockey. We are not saving lives here. lol. Players have breakout seasons yearly. The 1st game has not even been played yet. Plenty of time for Puljujarvi to still have a breakout season.

Reactions: JMcLeaf and Grant

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Take it easy there Bullie. It's hockey. We are not saving lives here. lol. Players have breakout seasons yearly. The 1st game has not even been played yet. Plenty of time for Puljujarvi to still have a breakout season.

Now now, no need to get frustrated with name calling...

"Plenty of time to still breakout"... So that pre-season game 8 days ago wasn't his breakout game, eh? :laugh:

Reactions: ThewThew

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Hard to imagine Yamamoto delivering consistently game after game. He was on fire in the pre season but that does not mean regular season. I'm not saying Pulju would do more damage than him in that top 6/mid 6 role either. Both might need a stint or two in the ahl before lighting it up in the nhl properly

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I just can't see the hype with him. He doesn't create plays on his own. That is not worthy of a top 5 selection. It's alright though, since Yamamoto looks like he's going to be a star player. It balances out a bit.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Yes, Puljujarvi can make it back from the minors, he has the talent. He will have to play well for a time period that is longer and more important than one pre-season game.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
How is he looking now that he's been back with Edmonton for awhile? Advanced stats don't seem that bad. Who is he usually playing with?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How is he looking now that he's been back with Edmonton for awhile? Advanced stats don't seem that bad. Who is he usually playing with?

Puljujarvi is playing fine. Pace of around 20 goals over a full season, solid advanced stats, responsible defensively, largely playing 3rd line minutes with no powerplay time - because our PP coach is a drooling idiot apparently.

He just looks like his peak is that of a 30-30 guy as opposed to an 80/90 point player.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Puljujarvi is playing fine. Pace of around 20 goals over a full season, solid advanced stats, responsible defensively, largely playing 3rd line minutes with no powerplay time - because our PP coach is a drooling idiot apparently.

He just looks like his peak is that of a 30-30 guy as opposed to an 80/90 point player.

Plenty respectable in this league and still good value at 4th overall.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Still believe he could be a PPG guy after a few more season, Scheifele is a prime example.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yikes. This must be one of those “make a thousand crazy predictions and revive the thread if I somehow end up right, but let it die on page 65 if I’m wrong” threads.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Games I have seen him in, he looks great. Just needs to finish better. But 20 goal pace is terrific for a Finnish developed 19 year old. As I always say give Finnish players some time, they cannot all adapt as quick as Laine, some are more like Barkov. But looks good to me this year. He will get PP time soon enough. Then we shall see where things lie.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Still believe he could be a PPG guy after a few more season, Scheifele is a prime example.

Scheifele is a prime example of Puju? Or of what a PuJu development arc might look like in a best-case scenario? IMO they're not particularly similar players.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Reading the Oilers boards, it seems as if fans are starting to get down on Pulj, calling him Yak 2.0, and basically calling him useless for the last 20 or so odd games. Definitely less than stellar reviews, that's for sure

Reactions: Voight

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Reading the Oilers boards, it seems as if fans are starting to get down on Pulj, calling him Yak 2.0, and basically calling him useless for the last 20 or so odd games. Definitely less than stellar reviews, that's for sure
Highly doubt he will be a bust. Whole team plays like shit our so called veterans don't have much to mentor the kid right now as they can't even figure out their own game. Sad really. Probably one of the most players I'd be worried about on the Oilers going forward

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's doing fine. His defensive play has been good for a young player and he has shown flashes of offensive talent, though the imbecile running the Oilers powerplay, Mr Woodcroft, seems allergic to trying him on the powerplay despite him having the best shot on the team. It's probably a good thing though, if Puljujarvi started to show sings of becoming a star, he'd probably get traded for Luke Schenn or Erik Gudbranson by the worst negotiating GM in the NHL.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

That’s your first problem: you’re reading the tire fire known as HFOil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad