Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He isn't really an elite skater though, right?

He wouldn't do too well in a foot-race with the likes of Helm, Grabner, Karlsson, Cogliano or McDavid?

He's the best skating prospect the Oilers have had in ages - better than Nurse IMO and Cogliano can go fast in a straight line but had wide turns as I remember in his time with the Oil.

If Draisaitl had Puljujarvi's skating - he'd be ****ing elite. Nobody would even compare him to Barkov then :)

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Trading Yakupov for air was a mistake Jimmi. He can contribute on this team, and yesterday showed would have been a fine winger for McDavid while Eberle and RNH got their chemistry back.

[mod]

His mindset was to move on even if he was playing well in Edmonton.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Uh...

Is there a reason you're beating that poor strawman to bits with this post?

Not a straw man at all. Go look at a lot of the posts from this summer, where posters who stated that it might take time for him to adjust were ganged up on.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Makes you wonder if Puljujarvi would've been handled the same if he'd been a Winnipeg Jet.

It's clear Winnipeg is determined to force-feed Laine into greatness, and they're getting an immediate payout. He makes a lot of mistakes and looks a bit out of it every now and then, but you can see he's determined to keep moving forward. Last night he was one shot away from going from hero to zero(though a point is still a point) but the opponent didn't score and he got another chance. Clearly the coaches are willing to let him play through his growing pains. Edmonton has another strategy, after apparently trying the Winnipeg approach and failing many times before. What Jesse needs the most right now is top6 minutes, what he's playing is grinder minutes. AHL should do him some good since the big club doesn't need him at the moment.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not a straw man at all. Go look at a lot of the posts from this summer, where posters who stated that it might take time for him to adjust were ganged up on.

I could use the same style of hyperbole to describe those posters who "stated it might take time for him to adjust" as you did.

Please find me one single post that was written like the one you did.

You won't be able to. I'm willing to bet that 99% of posters said he would have an adjustment period. Some felt it could be done at the NHL level. Posters like yourself insisted that it had to be done at the AHL level no matter what.

He isn't going to adjust to the NHL by playing in the AHL. That's not how it works for elite level players, which by all scouting reports :] is.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Interesting table in the story from EDM journal.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...ime-in-pressbox-during-carolina-game-ahl-next

Puljujarvi is 4th best winger in the scoring chance differential over 3 games. Was expecting him to be a bit lower.

All these people saying how terrible he is playing, yet they can't point out any mistakes that he is making, and the number back up the fact that he is doing just fine in a limited role.

It seriously seems like fans want him to fail so that they're opinion of him can be validated.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Hilarious set of posts.

Please give this kid some time.

He's not Matthews and he's not Laine, but he has a pretty impressive skill set.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
It is so sad that we got this kid instead of Laine. That would have been perfext.

Why, because Laine had a good game last night? Because that's the only reason to say this. Will you come back and post the same thing when some other draftee has a good game, too?

Oilers were blessed to get Pulju. Nothing has changed.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Wish we could stop arguing about this kid.

He's not a better prospect than Hall like people were going on about when the Oilers drafted him, but he's not garbage. The Oilers likely have a pretty good young player in him, but he needs time to get up to speed in the AHL.

I hope he succeeds.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I could use the same style of hyperbole to describe those posters who "stated it might take time for him to adjust" as you did.

Please find me one single post that was written like the one you did.

You won't be able to. I'm willing to bet that 99% of posters said he would have an adjustment period. Some felt it could be done at the NHL level. Posters like yourself insisted that it had to be done at the AHL level no matter what.

He isn't going to adjust to the NHL by playing in the AHL. That's not how it works for elite level players, which by all scouting reports :] is.

Taking a quick look at page 1 of this thread shows you advocating him starting off in the top 6, so there's that...

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I don't get the negativity towards Puljujarvi at all. People are giving up on a player who was projected to turn into a Kovalchuk type with the pedigree he has after four games? It's like watching people attack Stamkos in his rookie season.

:rolleyes:

The kid just needs ice time to figure it out.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don't get the negativity towards Puljujarvi at all. People are giving up on a player who was projected to turn into a Kovalchuk type with the pedigree he has after four games? It's like watching people attack Stamkos in his rookie season.

:rolleyes:

The kid just needs ice time to figure it out.

I'm not sure where you're really coming from here.

1. There's really no negativity in here. Just realistic eye tests, and it's criticism of the fact that's he's still in the NHL. No one is blaming him.
2. It's pretty clear that in those 4 games, that he isn't ready for the NHL. For a team that has been lambasted year after year for rushing prospects, your opinion seems...less fitting.
3. Everyone is promoting for him to be sent to the AHL to work on his game more and work up towards the NHL. No one is upset that he hasn't figured it out in 4 games.
4. Many 18 year olds don't cut in the NHL to begin with, unless they are clear cut 1st overall picks that are legitimately ready to step into the league.

What do you think is better? Letting him play limited minutes, learning bad habits in the NHL because of the need to keep up or playing top end minutes in the AHL, learn the NA game with the size of the rink and speed and develop?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
laugh at people saying Puljujarvi is no where near as good as Liane or Mathews. Both those guys are getting prime minutes. The oilers are much deeper at forward. If Pulj was given the same minutes and opportunity as those guys he might also have had a had trick or whatever. He is very close to both those guys, time will show how good he is.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
laugh at people saying Puljujarvi is no where near as good as Liane or Mathews. Both those guys are getting prime minutes. The oilers are much deeper at forward. If Pulj was given the same minutes and opportunity as those guys he might also have had a had trick or whatever. He is very close to both those guys, time will show how good he is.

Puljujarvi is just raw compared to those guys. Even Laine is quite raw compared to Matthews.

With the right development, Pulju is in that same category as those guys, IMO.

But keeping him up and giving him low end minutes isn't going to do anything for him. Giving him top end minutes was overwhelming for him, which is in no fault of his own. Just needs time.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not sure where you're really coming from here.

1. There's really no negativity in here. Just realistic eye tests, and it's criticism of the fact that's he's still in the NHL. No one is blaming him.
2. It's pretty clear that in those 4 games, that he isn't ready for the NHL. For a team that has been lambasted year after year for rushing prospects, your opinion seems...less fitting.
3. Everyone is promoting for him to be sent to the AHL to work on his game more and work up towards the NHL. No one is upset that he hasn't figured it out in 4 games.
4. Many 18 year olds don't cut in the NHL to begin with, unless they are clear cut 1st overall picks that are legitimately ready to step into the league.

What do you think is better? Letting him play limited minutes, learning bad habits in the NHL because of the need to keep up or playing top end minutes in the AHL, learn the NA game with the size of the rink and speed and develop?

What is there to show that he shouldnt be in the NHL? HE is amongst the best on the club for scoring chances for/against. How is he going to learn bad habits while learning the NHL game on the 3rd/4th line? wouldnt he be more likely to learn bad habits by playing against weaker competition in the AHL like other highly regarded Oilers prospects did during the lockout.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What is there to show that he shouldnt be in the NHL? HE is amongst the best on the club for scoring chances for/against. How is he going to learn bad habits while learning the NHL game on the 3rd/4th line? wouldnt he be more likely to learn bad habits by playing against weaker competition like other highly regarded Oilers prospects did during the lockout.

You'd think by now this board would have learned that rushing prospects isn't wise. I guess not. It's pretty clear when you watch pulju play that he's a step behind the game in strength, anticipation and pace. Confidence is a real thing. In and out of the lineup and 8 minutes a night when he does play isn't going to do him any good. Let the kid go and focus on developing his offensive skills in NA at an appropriate level to his current abilities.

There is this bizarre argument that all you can learn in the AHL is bad habits. It's the 3rd best league in the world and plays the closest style to the NHL out of any of the pro leagues.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You'd think by now this board would have learned that rushing prospects isn't wise. I guess not. It's pretty clear when you watch pulju play that he's a step behind the game in strength, anticipation and pace. Confidence is a real thing. In and out of the lineup and 8 minutes a night when he does play isn't going to do him any good. Let the kid go and focus on developing his offensive skills in NA at an appropriate level to his current abilities.

There is this bizarre argument that all you can learn in the AHL is bad habits. It's the 3rd best league in the world and plays the closest style to the NHL out of any of the pro leagues.

Thats bizarre that you would try to imply that I said such a thing.
It is equally as bizarre to say that a player cannot adjust to the NHL game and develop in the NHL on the 3rd line, that is not rushing a player. But I guess all it takes to know everything about a player is 3 games where he plays limited minutes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Thats bizarre that you would try to imply that I said such a thing.
It is equally as bizarre to say that a player cannot adjust to the NHL game and develop in the NHL on the 3rd line, that is not rushing a player. But I guess all it takes to know everything about a player is 3 games where he plays limited minutes.

Three games and all of preseason. Teams are expected to make that decision whether the player is ready or not every year. The oilers seem incapable of making the right decision half the time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Three games and all of preseason. Teams are expected to make that decision whether the player is ready or not every year. The oilers seem incapable of making the right decision half the time.

In the same vein, then sending him down could be equally the wrong move because they aren't good at decision making.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
He isn't really an elite skater though, right?

He wouldn't do too well in a foot-race with the likes of Helm, Grabner, Karlsson, Cogliano or McDavid?

Probably not, but none of those guys is 6'4/210 lbs. Pulju's size/speed combo is absolutely elite. His speed is probably not among the best but it's still borderline elite. His acceleration is very good but edgework needs some work.

Keep in mind he isn't in the top mid-season form right now. His body hasn't adjusted to the NHL speed and his current condition clearly lags behind. He is wearing out his legs quicker than normally. Once he gets his legs going and gains some durability I am sure he will stand out as one of the elite skaters in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad